Just finished it. It was amazing

Just finished it. It was amazing.

Discuss it with me, Veeky Forums.

I thought it was pretty good...I mean....not like great.

I think the whole thing was, "OMG! It's a comedian who actually wrote an actual novel type book, BY HIMSELF!"

Like yeah....I mean...considering that it's good, but it's not an actual great funny book.

Haven't read it but I think this will be the first time I'll go with an audiobook.

I actually started reading it, went a number of chapters, and after an hour or two decided to get the audiobook and read it at the same time.

Great decision. I was reading it in his voice anyway, so it was even more enjoyable like this. But I wouldn't go with the audiobook alone, for the nuances.

It just gave me this huge HST vibe. Funny enough, there's an HST thread on the first page right now too, but a couple of days ago, when I was reading the chapter where they were driving to Vegas early on, I just couldn't fight off that feeling. And of course, that stayed constant to the end.

Out of the books I've read this year, I'd place it on third, after Laurus and The Master and Margarita.

Maybe the worst post I've read to date.

The molestation bit was hilarious

I laughed at it, but when I really lost it, and I mean when I actually couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes, was the autoeritic asphyxiation part.

suggest some interpretation se we can discuss, pea brain

I would have if I had anything to say, clearly.

I just, liked it and wanted to discuss it.

Does Norm read the audiobook?

Yep.

Yes and it's glorious.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, you want to discuss it but all you have to say, after reading it, is that it's amazing? I'm sorry if that's rude but this would be a ridiculous premise for a thread.

Well, yeah. "Discuss this book" is no ridiculous premise for a thread. I guess I could've worded it more along the lines of "How did you like this book, Veeky Forums?" or whatever, but fuck that.

I guess I could've mentioned how, to me, it felt a lot like HST, or that it's my third favorite book I've read this year in OP, but those worked just fine as replies too, didn't they?

If you make a thread, don't just ask for anons to make the thread. Do suggest something about the book.

>Do suggest something about the book
It was a good book.

Discuss.

Why?

The prose was like butter, it was really funny at parts, the story was compelling and very memorable, the gambling sections (specially the Atlantic City section. Not the current day part, the one about how the addiction started) were thrilling, the three main characters stand on their own... and the audiobook was really enjoyable...

... and some other reasons too, I guess.

Good, work on it and in time you might have something worth making a thread, user.

t. autist

>Out of the books I've read this year, I'd place it on third, after Laurus and The Master and Margarita.

Damn, that's high praise. I'll check it out.

Norm MacDonalds is a great comic for sure and I only hope he does write the novels he talks about because he sounds to me like a real reader, liking the russians and all, he's pretty funny, like his humor

i read it and now i've already forgotten all the best jokes

but i'll shill it too, it was great fun. it's a novel not an autobiography. almost reads like vonnegut in norm's voice

That part's great. But you're missing the earlier part, which is brilliant too.

good point, thanks

this part had me laughing pretty hard too
>“I just remembered, Al Franken wants the Update spot, and he’s been lobbying pretty hard for it. The truth is, he’s much more qualified than you. He’s been on the show since its inception, and there’s nothing concerning politics or satire that Al is not on intimate terms with, whereas you’re an illiterate nightclub comic.” There was a lot of truth in what Lorne said, but it was really starting to get on my nerves.
>“Look, Lorne, what if I was to tell you that if Al Franken were to step aside and allow me to host Update, I could make him a United States senator?”
>“How could you possibly make that happen, Norm?”
>“I know people.”
>I was telling the truth, but only technically. I did know people—more than two dozen, in fact—but none who could help make a civilian into a senator. It was a huge bluff, but Lorne bought it.
>In an interesting sidebar, Al Franken, buoyed by the idea that the fix was in for him, ran for office in 2009 and became the junior senator representing Minnesota. He has not been heard from since.

Obsessive Norm fan. I thought it was just okay. His humour doesn't translate well to the page, and he isn't a witty writer, so I never actually laughed once during the book. I liked it because it was Norm but really it's not that good from an objective viewpoint. I might listen to the audiobook though, that should make it funnier.

Youtbe showed me a KFC ad where Norm was dressed as cl. Sanders. does he have a thing for KFC?

He was colonel like 2 years ago

It's really fun but he repeats a lot of stuff he said on Norm MacDonald Live.

Also, does anyone definitely know what his deal is with alcohol? He constantly says he doesn't drink, and often implies he never has, but then he's told stories that aren't even jokes and he mentions details like "I was in a strip club in Winnipeg at noon drinking a beer."

I disagree, I think his humor works great on the page, but I didn't laugh all that much because I had heard all these stories before from his podcast/appearances on late night shows in the 90s.

Had I been reading these things for the first time, I think it would have been hysterical.

If he writes a book with completely new material, I think it would have the potential to be a classic.

But by this logic someone unfamiliar with norm should consider this book a classic

The first part of the book is pretty brilliant. Where he makes up a believable story, and you're kind of doubting it but you still go along with it, then later you feel like an idiot, thinking, "Dude, I seriously believe he got molested by a guy named 'old joe," I'm a fucking moron."

The rest of the book is ok, it's a little mad-libby, not great but good.

Yeah, if they like that kind of humor.

I don't know...I've heard other people tell stories about him saying he either never drinks or uses drugs, to people who say he's a total alky or addict.

I think probably he just finds it funny to spread that misinformation, kind of like what he does with the book.

Damn publishers spamming Veeky Forums. Go make subvert marketing elsewhere faggots.

Norm's gotta get gambling money somehow.

it is plebbitors. Norm is literally plebbit: the comic

Are you serious? Norm is the most patrician of stand ups.

You probably like Bill Hicks.

I once drained my testicles all over Bill Hicks' taint in a dallas convenient store bathroom. Damn right I like him.

He's apparently a teetotal. Apparently, he never liked the effect of drink, and while he was a chainsmoker, he quit in the 00s.

OP here. Fuck you.

Hell, I'll even give you piracy, if you're too lazy to go check libgen and torrentz for the epub and audiobook respectively.
mega: #F!51Q0waSI
key: !4Ut-eePQr9YSjHJJTQs7Ew!E1wD3CYQ

he's off the xans doe

u showd him! this is OUR board. wat a looser.

The ironing: the post.

Amazing

I kinda suspect he just likes to add that to his stories to give them some kind of old timey feel. Just like how he would host with an unlit cigarette between his fingers.

Norm's a fastfood, sports gambling and benzos kinda guy.

Norm is beloved on reddit...doesnt mean he sucks