/deenz/ Canned Fish General

Last one topped out. Peel one open, boys. Snacktime.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8GTo1zyQXmQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Snacktime.
Or mealtime. My NYE dinner was a bottle of blanc de blancs, riga sprats, slices of bread, capers and mustard. Thank god I have a wife who thinks that shit is romantic.

this thread is diabetes friendly

Who /pescatarian/ here?

I just discovered that oysters come in cans, smoked. New life, ahoy

I've actually had a lot of good experience recently with canned seafood where in the past I didn't. I've been enjoying Polar's canned salmon filets as well as some trout filets and even a can of stuffed calamar that was pretty good.

>canned salmon filets
Never enjoyed canned salmon.
>can of stuffed calamar
Canned squid in ink can be delicious, though. However, nothing rescues cheap whisky like sardindes.

Best sardines.

Any sardines smoked and packed in olive oil are best sardines.

Yeah
protip for the newfags here at /deenz/: Olive oil is best. mustard/hot sauce/tomato sauce are tied for second best.
Everything else is crap.
Try to do your best to avoid soybean and cottonseed oil packed seafood if you can. I make an exception for smoked oysters, but I drain them well.

Water packed is the worst.

water packed is mushy slime not worthy of your kitty cat

the eternal quest to find my /white anchovy/ boys continues

What are you favorite ways to eat your deenz? Wanna get into them but I want to go in prepared.

why not buy kipper snacks?

firmer, meatier texture. less fishy taste.

Do smoked oysters come in olive oil? or any of the above ones you mentioned?

They smell awful and are worse than sardines.
Unless I am confusing them with herring.

straight out of the can, maybe with some pepper/cayenne/hot sauce to your liking
mash them up good and spread them on saltine crackers.
mash them up and spread them on toast
deenz make a great base for a tasty pasta dish. many great recipes exist for this
Sometimes I just drop a can of sardines and their oil over salad greens with some croutons, maybe with a dash of vinegar and oil to balance out the amount of salad greens that need dressing.
toast corn tortillas and spread some mashed deenz and avocado on top for an excellent tostada

possibilities are endless

I only ever see smoked oysters packed in cottonseed or soybean oil where I shop. Maybe you can find them packed in a higher quality. My #1 thing with oysters is to no source them from China which is hard enough to do on its own

What do you guys think of Crown Prince desu

>firmer, meatier texture. less fishy taste.
can anyone else confirm this? it sounds perfect

Kipper snack are good. Herring is good. Just much fishier tasting than sardines. Great source of O-3s though. I eat them regularly, not quite as often as sardines though

no source them from china? What do you mean, not eat oysters that are from china? Do you have any brands that you suggest?

I love them. But I live in NYC where they're a specialty shop item (you have to go to a store that has Italian and/or Spanish imports), and they charge a premium for them. Hard to do that all that often when I can get locally smoked mackerel for way cheaper and it's just as satisfying. But I will treat myself to boquerones every now and then. They're really fucking good. But not a day to day food for me.

What do you eat sardines with? I usually eat them with yams and other root veggies.

My #1 advice to all tinned seafood eaters is avoid Chinese sourced products.
Even the wild caught in the Atlantic but shipped to China for packing brands.

Best sardines come from Morocco. Hands down.
Pacific sardines are pretty good too but
nowhere near close to Mediterranean sea sardines.
Thailand/Vietnam are just a step above China sourced.

As for Herring, I like what comes off the German and Polish fishing vessels and packing plants.
Feel free anons to chime in on your personal favorite source waters for your canned fish.

>yams and other root veggies.
never tried this. Suggest a recipe user. sounds like it has the potential to be good

I'm from New York and that's where I grew to love them, I live in the south now and they're impossible to find sadly

can't beat tomato deenz on buttered toast

I say the same thing every time one of these threads pop up, but consider fisherman's eggs. Protein packed and fucking delicious every time.

Por que no los dos?

alright i bought the fuckin deenz, thanks to some anons tip in the last thread i mashed them on toast with some hot english mustard, and added a tiny bit of pesto too. i've gotta say this is a completely average lunch, and i don't see why i should make the switch from tuna. if someone has a better recipe that'll convince me then pls lemme know, i really want to like deenz.

Yeah, you can save yourself time and get the ones that are packed in tomato sauce. Some herbs here and there and some spaghetti make a really great meal for one.

The heart goes out, bro. If it's any consolation the specialty shops here that aren't run by immigrant families and/or aren't in the outer boroughs are all crazy expensive these days, as are the tapas places. Living well here if you're not rich seems to be a matter of being in the right place at the right time in either Brooklyn or Queens.

Did you get the ones in olive oil? Do you have good brown bread, onions and capers? Don't toy with us.

olive oil packed deenz + a can of tomato sauce. season to personal taste with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, cayenne, onion/garlic powders, and whatever else. on top of cooked pasta works well too

For one, tuna's got a shit ton more mercury in it. Second, you might be eating dolphin. I always buy line and pole caught skipjack, but if you're buying starkist expect dolphin.

Is probably better than the tomato packed ones, but I like the convenience of the tomato packed ones. I know tomato sauce is cheap, but as a single man, I wanna make food as cheaply as possible.

king oscar, double layer in olive oil. good wholemeal bread, no capers or onions tho.

We need deats fucker? How'd you fuck it up?

Please tell me you threw some form of lemon or lime juice on it?

Capers and red onion make it better, So does a good beer or strong Spanish white wine.

