Ordered this bad boy

Ordered this bad boy.

What am I in for?

Presumably Plato's work

Are you sure?

I feel like reading this in English is pseud as fuck. If i'm serious enough about Plato that I want to read his complete works, I should be proficient in ancient Greek

But then you have the Roman literature as well, so you should learn Latin as well.

But then he'd have to learn Sumerian first.

the completed works of plato

Everyone studying philosophy should know Latin and Greek, yes.

We are actually all from Africa so you need to take psychedelic drugs and become a part of a nomad tribe to become one with mother Gaia. Then you're ready for philosophy

Studying Latin on the side alone, Ancient Greek must be really tough.

Once you jump over the hurdle of having to memorize a different alphabet, it can't be that much harder than Latin.

I read both latin and greek, but you don't need either of them. That's bullshit put out by people who spent years learning it mostly so it would pump up there otherwise weak resumes.

Look for highly regarded translations. You'll get what you came for.

Yeah well I got whats in the pic on the OP. Was tempted to get the Allan Bloom translation of The Republic but I can just get that as an ebook anytime I want if I'm no satisfied.

Greek you can skip, but you should study Latin if you're trying to be a serious scholar. Too many fundamental primary documents were written in the language. It was the lingua franca of the educated European elite for hundreds of years.

A true scholar should know Ancient Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Sanskrit, Chinese (classical), Egyptian (hieratic), Arabic, Farsi, German, French, and English.

I only speak French though.

Not Italian for Dante or Spanish for Cervantes?

I feel like the other way around is more likely but the importance is understanding the text in any language and what it communicates. Engaging with the text like you're part of the dialogues.

A book full of toilet paper you find in public restroom. The words printed on it is fun to read though

Mudshits need not apply.

Prepare to get warped and woofed

Comfy conversing.
Set aside some time, get some wine and meat, wrap yourself in a sheet and lay down on a couch with some harp music playing.
The only way to read Plato.

>calling them mudshits
>while including Egyptian and Arabic

>We are actually all from Africa
debunked

A dude with no friends who ends up writing a self-insert story about his teacher and one other acquaintance to justify why he'd be the baddest philosopher-king around.
Oh that and that assertion that plebs are idiots.

Socrates is fiction.

About 2/3 of the way through Parmenides you're going to want to throw the book at the door. It's kind of bullshit imo. Other dialogues are good though. The first four in this collection (Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, and Phaedo) are all great.

>no Japanese for anime

>Ancient Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Sanskrit, Chinese (classical), Egyptian (hieratic), Arabic, Farsi, German, French, and English.

>no Italian

Pseud detected.