Write about your job

Write about your job.

I shitpost on the internet all day and read books when I'm not. I'm a NEET.

The end.

I'm an independent artist, part of a art-group idea creation machine of four other men. One of us is independently a successful (i.e. selling enough to support himself) contemporary artist, another of us is having solo shows although not selling much, and the other three of us, myself included, are mostly hanger-arounders who come up with ideas but as far as being shown mostly turn up in group shows or show as our 'collective', which we sometimes do. My role manifests as writing press texts for our show as often as it does actually creating art works. We're also a record label and we've put out some 7 records in the last 2 years. Our forthcoming record is a rather arch and 'inside-jokey' bootleg of a record from 12 yeaers ago produced by a band whose membership included an artist we both admire and despise - this artist emerged in the art market through a sort of 'poison pen' art blog which semi-anonymously critiqued the stupidity and banality of various contemporary art trends and artists - and this record we're bootlegging is the rather sincere indie rock record of a side project of a fairly major indie rock band. One of the members of our collective believes that this artists involvement in a 'sincere' indie rock band undermines his position as an ironic and negative art critic vis-a-vis his now mostly defunct art blog. The rest of us, or at least me, don't think this supposed 'sincerity' is nearly as unaligned with his blogging career as the one member thinks it is, but we all still support (and have supported financially) the release of the record as an expression of all of our past relationships with indie rock, an art scene in-joke, an interesting take on appropriation, and am ambivalent expression of the relationship of art and music, as well as a kind of trollish love letter to this artist who's on it. But I digress.. lol. Did a shot of cocaine and am shooting myself down.

Just got a job at a warehouse, scanning shit and putting it in boxes for 10 hours every night while my family is at home sleeping.

Oh and maybe the fundamental justification for the release of the record that I forgot is our communal understanding of the power of art as being fundamentally tied to the 'social' and to proper names and places - it's only in retrospect that art is placed in its sort of transcendental ivory tower. In making this directed social gesture we hope to indicate the ways in which art is profoundly bound up with social networks.

hes still here. still mediocre

Living the NEET life but just had the weirdest job interview of my life the other day.

Pls do tell

i pretend i can predict the future

I can't believe you guessed my identity! I didn't even mention all the sweaters I've stolen from American Apparel! Started feeling guilty after I bankrupted them!

I've been a paramedic for a year. I don't think there's many other jobs that can really make you this anhedonic.

I work at a grocery store, basically doing other people's shopping for them so they can swing by within a certain hour and get all their groceries in only the time it takes for me to put everything in the trunk.

I find it funny sometimes that so many items get put on the shelves by employees just to be taken off by other employees for different purposes. Then there's always items we have to go and put back on the shelves for some reason or another. I push around the semi-truck of shopping carts, which is a constant hinderance to anyone shopping near me. I always have to be on alert to see if I'm not blocking someone's path or a section of shelves people want to look through. Very often I pardon and excuse myself down an entire aisle because it's crowded and I need things throughout it.

It is a constant struggle to keep from talking out-loud to myself while I work. I find it effective most times just to listen to music in my head and get a few lines stuck on loop so I don't have to deal with thinking while I scan through rows of canned food.

I'll greentext it out:
>be me
>20yr old taking a year off from college
>want to find a job to stay busy and make money
>apply for anything and everything on job websites and craigslist
>receive email about a resume I submitted on craigslist a few weeks ago
>schedule an interview for the next day at 7:30am
>the position is for a receptionist position at a well known local law firm
>go to the office the next morning
>giant sign with "JESUS" hanging over front door
>proverbs 3:5-6 etched into the cornerstone
>its the south so I'm not too suprised
>look up bible verse just in case it comes up during interview
>go inside and wait to be interviewed
>administrative assistant comes in and interviews with me, normal interview questions
>asks if I go to church
>lie and say I'm thinking of going to Episcopalian or Catholic mass since I have the time to on my year off
>finish interview with assistant and she leaves
>girl my age comes in after her
>go over a lot of the stuff the admin. assistant went over but its fine
>explains details of the job
>she leaves and says the owner wants to come and interview me as well
>wait for a few minutes
>owner comes into the room
>he has snakeskin boots on, three golden rings, a custom tailored jacket, and a heavy, embroidered dress shirt on
>introduces himself and opens up with standard interview questions
>its very clear this man has the biggest ego of anyone I have ever met
>suddenly asks if I go to church
>give the same answer as before
>"well this is a well known christian firm and we represent many churches in town. We can't -"
>breaks off mid sentence
>"we pray together, talk about scripture, and work for churches so this is very important to us."
>say I understand, comment on the bible verse outside
>his face and demeanor suddenly change
>begins talking in a completely different syntax
>"God has given me a gift. And I share this gift to all who follow me. I have never lead anyone astray with my gift as God has given it to me. HE commands me to change the lives of those around me. My gift is all powerful and has helped me, my family, and every one of my clients. Do you believe I lie to you?"
>wtf.jpg
>never explicitly says what the gift is
>goes on a long tangent about how he MADE his sons the presidents of their class in high school
>how he MADE his daughter a beauty queen champion
>how he MADE his wife principal of the year in my state
>says he was the brains behind it all
>I'm currently lost as fuck during this whole conversation
>says he can make me a millionaire, no, a multi-millionaire
>all I have to do is listen, follow his instructions, and remain absolutely loyal to him
>I constantly say "right", "wow", "really?" like an idiot because I have no idea what to say
>goes off on another tangent about how in the 90's he was driving a Rolls-Royce, had Rolexes, and was the most successful man in town
>"Then I received three, THREE serious death threats"
Cont.

