Humor = Tragedy + Distance

Humor = Tragedy + Distance

All humor has at its core a tragedy for someone, but that tragedy is made funny to the audience by their distance from the tragedy either physically (Watching someone else get hurt is funny, but if such pain had happen to the viewer it would not be funny) or temporally (9/11 jokes are quite funny to many Americans now when they wouldn't have been in 2001)

This applies to all humor and all tragedy.

Humor is tragic to those closest to it.

Tragedy is hilarious to those removed far enough from it.

why do i find pic related funny then big guy?

Because you're a sick fuck

Distance = Humor - Tragedy

All distance, all space, is the difference between something that's funny and something that's sad. If something is far away, that is because it is more funny than it is sad. If something is close, that is because sadness and funniness are nearly equal, you neither laugh or cry. That's why distant stars are hilarious, but your nipple is almost neutral.

What about this? Where is the tragedy in this? She got what she deserved, no? She learned a valuable lesson.

That's not entirely true.

Tragedy ceases to be slapstick funny, especially by way of violence, very quickly. It's because if you aren't a psychopath, you have this thing called intuitive sympathy. By nature you are curious enough to wonder what it might be like to be the object of abuse, and for a moment, you shudder, before shaking back into the complacency that comes with being detached from it.

Algebraic rules don't apply to theatre class, johnny

The idea that all comedy has to be at someone else's expense is a bullshit myth propagated by people who want an excuse for being assholes.

This is quality right here

You got too close to the tragedy, so it stopped being funny.

the tragedy lies within the devilspawn that was created in that ordeal

That's clearly a tragedy to the bitten pup. Look at the fear in his eyes, you insensitive prick. He's literally in the jaws of a beast, staring right at the fangs which maul his little snoot. Oh my.

This post = Self-Indulgence + Autism

So mostly autism

>assuming tragedy has an additive inverse
I'm gonna need a proof of that, yo.

Assuming base 10, it's actually

-Distance = Tragedy - Humor

The negative distance is equal to its tragic value minus its humor value.

All jokes have a victim.

Even puns have a victim, namely the listeners who are forced to make the connection in order to understand the jokes.

Even knock-knock jokes (Orange YOU glad I didn't say Banana?)

Lit can't into math? Base is irrelevant, you have no numbers here... Algebraically these are equivalent.

Quin. Francis Flute the Bellowes-mender
Flu. Heere Peter Quince
Quin. You must take Thisbie on you
Flut. What is Thisbie, a wandring Knight?
Quin. It is the Lady that Pyramus must loue
Flut. Nay faith, let not mee play a woman, I haue a beard comming

How much lsd did you have to smoke to see tragedy in this?

Well you are technically right. There is still an evocation of tragedy in this picture. Otherwise it would not be funny.

He's literally pleading to not play a part and is being forced to play it. Tragic, in a sense.

I can't help but to agree. Nothing is funny unless someone is the victim of something, even if he's a victim to himself.

We are a sick species.

Q: How do all the oceans say hello to each other?
They wave!

Q: What did one wall say to the other wall?
I’ll meet you at the corner!

Q: What do you call cheese that isn’t yours?
Nacho cheese!

Q: Where do cows go for entertainment?
To the moo-vies!

Q: Why did the elephant paint himself different colors?
So he could hide in the crayon box!

These are all tragic, in a sense.

>puns

See I'm the victim of these "jokes"

The tragedy is the writer of the jokes who thought they were funny

These aren't actually humorous. The humor would come from someone being told these and their groan at how bad the jokes are (making them the victim of the the bad attempt at humor)

What's tragic is that some people actually laugh at these jokes.

I laughed that the idea that these puns utterly btfo OP's edgy pseud argument.

Read any of the four posts above yours.

>OP's edgy pseud argument.

It's a fucking Mark Twain quote, you illiterate

Retards changing the definition of a joke in order to desperately cling to a simplistic worldview?

Define "joke"

Wow did you know that everything I write has been edited and approved by Jesus?

Puns aren't jokes.

Someone reacting to a pun can be a joke.

joke
jōk/
noun
noun: joke; plural noun: jokes

a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

And you think puns fit that?

This.

The Carlos meme isn't in the puns he makes, its in the "Carlos!" Punchline

And the pun would be told with the expectation of the reaction. Even if the joke is that the pun isn't funny, that still makes it a joke on a meta level.

Not only does the above apply, but unironically making an unfunny pun also applies because they said it to cause amusement or laughter even though they didn't get results.

Ah, so failed humor still counts as humor? An interesting definition, where the negative still counts as the positive.

What is the English word for "failed humor"? Is there one that doesn't just apply a negative to a word related to humor? Someone tells a joke to someone deliberately trying not to find anything he says funny, is the joke literally nonexistent because he didn't laugh? He just deleted it as a concept by not finding it funny?

Do you not understand what a venn diagram is? Is a broken car not a car?

Oooh, you're so smart dude!

that shit has been said for centuries by every scholar, so fuck off

A broken car was once a car.

A failed joke was never a joke.

Or, you believe that everything is either a joke or a failed joke.

>centuries

Mark Twain hasn't been dead for centuries

Pretty much, yeah.

I'd say you're correct about a specific type of humor, however not all humor fits under this umbrella. What about absurdist humor? Or ironic humor?

>What about absurdist humor?

Victim is society and its view of reality

>ironic humor

Victims are those not on the in-joke. You're not laughing at the in-joke you're laughing at the plebeians who don't understand.

What about puns?

Read the thread

>People are attempting to alter the premise by saying puns are not jokes, when the initial claim was humor as a universal and puns have and can be genuinely attempted by an interlocutor with the intent to make the receptor to experience humor (i.e. laugh and experience the psychological state associated with humor), and the receptor having a genuine psychological and physiological response to the pun matching with the criteria set for a person experiencing humor and reacting to such stimuli, due to what was uttered by the interlocutor (and not the process thereof, or the greater context outside of the pun) and attempts to scrutinize this moment of humor as done so far have been meta-responses rather than actual examination of the actual response in the thought experiment.

Has anyone ever had a genuine laugh at a pun where it wasn't targeting a victim?

First prove that puns are funny by providing a funny pun

Humor is the realization of sanity in the insane

Humor cannot be proven but it can be appreciated.

Puns victimize language, (by way of twisting words) inadvertently becoming the most vile humor, and modulating the dialogue itself into a nonsensical farce of good comedy.

And yes, this is ironic.
winkeyface

t. punk