Try to beat depression

>try to beat depression
>still dont see meaning in anything
>pills make me feel like a robot
>start smoking weed again
>tfw no gf

For what I've read here, IJ by DFW (pic related) explores themes related to my situation
Should I waste my money on it? Will I find some light?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lk0osDo7BDE
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/
journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.01100/full
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

he literally killed himself, so how on earth could anything he said be helpful? He entirely failed.

stop smoking weed

Welcome to the water XDXDXD

this is water bro, sometimes you gotta go to the grocery store and there is a line, but you don't realize you're in the water my dude!! XD

sometimes you're depressed and pills make you feel like a robot so you start smoking weed and you don't have a girlfriend so you /r9k// post on /lit., but that's just the water and this is water!!!

I hate this post but it made me laugh

read IJ because it's an extremely fun read (and has relevant discussion on like all those topics)

but don't read it because you want to find "light" man. talk to someone.

think maybe you guys should listen to the water speech again

OP read it, if it doesn't help any it's at least really entertaining

all meaning other than biological is a spook
lol go hunt a deer and eat berries in a forest and fuck a girl

Why would I talk to someone
I read because I got tired of talking with people irl

Maybe he killed himself because he was too succesful and just wanted to accelerate the next step into superior consciousness

you don't want to interact with people yet you >tfw no gf

do you want companionship or do you want a fucktoy?

Just watch this video
youtu.be/lk0osDo7BDE

LMAO!!!

>it's really entertaining
in a cringe kind of way

Hopefully both
I do interact with people but you just can't go "talking" about stuff like this

this tb h. I am currently reading it, and it touches all that OP mentioned, but you can't expect it to give you light, maybe you will relate a lot reading it and can find something but I think that's about it. if you want some light... greeks and the bible my dude

Greek mythology and tragedies or Plato and all those hacks?

smoking weed gives you anxiety/depression even though daddy jew media is telling you otherwise. Stop smoking weed and stop taking zombie pills, just exercise and meditate(optional) and work your mind, legit you don't need that shit, there is always a reason for depression and you need to face it mentally, if you are in a really bad spot i suggest you try taking mushrooms just once, take 5grams in a dark room by yourself with a bucket next to you and plenty of water. Your brain goes into overdrive when you're on shrooms and you make many realizations about yourself which majorly helps depression/anxiety (caused by weed/shit life) and that is why when you research it you will find thousands of testimonies of people saying it helped them with these issues. legit throw out the weed bro, i know how it feels when you have bought a certain amount, you feel like you gotta use it all, just throw that shit out at least. It kills you mentally.

This and also get a diet rich on vitamins and veggies.

Also avoid sugar because it legits worsens your mood.

kek

I already went through my psychedelics phase, experienced ego death and everything else you are describing.
I know weed is bad, I don't glorify it and I hate the weed pseudo culture, but it's been a long time since I last smoked and I don't really give a fuck.
I'm not going to stop taking "zombie pills". If anything was zombie was my state before I started taking pills, except the for the parts when I was legit going psychosis mode. I meant robot in a stim way. I know it is cool to belive you can just meditate (lol), eat veggies and exercise your way out of depression but it doesnt really work that way. A healthy body is important and helps with a healthy mind, but there are things beyond the chemical aspects of this. There are people who are depressed because their brain is fucked, there are people who are depressed because of existensialism related problems, and there are people who get both. Most of them probably don't even understand where is it coming from.
I don't know what makes you go out and live a life, but I don't get it. I just can't wrap my head around this. The first time in my life when I broke the depressive pattern of thought was after experiencing ego death. The fact that we can't even express into words how that state of consciousness "is" (Foucault has the best description of it I've read), where things just "are", tells us we are not made to understand and experience life in a way that lets us find that thing we are always searching for, at least not in this timeline.
Me and you can always read this as a lot of bullshit created to justify depression, but thats not true and everyone who is not a psychology undergrad who thinks that understands "depression" because he read data about it provided and formulated on stadistics, knows it. This is just modern life.

No, you should read "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell. You'll find some light, maybe consider yourself a beast at bay, and realize that life is a hunt, and the hunt is still on.

