Ice Wine

I got some of this for christmas and it really surprised me because wine isn't supposed to be good. You're supposed to sit there wearing a monocle talking about how it is so citrusy and delicious as you choke down the bitter red piss. This is fucking delicious, I could actually unironically drink it on my own for the taste. Why is all wine not delicious?

Other urls found in this thread:

winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/44430
cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/a/15EF999FBAC63C5FB6DCF1C2F4BB6655
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is it not more sweet that regular Wine?

Yes it's much sweeter and nicer than normal wine

$$$ also more, and I live close to Ice wine country.

Yeah it's way more expensive than £5 lidl wine so you can't be an alcoholic with it but damn is it nice

But wine tastes good, you just need to get the nicer one. And I don't mean the costly one, just do some research and try different ones.
I'm from Italy though, here you can get some really nice bottle for 12/13€

What do you mean with "a really nice bottle"? I've had really nice wine in Italy for a fraction of that price.

Same in austria, between 10 and 20 € a bottle here. Not for gettig shitfaced but really not that bad.

>why doesn't literally everything conform to my specific tastes?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah you like it because it's sweet and you have the tongue of a 12 year old.

Yeah, i'm sorry, I meant a good wine. You can find it cheaper then where I live, we don't produce that much wine in my region

because your obviously 9 or have the tastebuds of a 9 yo
do you smoke? do you drink 3L bottles of mountain dew and have pop tarts for breakfast? if so then wine is not for you

>You're supposed to sit there wearing a monocle talking about how it is so citrusy and delicious as you choke down the bitter red piss.
Sounds like you just don't know anything about wine. But at least you're learning.
Central Europe is eiswein country. The Canadians are new to the game.
Yeah I don't think Italy produces any ice wine. The closest conceptually might be amarone which certainly isn't going for 13 euros a bottle, and in any case is a rather different wine.
>nothin personal, kid

TIL, thank you.
Just how in the fuck did you know I was a LEAF?
eiswein / icewine....spelling? Derrick I will find U
Recommendations?

>He forces himself to drink piss to pretend he is a sophisticated adult

Ice wine is usually much more expensive than regular wine because of the process involved in making it.

I know, that's why it is so good

It can take a couple of really good wines, preferable with food that suits the wine well, before you start appreciating it.

The first wine I really liked was a champagne, not sure which kind sadly but it wouldn't taste the same without the food.

I don't like champagne, it's just not really good or bad it's just mildly unappealing in taste

That's weird, but each to their own. I've had both good and bad ones.

Is this all one of those things where you just have to choke down the piss for ages and then eventually you begin to appreciate the flavour out of desperation

Not really, no.

If you've only had boiled unseasoned cabbage on it's own you'll think anyone who likes cabbage just pretends they do because it's obviously disgusting. But then you eat some coleslaw and find it delicious. You start appreciating cabbage more and then maybe you'll like it in a pie. And one day you might actually like and be used to cabbage to a degree where you don't mind or even like eating the boiled unseasoned cabbage you couldn't understand before.

The OP just found his coleslaw. Wine may not be for everyone and that is fine, just the same as cabbage may not be for everyone.

I like boiled cabbage a lot and don't care for coleslaw. Does that mean I'm ass-backwards or enlightened? (the secret is ham and black pepper)

>closest thing is amarone
Lel no. Amarone is a dry wine. Italy does however make recioto della valpolicella, passito, and vin santo, all of which are dessert wines that fill the same niche as ice wine, though they're made in a different way. With ice wine/eiswein, the grapes are allowed to freeze on the vine and then pressed while frozen, where only the most concentrated, sugary parts remain liquid and can be extracted. With the italian varieties, the grapes are partly dried before vinification, similarly to french vin de paille. There's also botrytized dessert wine like sauternes and tokaji aszu, where a beneficial fungus infects the grapes and dries them out, changing and concentrating the flavor, and fortified dessert wines like port, banyuls, pedro ximenez sherry, malmsey madeira etc

Fag

No, it just means you have found what you like about cabbage.

>sherry
>dessert wine
WIll Americlaps please stop posting about wine? Thanks.

Not only expensive but I’m pretty sure most of the global “ice wine” supply is Chinese fakes that’r very likely to make you go blind.

Is this like where you stupid americans say that all olive oil is actually fake and that olive oil doesn't exist

winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/44430

Not sure who to side with. Canadian wine is a cash grab, yes. But on the other hand, wine spectator? Who the hell even reads that crap besides obese boomers who run around wearing Callaway brand golf gear?