What's the loss in the effort of opening a can of tomato sauce in addition to the deenz and getting a very heart healthy does of olive oil into your diet?

there was a hint of lime in the pesto, and i sprinkled some corn kernels into the mash.

i'll try that out thanks

>pesto
>corn kernels
>sardines

what the fuck am I reading?

i figured if corn goes wel with tuna why not deenz, and only a dab of pesto to test the flavour combo

>goes well with tuna why not deenz
tuna and deenz are two very different animals

Nothing particular, but I have olive oil on tap and even the cheapest can of tomato sauce raises the price of the meal by a bit. Also, when I'm looking to make a single meal, a can of tomato sauce creates too much sauce. I'm not looking to save any leftovers since I work in a kitchen and this is more likely a day off or drunk food type scenario.

Hint of lime is not the same as using a half a lime on a can hombre. Don't skip the citrus, it needs acid.

>and only a dab of pesto to test the flavour combo
did it elevate the flavor?

> I have olive oil on tap
rich fag detected

>a can of tomato sauce creates too much sauce
simmer that shit down faggot. have some patience.

> a day off or drunk food type scenario.
just don't forget to turn off the stove between eating and passing out

fishermans eggs look good. I'm going to try this shit tomorrow

Ooh la de da, I spend 10 dollars every other month for olive oil, I must be so fucking rich.

>10 dollars every other month for olive oil
>(((olive oil)))

>has olive oil on tap
>doesn't wanna pay for tomato sauce cause trying to save money

It's called priorities nigga, I have more uses for the olive oil than the tomato sauce.

youtube.com/watch?v=8GTo1zyQXmQ

i didn't notice much taste from it other than the basil, the deenz mask everything else.

i'll give that a go too, i love citrus so that's music to my ears.

anyone have recommendations for canned salmon recipes?

I can make a bretty good pomodoro sauce my dude, but it's all effort v. want. I want canned fish spaghetti that tastes good, but I don't want to put that much effort in a meal for one. You split the difference, it still tastes awesome. If I'm trying to impress somebody else, sure, I'll put more effort into it, but when I'm drunk in my undies, who am I trying to impress? You fags? Fuck that.

That's what I wanna hear. Sardines are amazing, but you gotta understand it's gonna be fairly fishy and it needs strong flavors to hold up to it, or else it will overpower things. Capers, onions, and a lemon will do wonders. Peppers are nice if you like them. Did you buy boneless skinless or the full fish? I know when I started, I ate cento cause they were boneless skinless and it made the transition easier.

add rapeseed oil to that list.
had some shitty herring packed in rapeseed today and it was disgusting. soggy, mushy.

olive oil keeps the fish most firm.

i've only had bad smoked oysters in cottonseed oil. you can probably find them packed in olive oil. just go for the more expensive stuff.

i've been getting oysters frozen, without shell, as a more affordable option. pop those suckers into boiling water or steam them or bake/broil them with sauce. very versatile. had a few yesterday in instant ramen, tasted great.

not a big fan of canned oysters due to one bad experience with the cottonseed oil, plus they're more expensive canned vs. frozen. i've never tried those oysters in the jar either. they look nasty.

Water packed is fine, I eat tons of mackerel in brine.

>Water packed is fine, I eat tons of mackerel in brine.
water packed mackerel is fine. Water packed sardines not so much.

Well, it ain't much of a recipe, but in my country (Puerto Rico) it's traditional to cook stewed cod fish and boiled root vegetables like yam, yucca, sweet potatoes, taro, eddoe and green plantains and green bananas (these are actually fruits, but whatever). I decided to start using sardines instead of cod, and cooking the yam with onions.

Sunflower oil is fine. Not olive, but acceptable.

Where are you getting frozen oysters because I need this bad

balance that shit out is all
it's all about the ratios

>Mix hellacious hot sauce with a bit of mayo, spread it over king oscar
Literally the most delicious thing I've ever had

Texas toast + chinese mustard + sardines on top + light salt/pepper
A m a z i n g

Kippers are basically smoked salmon but cheaper

Just had pic related. Tough, mushy. Doubt I'll be buying it again.

water packed isn't too bad but maybe I love deenz way too much. No argument that olive oil is absolute best though.

Slap some on a cracker and hit it with hot sauce or that the whole can and make a sandwich on a nice fresh baked long roll with some spinach and some sliced block cheese

Sardines are way healthier than tuna

I had those, they tasted good, but i couldn’t get a whole fish out in one piece

For some reason I'm always afraid to eat deenz in any other method but straight from the can. Though once I tried making a soy sauce reduction thing for some, stupidly forgetting the fact that soy sauce is salty as shit...

Try sardines with boiled potatoes, mustard and a pickle. Turns it into more of a hot meal for when it's cold out.

You guys made the craving rear it's head again -- eating some King Oscar Tiny Tots with onion and lemon juice and some Takis on the side rn.

Just had a wisdom tooth pulled, are deenz still safe to eat?

You going to let that stop you?

At first I only came here for the memes. But now I eat deenz every day.

trying this right now. went in not knowing what to expect.

reminds me of canned clams, but more bland. no real flavor.

very chewy and firm. i like it.

I'm so happy there's a deenz general

I shall name my son Deen.

Get some in ink. Delicious.

Sure didn't, ended up eating a tin not 5 minutes after posting

Was worried about bits of deenz getting up in the wound but it seems like all is good

Reminder: deenz on crisp bread with hot sauce can't be beat.

Welcome aboard the /oysterlife/.

Are you the guy with that sardine blog?

The really cool thing about sardines is that they go well with pretty much everything. It's uncanny.

>sunflower oil
>not olive oil

Saw these in a friends cupboard, rate his taste.

bump

>hitlerdubs
>VIGILANTE
The prophecy is upon us.

My deen vehicle of choice.

I like rye against them, too. Usually I go for rye bread, though.

the smoked oysters with chili pepper are one of my faves

Hey /deenz/ what's the verdict on Sunny Sea Sardines in brine? Seems like a pretty good deal

Not great. A real bummer that the dollar corner got rid of the generics in oil, those where really nice.