Silpat

Silpat.

Do I need one?

Do you have one? What do you use it for?

Do you do a lot of pastry?

What the fuck? Use parchment paper.

My mom has one she uses mostly for cookies.

do these work for bread dough?
bread keeps sticking to my normal chopping board, especially no knead bread which seems extra sticky

They are incredibly useful. Amazon Basic's is just as good, and a third of the price.

I've been wondering about these things myself

Arent they hell to clean?
What else are they good for besides pastries?
Can I roast meats / veggies on them?
How long do they last?

I use mine for bread all the time; literally never ever sticks, especially with a bench scraper

It works for just about everything except for cutting it or getting it above 500 degrees. I fucking love mine. I'd tell you to add flour to the board or something but that doesn't work with some breads.

Fuck your trips, parchment is for other uses.

I bought a two pack on sale and used them maybe three times.

They can't take high temperatures, they don't have raised edges to trap oils or liquids, fat sticks to them and is difficult to clean off, and they start to smell.

Not worth. Use parchment paper.

I have one, I use it for making BHO on. I made an extractor with a metal turkey baster and some Home Depot parts, then I kind of scrunch up the silicone mat into a bowl shape by smooshing it into a wire strainer, put the extractor in the bowl, shoot the butane into it, then float the bowl over hot water to evaporate out the butane. from there I flatten out the mat and scrape the hash with a credit card and transfer it into my little silicone storage container. I do this with vaped weed I store up, it comes out real brown and a little gross tasting but it hits as hard as any other hash oil. A little BHO sticks to the mat though so 7/10 I guess

Depends
I fukken love these at work for anything pastry based and at home for extracts like
But unless you're working with a lot of pastry or difficult to manipulate oils or syrups or w/ever then just use baking paper with spray oil or flour or shi

Yeah, I don't do pastry at all. I just get tired of cleaning my roasting tray after veggies/meats. Sounds like silpat isn't really for me.

I have a couple and I almost never use them. I use parchment paper for almost everything because I don't want to wash them. The absolute worst thing about them is they absorb flavors and it's very difficult to get them out. If you have ever used a silicone spatula to make a strongly flavored sauce and realized you don't want to use it to fold a cake batter because it still smells like that sauce even after it's been through the dishwasher, it's the same thing. I tried roasting vegetables on mine and it took about 10 washes to get the smell out.

If you just use them for pastry or bread it should never be a problem. They work better than parchment for a few things. I just don't use mine anymore. If you are using parchment paper that comes on a roll from the supermarket they might be the best purchase you ever make, because that stuff is a nightmare.

Parchment paper is single use, you can reuse this endlessly. Right now the only disposable item in my house is toilet paper.

If you don't know what you'd use it for then you don't need it.

this you have to clean, parchment paper you just throw into the trash

If you got a fancy bidet, you eliminate that also

Do yuros really just spray water on their asses, pull their pants up, and call it at day?

I like you, user.

I'm a burger and use bidets, they are fucking awesome you are missing out.

bidet are S tier and way more hygenic than just wiping it with a dry rag

the fancy ones have driers.

bidet is 100x better than just smearing shit all over your ass with paper, then walking away.
Get a cheap bidet attachment on amazon, it will change your life. you'll only need a small amount of TP to dry, and be much cleaner afterwards.

I wipe my ass with an owl.

time to get a bidet and bath rags

no paper towels?!

>Silpat

Are those the fancy mats that Chef John uses?

Yeah.

I use aluminum foil so I don't have to clean the baking dish. Then a layer on non-stick foil on top.

I remember thinking this was a good idea until I tried to clean it or cook over 500 degrees and got mild fume sickness

Why would you try to cook over 500 degrees on a silpat? It's literally the opposite of what you'd want to use for foods that need to be cooked at a high temp. (E.g. you're not going to get a halfway decent crust on your pizza if you put it on a fucking silpat.)

I admit to having a couple rolls stashed just in case, but I've replaced them for regular usage with a big stack of regular towels I just wash later.

No, get a generic version. They're all the same.

You aren't supposed to roast your fucking vegetables in a Silpat, morons.

Silpat is great for bread, cookies, roasting vegetables, bread chicken, etc. I use it for everything. It's fabulous for nachos because the cheese slides right off. (There is a "silpat with sides" that is great for juicy chicken. fish, caramels, etc) You don't have to grease, flour, oil or use sprays with silpat and nothing sticks so it makes it easy to clean. Someone mentioned the smell- nothing leeches in or out- it's inert. The smell may stay on top of the mat, but the next thing you make won't taste like the last thing you made. Silpat is a name brand and has every food certification available- I can't speak for the off brands. Some are made in China. I've been a rep for the company that makes Silpats for 4.5 years. There is a different mat specifically for breads, pastries, anything you want more crisp including day old pizza and fries (silpain) Message me if you want to learn more or have questions.

>message me

>Someone mentioned the smell- nothing leeches in or out- it's inert. The smell may stay on top of the mat, but the next thing you make won't taste like the last thing you made
Silicone absolutely does absorb strong odors and flavors. Silpats included. Do a quick google search and there are lots of people desperate to get strong smells/flavors off of theirs. I've washed mine several times in a row trying to get oven dried tomato flavor off of mine. I still tasted it in my oatmeal cookies. You should kill yourself shill

What would you like to know?

You don't fucking 'message' someone else on Veeky Forums, retard.

But you just messaged xhim/xer

I POSTED A FUCKING REPLY, DUMBASS

Trash bags?

I just carry the trash can out to the big one outside and shake it all out into it. Then hose it out if necessary. No need for a bag.

please stay out of my mentions asshole

I use mine for cookies.

I have one older, cheap cookie sheet that burns the bottoms of everything and has gouges from previous foods being scraped off. The silpat makes these flaws unnoticeable. I find it makes the bottom of whatever you're cooking lighter, and so it needs a shitty sheet pan to work well.

i thought that this was a ryzen processor

He doesn't have a machine washable trash sack.

It's useful if you bake a lot of cookies. The generic ones work just as well if not better than official Silpat brand. Use an empty cardboard paper towel roll to store it in.

>Do I need one?
No, but they're REALLY nice. You know all those amazing demos for nonstick pans you see on infomercials? Well they're all legit with these things. They're great for baking cookies, lining drip trays for glazing, and caramelizing onions/other veggies on.

I just used mine last night to set out dipped chocolate-dipped pretzels on to harden and they slid right off. Parchment paper just doesn't compare.