But the power of the Ring could not be undone

But the power of the Ring could not be undone

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Gyges
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>omg it's le amazing powerful ring that let's people take over the world!
>all it does is make you invisible

Tolkien is a hack

>Tolkien
>hack

you're gonna have to try a bit harder than that

Have you read the book?

It also serves as a magic amplifier for wizards and elves

Tolkien did some masterful world building man. Let's not forget Gandalf and Galadriel tricked Sauron and kept their Elven rings.

It's like in the great stories, user—the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back the way it was when so much bad had happened?

But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you—that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Opie, I do understand. I know now.

every time i watch the trilogy, i pop a speed and watch the extended versions back-to-back-to-back. usually, i do this at night, so i'm sleep deprived and emotionally vulnerable.

did this last night; from the time the elves showed up to helm's deep to the end of the second movie, i could not stop weeping for the life of me.

That's the thing about being a ringbearer. At the end of the story, everyone was fine- except Frodo. His journey had clearly taken it's toll. For long years he pushed onwards, resilient to the relic of power that hung round his neck, but not immune. He trekked half the world with what must have been the equivalent of heavy chains affixed to his soul. It crept into his soul, and by the end of it, he didn't care who he hurt: he would not give up the ring. But the story happened, and he was released of his burden... But not all of it. No, while his friends could return to the shire and lead out their lives, something had died in Frodo. He would never undo the damage that his task had wrought on him. The allusions and metaphors here are quite clear and compelling, without a doubt he is the most interesting character in the series.

Was why Frodo was so resilient to the Rings power ever explained? Sam also bore the ring for some time, but he had a much, much harder time giving it back. Several times throughout the story Frodo even tries to give it away; he knows it is destroying his goodness, and he wants nothing to do with it. How did he resist for so long?

Hobbits were supposedly more resilient because they were people who had very little power within themselves. They weren't great warriors or wizards or any of that horse dick.

That's the implied reason, but I don't think tolkien ever flat out said exactly why.

Well also the ring is only shown being worn by hobbits in the books. And hobbits only real skill is some stealth, so maybe the ring just works off that.

Saruman made a Ring,too. He was wearing it when he imprisoned Gandalf,and I imagine he still had it when Wormtongue killed him,fallen among his disintegrating ashes. And since he was an Ishtari,wouldn't some aspect of him linger within it? Could it give the Voice of Command like Boromir hoped to get from Sauron's ring?

What if I told you these were both pretty good explanations?

I just wish Tolkien had made it explicit. Frodo had actually proven himself to be one hard fucker when it came down to the wire, but he still gave off an aura of being.. well, a hobbit. Not suited to war, not wanting the task, but God damn, he did it well enough. I can't reconcile that dichotomy.

>he doesn't understand the significance of the One Ring
>he didn't start with the Greeks and read Plato
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Gyges

here you go brainlet

How can you sit there for around 11 hours watching movies? It's impressive, I can't stand to sit still for even a 2 hour movie. I haven't been able to sit through a movie for almost 10 years.

>the time the elves showed up to helm's deep to the end of the second movie
Never happened in the books. Literally something Jackson made up, and it brought you to tears? Pleb.

>How can you sit there for around 11 hours watching movies?

I think he said he does speed before hand. That helps.

I knew a guy who would smoke meth and watch The Dark Crystal for like 4 or 5 days straight.

Ok post, but stop injecting politics into my crypto-political Veeky Forums discussion.

>I haven't been able to sit through a movie for almost 10 years.

Lamar really works that hiney huh?

Yeah, I thought that's one of the worst parts of the movies. In fact, pretty much everything that deviated from the scrip of the book was shit in those films. That's why the hobbit movies were so bad, it was like 90% deviation.

Who then is the king returned?

>hobbits were bad in the movies
>90% deviation

I'm I like the books better and as much as the next fan but seriously? This is just inaccurate.

It's more about Frodo and the ring. He wears it like a modern lanyard, ya know?

He meant The Hobbit movie "trilogy" was bad, and was 90% deviation.
Which should be agreed upon. Was so made up and stupid.

I don't think that deviating from the script is a bad thing in itself....but fucking pete was terrible when he did it.

Oh yeah, new trilogy sucks. Its too bad because I like Freeman as an actor, so it's hard to see the book butchered like that. But Jackson made his legacy cemented with the first trilogy, those films were fantastic.

The halflings dont want anything though. So what can the Ring tempt them with?

Gollum did pretty well having the Ring for 500 years, when it drives most people to utter madness just looking at it. And what did Gollum end up doing? Sitting in a cave staring at it.

watch satantango, next step: greed and birth of nation (easy mode: woman on the moon)

>yfw the one ring ends up as a mathom in the shire, being passed around as a birthday gift no one really wants

for real.
bilbos only use for it was to prank his party guests

Holy shit you're right. Damn.

Let's be real though he had no idea what he had and he used it to save his own ads countless times in his youth. For all he knew it was an invisible funsies ring, Gandalf never told him shit.

Avoiding awkward conversations with the Sackville-Bagginses is a worthy and noble pursuit.

Damn that is a top-notch post.

There you go. The true treasure of Bag End

>tfw the collaborative linguist book between Lewis and Tolkien will never be