Well, Veeky Forums? Which one?

Well, Veeky Forums? Which one?

:(

Start with the Gr- ...oh, wait... Iliad. Hector did nothing wrong.

Iliad
>boring ass section about achilles shield
Odyssey
>boring ass section when Odysseus comes back that's longer than the boring section in the iliad
The iliad is better.
I like grey eyed pallas athena! though she is my waifu.
My eye's started twitching and my heart beat went high when I read a stupid christian writer from ancient rome, insulted athena that's how much I love her.

faggot

Odyssey for peacetime
Illiad for wartime

what time is it now

>Hector did nothing wrong
Come on now

this is a very smart poster, not saying that as a joke, other people in this thread need to take this post seriously bc this guy just cut through your 100 m high wall of irony with 5 words like a fucking master

seriously man, wish I had your talent, it would be an incredibly useful one

>>boring ass section about achilles shield
but that was the highlight of it, alomg with the list of ships, it was shit like MAIMONIDES SON OF HOMONIDES SON OF SOME OTHER NIGGER GOT SHOT IN THE KNEE BY ALEXOS SON OF etc etc for thousand times.

stemshit off my board now

>reading should be useful

kill yourself, NOW

wtf

>lvl 4 irony fag confused by lvl 35 sincerity master
sorry senpai lol,

it's beat down! time!

Shield section was the tits, you fag

Both /thread

I couldn't tell you

The Odyssey is better written but the Iliad is about better things.
This.

Odyssey.
Iliad is for braindead Americans.

This guy knows.
THe Illiad eally happened. It is a poetic retelling of a glorious war that was bigger than anything in the Greeks' collective memory. Just for historical reasons (and anthropological), it deserves attention and interest.
The Odyssey is more on the fiction side. But it has a superior story, superior telling of the story, and more intriguing plot. It's an insight in other cultural aspects, too.

Read them both.

Been war time for over a decade and you know it.

Been war time since the dawn of humanity of you ask me.
Okay, no, not in Machiavelli's sense. There are times of genuine peace, right after the biggest wars. But they last very shortly.

In the west? No.

"In" doesn't preclude you from certain inevitabilities of war waged even if it is without.

Relevant question: I've read both but I'm interested in filling the gaps in-between AND literally anything that happens before the Iliad - the whole war and whatever happened before it. What should I read?

wikipedia lol

haha lol thx man no seriously you fucker give me fucking literature

h-hamilton lol

Muslims torched it all

Sorry

Aeschylus' plays
Trojan Women by Eurypides
Thucydides
Pindar mentions some tangentially related shit sometimes.

>he thinks there was actually a war between the Greek city states and the city of Illium

Sporadic reminder that there is no historical evidence said war actually happened. That the so dates of the destruction from the so called site of Illium don't match up with when such a war would have happened.

The Trojan Epic by Quintus of Smyrna takes place immediately after the Illiad and ends just before the beginning of the Odyssey.

Vouch

wrong

Athena is pure you fucking disgusting creature, don't sexualize Athena or I'll cut your throat.

Iliad for the poetry.

Odyssey for the composition.

This man speaks the truth.

Also The Aeneid, fight me.

Good luck with the catalogue of ships - just skip to the end and know there were a lot of fucking people on a lot of fucking boats. Fuck the Iliad.

The oddysey is a wet dream.

Thanks.

Nah. He was just as headstrong as Achilles (leading the whole army outside the walls of troy), his treatment of patroclus' body is almost as disrespectful as Achilles was to his, he tried to kill old nestor an ancient man and non-combatant, he refuses to honor the deal when menelaus clearly beat Paris in the duel, he wrongfuly sported Achilles armor, he is a hypocrite by showing himself angry at Paris but supporting him publicly (being the golden boy of troy he could have made prism give Helen back), he thinks he is invincible because Apollo fights for him and when his courage was ultimately tested it doesn't match up to his arrogance and he flees thrice around troy from the mighty Achilles.

The only reason people like him is because you see him around his family, which you don't get to see of any of the Greek warriors. And even then he treats andromache like she was an idiot and disregards her.

*swallows*

I think Hector did nothing wrong in the same sense Griffith did nothing wrong.

Who is Griffith

...Damn.

So true. And I never liked the cunt.

The Iliad. It's a much more masculine poem. Maybe the most masculine poem.

>I never liked the cunt.
we can tell

>whole chapter about chariot racing and achaeans grappling each other

>chapter