Alternatively, you can read my book, "Dance, Dance, Little Monkeys". Its still a WIP, but I'll let you know when I'm done.

why the fuck wouldn't you want to feel like a robot? it beats being depressed or anxious by a fucking million times.

i had pretty severe anxiety and depersonalization and got put on a low dose of antipsychotics for a while and it was great. i wasn't crippled by it anymore

Because it makes me grind my teeth

god fuck off. if you haven't had a severe mental problem you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. there's always these retards in these threads that felt sad or anxious once or twice and are just like "C'MON BRO JUST EXERCISE, BRO JUST EAT RIGHT DUDE LMAO"

do you really think if it was that easy people would still be in that situation

fuck off

inb4 "but i had a severe mental illness and i still just thought myself out of it bro"

Normies be norming

>there's always these retards in these threads that felt sad or anxious once or twice and are just like "C'MON BRO JUST EXERCISE, BRO JUST EAT RIGHT DUDE LMAO"

I suffered from severe anxiety that led cocaine and xanax abuse. I drank myself to sleep every night for almost two years and ended up hospitalized.

Therapy didn't work. Anti-depressants didn't work. Sage wisdom from literature didn't work.

What *did* work was massive amounts of exercise. When you push yourself to follow a strict schedule for weightlifting or marathon training, you give yourself a task that stimulates your brain's pleasure centers, giving you the feeling that you are "dominating" your peers and improving your position in the dominance hierarchy.

That book is a huge band aid, in a good way. I read it over the course of a year, and when I was reading it I felt okay. It's like almost built simply as relief for people with dfw style depression.

Woah depression debunked
Nobody cares about your gay drama

The whole point DFW was trying to make in IJ, is that connecting with other human beings really is the greatest cure for depression

This desu. Normies think feeling a bit blue is depression and feeling a bit nervous is anxiety. They use psychological jargon for their barely existing feelings.

Yeah I bet they haven't even heard voices, lol

Well, I guess is time to fall for the meme then

This. If I hadn't been working out obsessively every other day to deal with my current depression episode (and my situation isn't anywhere near improving) I would have probably committed sudoku by now

You don't have the balls

great. for me it was the exact opposite. i worked out for years pretty obsessively and it didn't cure shit

what did help was therapy and medication. at least don't go into threads like these and say you don't "need" something, when really it might be the only way to help people

>you give yourself a task that stimulates your brain's pleasure centers, giving you the feeling that you are "dominating" your peers and improving your position in the dominance hierarchy.

this is exactly the shit i was talking about. your """""depression""""" was caused by feeling like you were low on the "dominance hierarchy"?? sounds fucking retarded and not real

>even though daddy jew media is telling you otherwise.

I hear from popular magazines and newspapers studies that prove this phenomenon constantly. I happen to agree. I enjoy weed every now and then but do not think anyone with a worrying disorder should be using it.

>stop taking zombie pills

ssris got me out of severe social anxiety.

I haven't read it but I had a dream last night where I bought a zig-zag shaped copy of it because it was the last one in stock. And in the fucking queue was some middle-aged white dude with a pristine copy. What does that tell you? Tells me that we're all in the water kiddo.

Which is true btw

>try to beat depression
>succeeds

>coincidental alteration is brain chemistry
>normie claims agency

Every time!

who here /erdedy/

Are you 《looking for more light》?

stfu you tumblr faggot

>tfw gf

Anti-depressants are just placebos though. I've been tapering mine off over the past six months and have noticed absolutely no difference in my mood.

Woah anti-depressants debunked
Kys

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/

this is a really bad meme.

how could a man with boots like these demap his whole map?

Anybody interested in some sort of an IRC or chat group or whatever for Veeky Forumsizens (and aspiring Veeky Forumsizens) who are really depressed? I have almost nobody to talk to and have many of the same problems as OP. Suicidal thoughts, useless ssris, wasting time with weed, >nogf, isolation and all that jazz.
It’s nice to empathize with /r9k/ sometimes, but most of them are really really dumb and not interested in self-improvement or education.

dis is wader :DDDDDDDDD

you think you're depressed? try being me for a day kid. you'll run home screaming for mommy within the first 45 minutes, guaranteed. people have always told me i have an, lets say, above average intellect. i see things they don't see. i see the world as it is. i see the gigantic hole underneath it all that will swallow us someday, and i have seen this void since i was barely out of diapers. don't believe me? i have poems, written (by me) from when i was very little, detailing this empty meaningless nothing. i've been in this death like spiral, round and around, getting dizzy and throwing up on myself, splashing everyone around me with black bile, it's no joke. i suffer everyday. i feel everything 10 times more than anyone else. i am a highly sensitive person. this isn't a game, it's life.

