I want to get into books and music that don't come recommended by 4can. what's my exit strategy?

I want to get into books and music that don't come recommended by 4can. what's my exit strategy?

Rateyourmusic and discogs are good for music. I only know goodreads for books which is kind of memey but still good

I get all my music from rateyourmusic at this point, i count it as part of fortune

Read everything except what is recommend here.

S

Develop your open taste, go to bookstores and buy books that interest you from sampling the text.

>music
Get into classical, jazz and various folk traditions from all over the world. Like, not as cultural tourism, I mean you don't just listen to Beethoven's 9th and some Stockhausen and think you got into classical or a Miles Davis album and think that you're into jazz. Study that shit seriously.

Veeky Forums is better for books than /mu/ is for music. But, actually getting into the history of lit will provide you with a massive number of important and good writers that are never mentioned here.

Veeky Forums is your best bet for books, nothing else on the internet comes close. Goodreads is for normalfags.

I'll echo the others in suggesting rateyourmusic, much better than /mu/, which is a shithole.

scaruffi.com is unironically not bad
If you want music /mu/ does not talk about often, I would explore Eastern music as a whole. Hindustani, Chinese, and Japanese classical music is underrated, and for modern stuff I think spectralism, onkyo-kei and EAI are underrated genres. In fact, look at this chart and investigate any genre in the top 4 tiers you don't recognise.

For literature, Veeky Forums is not too bad. You could try /r/literature (I suspect this is only Veeky Forums crossposters), but goodreads is probably your best bet. The majority of the site is pretty pleb but you can follow non-pleb users and copy them until you find your own taste. You can do the same strategy with RYM, I'd drone users like Xenakis, polyphony and AntiWarhol until you get your own damn taste.

Books mentioned by authors in their works or interviews.

>Delta Blues that low
>Improvisation that high
Hipster faggot. This is fucking terrible.

>Books mentioned by authors in their works or interviews.
This.

Read a memoir or biography of a writer you like and you will find several recommendations.

there are plenty of podcasts about books and music. there plenty of books about books and music. there are a few musics about books.

>(I suspect this is only Veeky Forums crossposters
Unfortunately there are a lot of English undergrads and New Yorker subscribers. Better than r/books but still fairly middlebrow and shit

Well, I just read Brideshead Revisited and it was really shit, so I don't recommend that.

Don't listen to this guy. All that "music" is pure garbage. Listen to classical music instead.

Why's Brideshead bad? I happened to pick up the BBC miniseries for my mom and we're watching it. It's pretty gay but I don't mind, plus it's posh.

It's a very cold book, and the narrator oscillates between being completely blank and being a "cool" disaffected artist. The decent prose is the only redeeming factor.

scaruffi.com is unironically shit, OP read Alex Ross instead

read blogs by readers whose taste you like. the added bonus is that their comments sections will also be spaces of good conversation rather than shitposting.

not really, even scaruffi have a more itneresting list of books than Veeky Forums and he probably didn't read half of them

Bloom can be a great guide but you will miss on oriental literature

I guess after you build a decent foundation reading the big ones you can try to give prized books/authors a shot (Nobel, Pulitzer, etc)

Isn't this a sort of paradox? If any of us recommend you a recommendation platform, that whole swath of books becomes "recommended by Veeky Forums." Which means your only exit strategy would be to choose something on your own. But now that someone on Veeky Forums has recommended that, there is no exit strategy, since even exercising your own judgement will be a part of the thing you're trying to escape. Veeky Forums eclipses all.

what is that image about?

favorite delta blues musicians?

That chart is a confirmed meme.

Honestly some of the worst advice I've ever heard. Has to be b8.

Memes aside, the Veeky Forums canon is actually a very good place to start if you want to have a general literary framework to build upon.

Recommendations from plebbit will be trash and goodreads is equally as bad.

Pick a writer/artist you like. Get into them, listen/read what they have. Then look for similar artists/authors in the same genre. Read/listen there. Then look at influences in that genre etc etc and read/listen.

Really, just listen to/read what you like and use your sniffing nose from there on.