So it reads like counterfeit ice wine was made to rip off other Chinese people.

When anything becomes high-status high-priced in Asia you can bet fakes will flood the market. What's more disturbing imo is the growing problem of fake "Canadian" maple syrup, since I'm actually willing to splurge on real maple syrup.

Looks legit to me.

I don't live in china you fuckwit

lmao, god I always get a laugh at how absolutely uncultured americans are. If its not 90 % high fructose corn syrup swill sold from your favorite evil corporation its no good, eh?

for plebs like you I recommend getting some 4 loco and pouring it in a wine glass, so you can sit with the grownups without feeling embarassed

and if you're feeling extra big boy you can spring for a bottle of that absolutely atrocious Yellowtail wine

>only aussies can ruin wine
we can do it just fine all by ourselves, thank you very much

So am I supposed to dump my collection of bait pics here?

>I'm a grownup I choke down my £500 piss and say that it tastes delicious in order to impress everyone with my piss knowledge

I'm sorry you had to spend christmas in a trailer park user

>7 deadly zins

Fuck me, that shit is horrible. My wife and I got into zinfandel after making a trip up to the Sierra foothills and having some wine there (and later making a trip to Lodi to see the old vines). At home we tried our hand at some cheaper stuff that we could find in Midwest grocery stores and this shit was vile. Some of the bigger domestic stuff isn't too bad, but this was not even up to our relatively low standards.

is there any good lodi wine? because I've never tasted it

Mavrodaphne is the only good dessert wine.

This user. He speaks the truth.

>do you smoke?
A cabernet and nas black is a match made in heaven, pleb

>Once aged, the wine is bottled and sold as a dessert wine under the Mavrodaphni Protected designation of origin.
But protectionism REEEEEEEE barefoot moscato is exactly the same!!~!~!

I don't want to drink anything with feet in its name

I like Lodi zinfandels. They're 'spicy' and interesting to me and they have a lot of big gnarly vines that came from the old world that produce a more concentrated flavour unique to the area, but if you're not into them then that's fine too.

Stick to Franzia you mutt

>piss is good

>pedro ximenez sherry
>not dessert wine
Not all sherry (or madeira for that matter) is sweet but px sure as fuck is.

I didn't realise sherry is just wine with piss added, I thought it was a drink on its own for some reason

>It's sweet so it tastes better than that nasty bitter normal wine
Holy fuck what a literal child

This may be shocking to you but adults are able to enjoy flavors other than 'sweet'
Not everything has to be candy, fatass

>LOL PISS XD
You seem incredibly insecure.

>Look mom I'm traaaawlling the Internet

Rocky Mountain Ice Wine is where its at. Shit is to die for

no u

>whine is not supposed to be delicious
>this wine is very sweet, which is why its good
t. amerifat whose palette consists of sugar, fat, and salt. You have the taste of a literal child.

Learn some fucking taste, and you'll learn how to enjoy some wine.

THIS SO MUCH

inb4 muh sauternes, wine should be a snoot full of TCA taint, volatile acidity, and green stemmy lawn clippings, if you're not grimacing with pain with every sip you're a fucking pussy

STEM major here, all wine is exactly the same, so-called "experts" can't even tell the difference between red and white wine. Bunch of fucking liberal arts sociology major faggots if you ask me.

So again, it all comes down to
>choke down the piss for long enough and out of desperation you will like it
I have to say I am disappointed.

>fucking wine is vile shit and tastes the same
>muh beers
You are exactly the same as picky eaters complaining about all fish tasting rotten and how there is literally no difference between calamari and shrimp.

You don't have to like it and you don't have to understand it, but you are being autistic saying nobody else can.

GUESS WHO HEARD THAT NPR PIECE A FEW DAYS AGO AND DECIDED TO GET SOME

Fucking meme humping consumerist trash
>$50+ for what is likely just freezer wine

They did double-blind testing on this. even professional wine tasters can't tell the difference between red and white when they don't already know what they're drinking. Shit's all the same

It all tastes the same, the difference is entirely from you looking at the price tag and going damn I paid $100 for this so it's amazing

So you're saying a sweet and a dry wine taste the same? An acidic and a non acidic wine taste the same? The aging process does nothing to a wine?

Is it the same for beers? Does two stouts taste the same? What about budweiser and whatever piss lager you prefer to drink? Blue cheese taste the same because it's all the same mold? Is there a difference between cuts of steak other than fat content?

I'm not saying there's a world of difference between each and every wine, but there can be a lot of differences in the production for different wines.