I love how the people on this thread are shitting on exercising because it's "normie" advice. Well, it's the most recommended thing by therapists and psychiatrists after anti-depressants, so if you're gonna be a self-loathing cuck you might as well off yourself (no offense).

This is either great bait or I too would be as depressed as you knowing I was such a huge faggot

Read this and start seizing control

I know a discord. Can't find link rn tho

i've found that exercising helps (lifting weights in my case), and i agree that it might be enough to help alot of people out of depression. i don't know what those posters are thinking. but it's really aggravating to encounter posters who claim that exercising, eating right, going to therapy and following all the basic guidelines will fix things no matter what. it doesn't always help people who are genetically prone prone to being self-loathing faggots or who are decidedly fucked in the head for other reasons.

You're right. Plus there's literally nothing wrong with being a 'normie'. Nobody here is actually ever going to be a 'normie' anyway. Taking on some of their more positive traits ain't exactly a bad thing.

That's the frustrating part about looking for advice on depression - everyone uses it to describe what they have. I've started meditating, improved my diet, began jogging, and done practically everything possible, but the core problem didn't change at all. If the problem is biological, antidepressants may be your only valid option.

The whole crux of the argument to use antidepressants is a incorrect, see point 7 here journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.01100/full
also this

I will also add that my friend uses antidepressants and he has the same bitchy reaction as you do when confronted with evidence. Guys goes from whining about suicidal thoughts to telling you to kill yourself for trying to help him properly. Face the truth, which is that you are a weak-willed cunt and are seeking an excuse to use drugs.

Not him, but what if you've tried everything else and nothing works? I've taken all possible advice regarding depression that doesn't involve drugs, but I still can't feel any kind of pleasure. My family has a history of mental illness, so I have a hard time believing that brain chemistry has nothing to do with it.

>I've started meditating, improved my diet, began jogging, and done practically everything possible, but the core problem didn't change at all.

Me neither but when you think about it, aren't all those things just papering over the cracks? None of them are wholesome activities that'll enrich your life for the better. At best, trying them might lead to something better in the long run but they in themselves aren't substantial enough alone.

Having a job you find worthwhile and a social support group and maybe some freedom is, in my experience, the best way to curb depression.

I find the exercise advice to be a call for the person to get out of the routine they're in. If they do it but find themselves in an equally bad routine then another change is needed.

I don't know, man. I feel that you're writing about something totally different from me, because "worthwhile jobs" and such don't matter to me anymore. Ever since last year, I haven't been able to properly feel emotions, and only a very small amount of things bring me physical pleasure. Lately, too, I've had a very difficult time concentrating, and I can't string together ideas like I once could. Having a social support group wouldn't matter to me because I can't connect to people and feel any sense of reassurance or comfort like most people can. It feels like there's something fundamentally wrong in my head, and I'm not sure anything outside of drugs can change that.

I'm in the same boat actually, which is maybe why you should listen to me more as I'm not just talking out my ass. Idk breh, all I know is stay off weed, antidepressants, don't drink too much. I feel good when I'm doing 'animal' stuff. I exercise (I lift, but PLAYING is vastly more important, you should be doing shit like keepy ups or catching a ball with friends or whatever), I try to fuck regularly, and I hunt. Basically this guy is right These three things along with trying to eat nice food make me happy, but its unrealistic to expect to never be depressed because we have jobs and have menial things to do everyday. Just learn to live with it, life isn't all about being happy, that's a very very veryyyyy modern outlook and it's too utopian.

Yeah you're right. I was talking about my own experience which i don't expect to relate to everyone. Have you tried professional advice?

>I feel good when I'm doing 'animal' stuff.
That's the thing. I don't feel good. Ever. I'm completely fine with a menial existence, but life like this is completely unbearable, and the only reason to keep living is for the hope that it changes.
I've spoken to a therapist, but he just recommended I try meds. I'm still waiting for that opportunity, but every now and then I see people completely reject meds as a placebo or a scam, and I always have to question them about it since that's my last option.

bro all u need to read is this

I'm like you OP

been depressed pretty much all my life, and have history of mental illness in my family

>being addicted to things is meaning

please gib
some of this anti-ssri stuff based in fact, but ssris are one of the few options for those with severe depression and still show some efficacy that isn't due to a placebo effect. i'm not sure if i would recommend them though.

check out r/depressionregimes if you're interested in antidepressant drugs outside of SSRIs and other psychiatrist-prescribed stuff. ashwagandha, l-theanine, fish oil, and rhodiola rosea have helped me quite a bit. there are some interesting studies coming out around probiotics as well. all of this, however, only really has granted me marginal improvements. it needs to be done with in conjunction with lifestyle changes and so on.
and regular marijuana use is bad. It can exacerbate depressive symptoms, make negative lifestyle changes, and cause (very gradual) cognitive decline.

