Things you hate in a cover

>cover is literally just a photo of the author

Glad to see someone else absolutely despises this.

Better than the picture of someone-who-may-very-well-be-the-author-but-actually-isn't-lmao

It can be good, depending on the photo

Marketing bullshit.

>New York Times bestseller
>BY THE AWARD-WINNING AUTHOR OF "I'M A PLEB" and "AYY LMAO"
>"Eminent... Divine... The best book ever published since the Holy Bible" --S. Hill, Exaggeration Magazine

So American.

George Orwell isn't in that photo though.

I'd literally rather pay for a different copy online than buy a copy like pic related in store

Yes, yes. Fuck that also.

I don't buy books very often but honestly I'm so autistic about this that I have often refrained from checking out library books just because they have the face on the cover.

>when the quotes are literally the cover

Penguin Modern Classics is the worst offender for this shit, literally all their Keroacs are this

Do people actually buy books because they think the author is good looking?

But what if it is kooky like this

>cover is a stylised quote from the book

the only times its acceptable are when the author is the actual subject of the book like in pic related

AUTHOR NAME
Book Title

yeah they do. Kerouac is just as much as a symbol for the American counterculture as he is a writer, and he is the go-to guy for the beat generation. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if On The Road is one if not the best seller for penguin.

Do people really look up to Keroac himself? he wasn't really even a beatnik, he just wrote books, converted to buddhism then died

I think he appeals more to (mostly) young adults as an aesthetic or a lifestyle choice than as a person.

>cover is nothing at all

it was his plainness which appealed to people, he was a relatively ordinary guy who wrote about things ordinary people thought about.

Overly colourful with pictures. I like them plain, and often feel worried that people are thinking I'm reading YA dragon-fighting shit if the cover is too loud or MS-Paint-tier design

I guess it's okay for celebrity fiction to have shit covers, just as a warning to intelligent people

>cover is from a film based off of the book

>cover has a no/a strenuous connection to what happens in the book

>Cover is literally just a photo of the author's oiled up dick

He went to the movies a lot in the book...

yes but it seems odd to make it the main focus of the cover, it would be different if it was also the main focus of the book

dependent on the book the minimalist approach can be quite appealing.

this is cancer.

maybe for Hemingway's novel.

>judging books by their cover