If they all taste like piss, does it really matter if the taste is slightly different and barely noticable?

Why are you complaining about how it all taste the same if you admit that it doesn't?

And just because you're a picky drinker doesn't mean we adults don't enjoy things other than soda and lemonade (if you can even drink that you tastelet).

>ctrl+f "piss"
>21 results

sounds like OP is having a Freudian slip. Can you imagine hating a drink that's as old as time with as much passion as this?

Flyovers think that anything that isn't brown will make them gay, it's some weird repressed sexuality thing

Jajajaja. Dis nigga drinkin grape juice. Hahajajajahajaja. Dis nigga.

Thats bullshit. I can tell the difference between white and red and im as pleb as it gets.
White is more acidy and gamey. Red is more bitter and richer. Sweetness varies on both

I think I found a market for all my piss jugs.

>you can't be an alcoholic with it
Speak for yourself, poorfag.

>tfw you're a rich diabetic and can't drink yourself to death on sweet stuff fml

BTW, even the plain old "White Star" champagne that Costco sells for about $30/bottle is great for guzzling.

The only thing that could make that more legit is if they put the directions for using chopsticks on the label.

>tfw it turns out OP is a canuckistani

>implying even the rich bother with expensive alcohol if it is only to drown out the bitterness of being a superior specimen in a world filled with low class citizens
For me, it's $4 brandy.

Not that user but here;

cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/a/15EF999FBAC63C5FB6DCF1C2F4BB6655

>Wine judge performance at a major wine competition has been analyzed from 2005 to 2008 using replicate samples. Each panel of four expert judges received a flight of 30 wines imbedded with triplicate samples poured from the same bottle. Between 65 and 70 judges were tested each year. About 10 percent of the judges were able to replicate their score within a single medal group. Another 10 percent, on occasion, scored the same wine Bronze to Gold. Judges tend to be more consistent in what they don't like than what they do. An analysis of variance covering every panel over the study period indicates only about half of the panels presented awards based solely on wine quality.

>flight of 30 wines
>triplicate samples

well no shit things were weird. Your palate gets shot after a flight of 5-6 wines. I did some wine tasting in California and did several flights in one day and after the second group I felt like things were getting blurred to the point of the inexpensive stuff tasting like the flagship bottles. This is especially true if you're not having any of it with food, it just gets monotonous.

Wine judging should be taken with a grain of salt, just like any sort of food tasting, the point is that they have a lot of experience and knowledge, so their opinion can be held with a little more weight than the average joe. Wine is only worth what you want to get out of it, and some people are willing to pay more for unique stuff. Wine nowadays is much better than it was 20-30 years ago, people are more conscientious and educated about what they buy in general, and winemakers around the world have stepped their game up.

If you ever come across anything from Matchstick winery pick it up.

>Wine is only worth what you want to get out of it
Pretending to be '''''cultured''''' and virtue signaling your contempt for American heritage isn't worth any amount of money to me. Unlike you nu-male calicucks, those of us who live in the heartland still have our pride.

>American heritage
I didn't know you had any heritage, outside of slavery and drunk irishmen.

I'm not from California, I'm from Kentucky. I've lived in a lot of different states over the years, too. I don't think what I said was unreasonable or displayed any contempt for 'American Heritage'... not sure why or how you got that from what I was saying. All I'm trying to get at is that you can pay whatever you want for wine, and that sometimes wine is expensive because it offers a unique or unusual taste, not that it's 'better.' My favorite bottle is not the most expensive wine out there, and it comes from Napa, which a lot of people would consider mundane. I'm gonna try to get into European wines this year since now I live in New York and finding the California wines I grew to like for a decent price is kind of a bust.

>can only drink super sweet wine
This is why I can't respect the Chinese who buy this shit up like sheeple

>Yeah I don't think Italy produces any ice wine. The closest conceptually might be amarone
Those are completely fucking different. If we're talking sweet wines the equivalent would be maybe a really nice Moscato D'asti or if we're going fortifieds Marsala.

You might actually have brain problems, or failed organic chemistry, if you actually believe that.

>they don't do X
>oh yeah? ur wrong, they don't do X

Italy actually does ice wine though but it isn't a huge market like it is in Central Europe and Northern France.
Also I was mostly talking about your stupid comparison of Amarone, a full bodied dry red, to a sweet liqueur like ice wine.

The process involves removing the water from the grape juice one way or another, which puts them in a category of their own. Certainly more like one another than either of them is like sherry, as another retard was suggesting

There are plenty of dry, sweet, red, and white wines made without going out of your way to reduce the water content.