stock broker?

>"I made my only mistake, underestimating the power of jealousy"
>says a pastor told him to put the bible verse on his building to protect him
>he didn't receive any more death threats after that
>"Later, I realized why God had allowed those death threats to come to me."
>"My son received a death threat in high school and I knew right away how to handle it"
>IWantOffMrLawyersWildRide.png
>then asks me if there's anything in my past I need to tell him about
>"No, I'm perfectly clean"
>"Well if you ever need a lawyer, you call me"
>proceeds to make me write an essay about why I want to work in his office
>another girl comes in to collect the paper and asks me more questions
>"Do you go to church?"
>give the same answer, for the third time
>she thanks me for my time and tells me they'll call me after they talk to more canidates
I should have known any man with snakeskin boots was crazy, but I didn't expect him to think he has a divine mission from God to give people advice. I think I'll accept the job if they offer it to me but I won't be upset if I don't get it.

I'm a cna so I wipe old people ass for a living. Though on monday I am taking the Med aide state test which will allow me to pass meds at the nursing home I work for. Being a med aide will help me with my long term goal of becoming a nurse and also get me away from wiping ass. I didn't realize how much I disliked wiping ass until the opportunity to stop doing it presented itself.

fuck that made me laugh.
I mean, it's actually pretty sad that this insane guy controls and manipulates his family like that. But I could perfectly picture your bewilderment

phd student in optoelectronic thin films. Ie next generation solar panels.

I'm not too enthusiastic about it (for one I think people obsess too much about climate change), but it pays the bills and I'm good enough at it that I don't have to put in much work.

people lie
even to themselves
instead of uprooting the lie and finding the cause
its more important to escape the dicotomy of truth and lie
and just do whatever the fuck you want
except kill yourself, kill others , or talk about sex.

Insane.

I felt like I was on the verge of joining a cult with all the religious rhetoric and talk of loyalty.

i am a programmer but got bait-and-switched into an administrative role, which is just a "put out fires" job where i mostly just wait around or repeatedly call other people to remind them to do what i asked them to do days/weeks ago... feels like the information age equivalent of an assembly line job in a factory- where I am someone who just observes powerlessly and reports "this thing is broken, someone needs to fix it" to indifferent middle management, but i never actually do anything or make anything myself

need to move into more creative work and finish some side projects or i'll probably die of boredom and the stress of the opportunity cost of spending all this time at the office doing low value work...

How many cases of alcohol poisoning you seen?

I can only imagine, you're probably right.

>grad student
>bang 20 year old women undergrads
>try to fail or mark hard any white males with black framed glasses, tattoos, or anything that screams soyboy bugman from Veeky Forums

life is good

Do they seriously make ironic noise albums that come out like pop? Or is this the joke part that they indulge in?

I wish I were as cool as winter and be apart of that pod.

