Correlation between High IQ and ability to create good literature

Hello /lit./ I came here for reasonable, well measured and rational discourse on a question I, and my peers have been debating recently but have been able to come to an agreement on. Is literary skill related to IQ? Given the recent rise in emphasis on IQ by memerson and others, one would think it does. However, the point could also be made that the ability to write good prose, develop interesting and complex story lines and reach conclusions could be due to "wisdom" and creativity, two traits not explicitly related to IQ. Obviously a

Just from reading the first sentence I can already tell you believe IQ has a direct impact on one's ability to write literature.

sage goes in all fields

IQ measures one thing only: ease of pattern recognition. This translates into ease of learning.

So sure, if you have a high IQ and properly learn your grammar and rules of prose, you'll most likely have better literature (if we measure the literature's merit by said grammar and rules of prose) than others with a lower IQ, faster.

That can be said about anything though.

It has more to do with creativity than IQ strictly speaking, though some measurements like spatial IQ can help determine creativity. IQ is pretty rote, and high IQ groups like E. Asians and Jews are not known for their creative abilities or literary talents. Clannish and individualism play a big role in product these outcomes.

Like all other anons said, I don't think the ability to write is that closely related to IQ. All you need is average intelligence really. Being a good writer is a combination of talent and hard work, just like everything else.

I don't, at all, and I'm getting quite sick of the current emphasis being placed on it for creatives, let an authors' work stand on it's own bloody merit.

I understand, I'd be saging too if I were viewing this thread.

writing comes fundamentally from having something to say

like right now it's extremely easy for me to write this stupid post, because this thought that I'm sharing is one that I've had in my brain for a long time, just waiting to be articulated. being able to write this down is enjoyable and satisfying and I make discoveries along the way of trying to express what it is I wanted to say. writing comes from inside.

trying to spot the pattern in a bunch of blocks is nothing like that experience. it is not about saying anything but figuring out what the other person is "saying".

Very well said, I never thought of writing like that for some reason.

>superior traits
fucking lol like magical powers or some shit?
>durr my brain is dumb but my arms can write good literature

"Superior" is clearly the wrong word, I meant traits that would better transfer to the creation of good literature, which I believe not to be related to IQ.

Where is it supposed to exist user? In your soul or materially in some other organ or limb.

I'm being outflanked here but the soul?

And the way you know the soul has good creative abilities is by something the brain/body did?
And if the brain/body is not powerful in some regard then what you'd see would be a limited form of what their soul might produce?
So the brain/body would be the limiting factor.
In which case IQ would matter.

The brain does other things as well. Functions like memory recall, sensory interpretation, and social functions could all be more important than IQ.

So people have a soul and multiple supernatural brain departments. All more important the actual brain itself when it comes to the act of writing literature.
hmm

thanks for this.

There's a fucking correlation between High IQ and ability to create ANYTHING good.

IQ is simply a proxy to a very complicated thing. Jordan Memerson takes it seriously cause he is a psychologist who wishes to maintain the status quo, how boring.

I've had this discussion before where we talk about building an AI to tell great stories. The problem always comes down to "interesting" stories rather than complex ones. There is definitely something strange about what it would take for an AI to create novelty in anything, or even to create innovations in literary form. It's boggled my head for years wondering if newness or ingenuity is recognised as or is inherently good in of itself. The fact that folk stories came about as they did should tell us that intelligence doesn't matter, that good literature takes from many sources of bad lit to make new forms. So maybe having lots of idiots telling stories is the best hope for some savant AI, person-computer to write his most highly praised and original work of art for the masses.