Why does Veeky Forums like the maximalists so much?

Why does Veeky Forums like the maximalists so much?

is good

it's literally that bigbrained meme

cuz Against the Day is fuggin lit bro

But I like dfw despite his maximalism

As long as Veeky Forums likes Pynchon and DFW, but also appreciates authors like Carver and Borges, Veeky Forums's ok.

Which is most accessible out of AtD, V, GR or M&D?
I've read all the other things pynchon wrote but I'm pussing out now with all the big works.

Because some of those authors are genius, and I want to read the works they put the most effort into. A lot of those long novels are fucking masterpieces, and I like being able to spend a few weeks in those stories. There's more to dig out of it. Even Lot 49 can be analyzed and examined for decades, imagine how dense the works he spend years writing and perfecting are. Also, I'm not scared of big books, I prefer them, for the above reasons.

most people here read to seem intelligent and big book = big brain

most people here read to seem intelligent and big book = big brain

This is retarded. This way of thinking is sad to me. Some people, maybe, but they are legitimately great and why wouldn't you want to read 1000 pages from someone that talented? It seems really insecure to hold that view of literature, friend.

p much this

so much shit happens in them you can think about it for years

where do i start with pynchon?

V

V is probably the most accessible
M&D is also accessible (while also being arguably his most complicated work) but only if you've read The Sot Weed Factor
Against the Day and Gravity's Rainbow are both infinitely fantastic but presume extensive knowledge of the turn of the century and the second world war

R e d d i t

Larger books take longer to read and so I get a smoother memory of it. In the same time I could read 10 novellas and confuse them.

How is TCoL49 not his most accessible?

inherent vice is more accessible than lot 49

maximalism??!! that sounds too close to those BLOODY POST MODERNISTS

I don't. I like Pynchon for his knowledge, his humor, his paranoia, his cartooniness and his far-offness. I don't even think he's proprelly maximalist, just dense.

Plus,

>the maximalists
Stop

I prefer minimali

Does Veeky Forums like Gaddis too?

More importantly, Inherent Vice is good.

>presume extensive knowledge of the turn of the century and the second world war

no they don't

I think Gravity's Rainbow has very little to do with the facts of the war.
It has a lot to do with more esoteric concepts around or inspired by the war, but these require little to no prior knowledge, because the idea is important and not some fact that inspired the idea.

hey Veeky Forums... i just finished a book (If On A Winters Night...) and recently finished V. and loved it

i've got a couple other of Pynchon books.. Vineland, Mason & Dixon.. Gravity's Rainbow in digital format.. what should I read?

also recently bought Infinite Jest.. i could go for that one.. I've already read The Pale King. I've read every word in The Pale King...

Finish Underworld? read Virginia Woolf? Dead Souls?
suggestions?

>Inherent Vice is good.

>Inherent Vice is not good

guess I'll start Gravity's Rainbow then. thanks for the (you).

I had a friend who used to name drop Veeky Forums stuff like Dostoevsky and Gravity's Rainbow.. but after reading The Brothers Karamazov, I don't think he really read these books. he was easily one of my smartest friends and this was when we were in High School but i remember him getting into Tao Lin and then everything after that, every thing he ever said sounded like it was written by Tao Lin.

was my friend... a fake?

it's a different experience.
longer books = more work = more of an escape from every day life

at least in my experience

Both of you are completely fucking retarded
its historical metafiction
jesus christ this board has gone down the shitter

>its historical metafiction

it's more based in reality than you can even dare to imagine, user...

woah..
upvoted

Literally everyone has read Dostoyevsky and The Brothers Karamazov in secondary school, what are you talking about?

this is in dire need of being remade without the penguin deluxe one being front and center slammed. It's a fixed, singular error.

It is

JR is god-tier

oh... not me. I had some remedial and basic level classes (in our state in the US, only advanced classes read actual entire works of literature).. spent much of the time sleeping and then being held back a grade.. only to be pushed ahead to the proper grade mid-year.

lets just say i suffered from depression and other afflictions much of my youth but was smart enough to get by with my waking presence, enough to find friends (a crowd) who were in the top of their class

so coming from lower economic upbringing yet clinging to core ideals, I found my friend to be a PHONEY since he was constantly changing his mind about everything in accordance with the flavor of the moment. fooled me though, he made it out an accomplished artist so to speak... fuckin phoney... dropped out of college and moved to NY to make music and travels the world now.

"the maximalists"
what kind of person are you? these are modern authors.. we sort of don't use phrases in reference to modern day fiction authors that would otherwise assume they belong to some literary movement of the 1600's.

we have genre-fiction and literary fiction. some books are shorter in length. I like reading long books for the same reason I enjoyed playing Final Fantasy VII, sorta

>start reading The Recognitions
>really long book
>hey this is neat, i like this
feels Veeky Forums m8

Can someone confirm that the pens error is fixed?

I have the corrected and uncorrected penguin deluxe, and a '73 first edition. Tell me what you want to see.

It is a reflection of modern consciousness in that it overstimulates, overburdens, and lacks apparent coherence, the same characteristics being experienced by the modern man day in and day out. In terms of literature, maximalism is a womb in which we derive the psychic comfort of wholeness and order. In other words, there is order in the disorder.

agree

that original post was pretty docile. It's certainly true that a lot of people here are vain enough to trudge through long, maximalist fiction just to get a badge of honor and a bragging point. He said nothing about how he sees the book other than it is a "big book", which you can't refute.

I haven't read ATD or M&D yet, but I found GR to be WAY more accessible than V.

I think the easiest route into Pynchon is IV, Lot 49,R

I have the penguin edition and the error was fixed

Can you take a photo of both deluxe editions page 139 to page 140 for the only confirmed "pens" error?

Mostly redundant info but someone else can crop it down if need be. Top is 22nd printing, bottom is 23rd printing (if I'm reading the copyright page correctly).

cool! I'll update the chart accordingly

Mine is the 23rd and that page is just like your 23rd, so I think you're reading it right.

the metafictional aspects are minimal
it's absurdist satire

Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.

twin peaks, is that you?

Was your friend Tao himself?

We suck his d hard. How is Gaddis not in the meme trilogy btw? Cucked again poor guy.

Even the movie does not suck.

>tfw have 3 pinecone 'where waldo at' books