I sell tacky t-shirts through Amazon and make minimum wage equivalent

Ha! This was good.

i do social research at a internationally high-ranked institute. most of the time iam chilling at the office, during the surve phase there is not much to do

I work with people, caring for people, there's lots of different professions involved. My profession is supposed to be the leading force in the strategies that are employed to make people become better, but some other profession has gained its own standing and cannot be commanded around by my profession although as part of the job this is what is necessary. The people we care for mostly have conditions that cannot be influenced to relevant degree, so most of our value derives from our ability to prognosticate. The matter is so complex and large that even the smartest most hard-working people still have to fake part of their expertise well into advanced middle-age.
Somewhen around 5 or 6 AM I come home to do research which mostly involves doing statistics that is either boringly simple or so complex that you need to get a "black box" view on the methods used.
Three to five weeks per semester I teach undergrads in the clinical work, which is interesting because they don't know shit generally but are very impressionable and have self-esteem that is in no relation to their worth.
This job makes you feel worthless, although it is glorified. It's a train that you get onto when you're too young to be certain about the consequences and the difficulty of quitting increases with time proportionally to your frustration.

I'm an attorney. People get into trouble, I get them out of trouble.

I am a help desk agent at the local school board. The work is frustrating and boring but the pay is decent. I went to college for this.

Guaranteed a call at least every other shift, usually every shift.

I can somewhat relate. I work 12 hour night shifts at a plastic factory packaging medical products.

Unemployed and about to travel the world, heyyyyy.

Night stocker at a 24-hour grocery store. I've had the job for about two years while pursuing an AS, majoring in biology, goals of medical school and working in a hospital. I'm the only person on the eight-person crew with educational goals. My co-workers are middle-aged alcoholics, pot-heads and petty criminals. Conversations usually involve music, television and sports. All of them are trying to fuck the 32-year old single mother of four, the only female on the crew and probably the only female they ever encounter in their daily lives. There is security in the job because nobody my age wants to work nights or weekends, which is the only time I have to work because of school. Every Saturday night some drunk cunt stumbles in with her dumbass kids wanting to know where the ping-pong balls are. Putting up back-stock is always a pain in the ass because the backroom is usually full of freight from other departments that we have to work around. The job has a high turnaround rate; people work a couple of nights and then quit. I hate the work, hate the people, hate the management. I've never asked for a raise, never tried to switch my schedule, I don't go out to the parking lot to get high during the break or complain to anyone. We've been stretched pretty thin lately and it has gotten around to management that I want to quit. I have been offered time off but I know it's just a game they're playing to get me to stay. I have no friends or social life. I feel ostracized from a community that I desperately wish to be a part of but doesn't seem to want me. Depression and thoughts of suicide are a daily occurrence.

I work 6 to 7 days a week as a sailing instructor for adults. I sail modern fiber glass boats and 100+ year old gaff rigged sloops. I like it but the hours are long and the commute is brutal.

I want to do ocean sailing but haven't had any good opertunities yet. I've also been expelled from college and I miss the easy sex and alcohol but not the dull lectures and busy work. I just wanna sail and read and drink.

I also help rigg and derigg the boats at the end of the year. And I know basic wood work and fiber glass repair.

You're just like my bud Will. Cheers man try saving up until you can sail away

Getting out of night shift will help. I only work as late as 10pm now, it helps your frame of mind.

How do you get into the sail life? Do you know if Maine is a good place for sailing jobs?

Amazon?

Shooting dildos with a laser gun aint nearly as exciting as it sounds.

I feel ya. Same kinda job and I quitting soon. Try to hang in there.

Im just starting out trying to get into back end dev (C#/.Net), dont have a college degree. Any advice on how I can get my first entry level dev job?

I work in construction. I'm a labourer. All I do is lift heavy shit and sweep up debris all day. You might be surprised but I enjoy it. The exercise does me good, I like that I don't stay in one place for too long and I don't feel ashamed to tell people what I do (whereas if I worked as a waiter I'd be ashamed of it). Hopefully I can learn how to operate machinery then I will get even more money.

Was at university studying history but I thought fuck It, my heart just wasn't it.

Learn to sail. Or have friends that sail and will teach you. Alternatively, work in the marine industry as a sail maker, boat builder, dock hand, etc. It's not hard to find jobs in these areas without experience. Keep in mind that you will be starting from the fucking bottom, and I mean bottom. Like sanding 8 hours a day for 6 months. You'll make friends and those friends will have friends and some of those friends will have boats.

I don't really recommend Main but mostly because I fucking hate Main. Rhode Island has a very active sailing community as does Boston, and New York, on the east coast.

In the sailing world, as elsewhere, connections are everything. It's also fucking small, so you gotta be really careful not to burn too many bridges.

Or, if that all sounds round-about. Go to a Maritime Academy. I'd recommend Mass Maritime. It's really fucking good but it is a 4 year school. Alternately, a shorter trade school/program like IYRS in Newport.