What are some good war novels?

What are some good war novels?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/20413347-the-guns-of-august-the-proud-tower
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anything by Jeff Shaara.

Read this at the end of last year. Enjoyed it.

Starship Troopers by Heinlein.

Got this, on my list of books to read next

Heard it's redpilled af

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Following the career of a gutterborn grunt in the time of Napoleon.

catch-22 is a good war novel. Real funny, but not alot of people are to into it.

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Is Storm of Steel really that good? What's it about?

Anything by Sven Hassel

Or goofy AF. It's basically a father/son romcom where they blow up aliens and get promoted.

All quiet on the western front is THE war book imo

I'd like to read it but I have a babyface and feel like I would get looks from people wondering why I'm not in school. Shouldn't everyone have read it by the time they exit highschool anyways? Except I haven't....

Just finished The Red Badge Of Courage and really enjoyed it.

Who fucking cares? If it interests you just read it you autist

A Send-off to Legs

It is about the author's actual experiences, not that of some fictional character designed to explicitly prove a point. Storm of Steel is very sincere, and is a prerequisite for the rest of Junger's works.

Going After Cacciato is excellent. O'Brien is kind of high school-Core but it's a cut about Things They Carried (which is honestly also pretty good) IMO.

Johnny Got His Gun is p. good.

The Things They Carried was my first high school mindfuck, it's not patrician or anything but it's a good read

It's the first time I ever see his name in this board. Was he even for real or was it all made up?

A Ta-Ta to Tibias.

bit of both, but they're classic reads.

It's readpill in the sense that Starship Troopers isent a war novel like "All Quiet on the Western Front" and some others where clearly there is a message of "war is bad" but neither is "good".
To read Starship Troopers is to find that what is war and the role of the military person (because the Navy is full of women in the book) in society. Is more a novel of ideias rather than a novel about war; it's just uses war as a background for the reflections it presents.
But not only that, the book is also about the formation and feels of a recruit going slowly into a full soldier, at I remember that even military academys made this book a must read at a certain point.

Slaughter-hose five and Gravity's Rainbow

Tolstoyevsky's War and Punishment

An Aloha to Dicks

It's great. It's authentic and without intention except to describe what the author experienced. He's been accused of being militarist/jingoist because he doesn't go out of his way to condemn the war, but it's more just an honest acceptance of the duties he felt he had in the war.

blood meme

I've never understood the 'proto-fascism' accusations levelled at Junger. Granted I've only read SoS but it seems like some people think that unless you explicitly condemn war you must be glorifying it in some way.

Bonus question: Do any other works of his have decent English translations still in print? I remember looking a couple of years ago and couldn't find any.

The Flanders Road by Claude Simon
Fires on the Plain by Shohei Ooka

also
La Débâcle by Émile Zola

Dispatches
My War Gone By, I Miss it So

there have been a few since, yes.

war...what is it good for?

definitely catch 22 if you havent read it.
The sorrow of war by Bao Ninh is also worth a read. Might not be the GI Joe enough for you though.

VHUT IS THAT NOISE?

It has to do with the large anti-war sentiment that pervaded europe after WWI and especially WWII. The idea basically runs that given the recent horrors the continent experienced, not stating you were against war was a tacit support for it. This along with Junger's position within the Wehrmacht didn't do him any favors (his personal feelings on the Third Reich aside). But it more or less boils down to the age old assumption "if you're not explicitly with us you're against us"

Justice.

The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna

That's a beautiful cover.

Barbara W. Tuchman: The Guns of August & The Proud Tower
goodreads.com/book/show/20413347-the-guns-of-august-the-proud-tower

It's about jungers real experiences during the war. It's also about how you will never be as much of a man as he was

Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers: Vietnam from some normal soldiers perspective that don't want to be there and aren't super heroic.

The original Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko is a great document of special forces and it was published before he had to call his stuff "fiction".

The Dirty Dozen was surprisingly great. It's got a different feeling than the movie.

There's a series called Command and Control by James D. Mitchell, that are super fast reads about badass Vietnam commandos.

And if you like Star Wars and airforce battles, read the X-Wing series. It's just like reading about any other pilots books, but in space with lots of action.

generation kill

The History of the Third Reich Trilogy by Richard J. Evans

Finland has amazing war literature. Too bad none of them are translated and even so if they are the translation is dog shit.

Irving's Hitler's War + War Path (they have been released as a one book now) are great.

Adolf Hitler: My part in his downfall by Spike Milligan

What's his thesis?

>reading anything about modern wars

the things they carried, the liberators, caesar in gaul.

How the fuck has no one mentioned With the Old Breed yet? Probably the best war memoir after Junger's Storm of Steel.

A farewell to arms

Fly Away Peter by David Malouf is probably the best birdwatching book ever written in Australian and very likely the best war book written here as well. It's one of my favourite books.

Other war books i've read that were good are:
all quiet on the western front
a farewell to arms

there is no single book everyone in the entire world has read before the end of highschool. you shouldn't feel embarassed about not having read any particular book.

This is a good read

The Forever War is top notch military sci fi

For Whom the Bell Tolls

What'a the opinion of Kershaw's biography on Hitler?

I've been meaning to read one on him

Both Kershaw and Volker Ullrich's Hitler are top-tier

How's Kershaw's entry in the Penguin History of Europe series? How is the series as a whole? Will it ever have a book dealing with postwar europe?

Kershaw's Hitler is THE book on Hitler. Recommended.

t. history major

Are you Brazilian or Portuguese?

Read this.

Brazilian. Why so?

Not a novel but read Myths and Legends of the First World War so you can stop believing the memes about WW1.

>caesar in gaul.
Is this from a contemporary writer, or just the letters he wrote?

Bruh, how did you deduce that.

Sven Hassel is good but I don't get the "war" feeling that other books give.

A good recommendation is The things they carried, it's been mentioned above, also, Zinky Boys, personal, anonymous testimonials by soviet military and civilian personnel involved in the Afghan war.

To hell and back 1914-1949

Includes some after effects of the war but I haven't read it yet

I, too, am curious.

Patrician novel coming through

This. Catch 22 is absolutely hilarious, while also being brilliant.

>Brigadier General Smedley D. Butler
>Smedley
Is that a really a first name?

Once you read Marble Cliffs and Glass Bees you realize there is a reason that Junger was excused from denazification trials.

He wasnt a fascist and only a base pleb would accuse him of such.

Shut up bitch it was a good book

And the miniseries is better than Band of Brothers

Storm Of Steel and All Quiet One The Western Front.

Probably because of
>ideias

You either never read the book or didn't get it at all

my Veeky Forums posts desu

Fear by Gabriel Chevalier

It's an NYRB about a Frenchman during WWI. Really gripping stuff, even if the ending is kinda disappointing