Cortazar, king of memes?

Any thoughts on this book?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9b7Y4v4sXfU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's brilliant and better than most things lit likes, rewarding challenging puzzling and fun, so quit talking about it or it'll become a meme

I've never heard anything about it being a meme.
I plan to read it because I loved Savage Detectives and Bolano cites this as a heavy influence.

/ñ/ doesn't like it very much because a lot of quotes from the book are constantly posted on facebook accompanid with a picture of a cat, cigarrets and coffe by stupid girls. Regardless of that, it's good. Cortazar gets complex, playful and deep through the whole book. A "contra-novel" as he called it. Btw I don't know anything about the english translation but I feel it may kill a little bit of the text bacause of the kind of language Cortazar uses.

i remember when i was underaged and worried about things i liked being turned into memes. what a miserable piece of shit i was

>baby's first spic lit
fucking tasteless gringos slit your wrists

Post a book so we can make fun of you as well.

>king of memes
That's still a debate between Swift and Aristophanes.
Maybe Gumaraes Rosa.
>tfw you will never stand up and leave in the middle of a gunfight shouting you've seen the Virgin Mary
>tfw you'll never let two brothers who killed their father go unpunished because they did it on the virgin's name
>tfw will never make a pact with a devil that doesn't exist

arlt is the pinnacle of argentinian lit.
rayuela is literal shit compared to pic related

wouldn't 100 years of solitude be the better candidate for that title?

>100 years of solitude
>argentinian
fuck off

also, garcia marquez is overrated.

am i misreading something? who thought garcia marquez was argentinian?

youtube.com/watch?v=9b7Y4v4sXfU

Reading it in spanish and the vocab is pretty difficult even for me as a native speaker. It seems( up till what i have read) that the characters are difficult to distinguish between eachother much. Its all a yea dude coffee jazz cigs and sex bro paris intelectual lifestyle bro type thing going on.. im wondering: What is the point of its "experimental" form? Should I stop and consider every reference of literature, art and music that he makes? Is the obsession of Horacio seemingly deep but really just concreted in the first chapters? What difficulties did you all face when reading it? Is it really worth it?

Been meaning to read something of Arlt. Is this the piece of his you recommend most?

>it'll become a meme
Anglosphere much?

>/ñ/
I miss you, I miss you, I miss you

It becomes better or worse once he leaves Paris depending on your attachment to pseudo-intellectual conversations (there is less of them from that point forward)...

He is black

every white/whitewashed indian chick with crazy eyes has this book on their bookshelves in college. Am I gonna get laid if I read the wikipedia for it? asking for a friend

There prolly isn't any point to the "experimental" form other than he wanted to play with the form. Authors are often put in a different category than painters or musicians when it comes to play with form. This doesn't stand out any more than other great writers did with form, such as Pynchon, Morrison, Faulker or Dick, but whether or not you enjoy how he plays with it is entirely your aesthetic. Also the hidden sphynx

No one can beat this madman.

maybe its a problem with Cortazars style. I read the Blow up collection and didnt like it much. Hopscotch is too much stylistic fluff although here and now there is some really beautiful writing. Is this just the lack of proper grasp of politics of any expat such as himself or even bolaño as well?

I would say that much playing for the sake of playing is pretty worthless if not with motive. This is for any medium. If thats true with Hopscotch then its ultimately underachieving what it could have.

That'a deliberate. The book is a critique of that lifestyle for the most part.
There certainly was a point in the experimental form (and same goes for 62). For one, the critique of the pseud lifestyle becomes much more apparent if you read it in Cortázar's order.