Meaning is a delusional meme and the privilege of the dimwitted, OP.

You can't unlearn knowledge so you can never get back to that ignorance ever again.

Have you looked into ketamine therapy? Seems promising.

(((Pfizer))) shill pls

>IRC

Its called Discord old man

>post is edgy and involves the word "kid"

Suppose I might, but with Anhedonia, either option is a total crapshoot. It's hard to put faith in /r/depressionregimes advice since even the most optimistic feedback is only "It helped a little", like you said. Right now, I'm storing all my hope for SSRIs, since they're the only solution I've heard of for this specific problem. Ketamine also supposedly works, but the effect is brief, and clinics are few and far between.

What you don't realise is that the non-SSRI drugs and probiotics you mention are often touted as hormone fixers for men and are constantly recommended in the fitness industry, they fall into that category of exercise etc as a cure for depression, and doing heavy squats twice a week would have a greater effect than daily consumption of all of those. People don't recommend lifting weights because it is a 'routine' or 'takes your mind off of it' (maybe they do say this, but that's not why it works), it's because of the hormonal effects it has. Doing primal things will be much better for you than supplements or drugs. Literally the best cure for depression and nihilism and all that shitty dread is having a child.
It seems you are victim of placebo and believe ingesting magic beans will help you. Not trying to be rude btw. You are dead right about weed.

Who the fuck is this guy? What video is this from?

Actually there is no implication in your post that you should depend wholly on supplements, in fact you stated the obvious and emphasised the importance of lifestyle...so I apologise to you

>Who the fuck is this guy?

opposite* not obvious

Yeah, since childhood. I really wish I could see things diferently.

Coca cola gives me more anxiety than weed

What did DFW think about weed?

try vyvanse, amphetamines are the REAL antidepressants, SSRIs don't work

this is one of the only things i've read about that really seems to 100% 'cure' people, but i doubt its long-term potential and safety. i wouldn't be afraid of buying it via the darknet but i also imagine that it's not very affordable.
do you have any experience with it?
that's fair. it takes several weeks to know if the ssris are going to benefit you, and you might need to try more than one to actually encounter a drug that makes a difference. i hope for the best 4u man
the drugs i posted have clinical evidence supporting their efficacy. it's just unrealistic to give them to someone who wants to die and expect significant improvement from them alone. but yea i agree about tapping the 'primal'.
it is if you do it everyday and are a really sensitive bitch

I'm on wellbutrin

Do you actually desire a girl? Depressed people don't genuinely want things.

I am a sad person. But over the years I've come to realize my internal remonstrations, the voice that says this is wrong, what is - is not what should be, that he is a liar. Complicit in my misery. I satisfy myself with these inklings of rebellion, I say thus I am not consumed by my sadness, a sort of due diligence, a proof of concept, of hope itself. This keeps me enthralled evermore.

I love nothing and no-one, least of all myself. The very heart of me does not protest. All else? Posturing, a crafty trick I play on myself. When you come to realize the cleverness of man, the true possibility and debasement of cognitive dissonance, you come to know your own will. And maybe find some comfort. It feels like sinking, placidness fills your body and spreads like cold through your veins. Then there is peace. What follows is nothing to you, having forfeited yourself to yourself.

You say you had no depression when you experienced the "ego death", have you tried getting into Buddhism? I don't mean the faith based tibetian bullshit, but Zen. It's entire emphasis is on killing the ego by practical ways, it's pragmatic, there is little bullshit in it. Try learning from an actual teacher instead of books/meditating on your own. It's basically experiencing everything Heidegger says instead on just knowing it intellectually

>le ego death may may
druggies please go

I guess I wil give it a try
I would just take lsd again if I could

Is not just a druggie thing

>do you have any experience with it?
I don't desu, but it scares me less than going the ssri route for some reason.

For now I'll just focus on trying not to be an alcoholic and getting some sunlight and fresh air though.

Kid's stuff

close, still a works on the dopamine system but not intense enough

Maybe it would be for the best if OP kills himself and DFW will show him the way