Stock Questions

Stocklet here. What is your method for making your own stock/broth? How do you store bones you're collecting until you have enough for stock? What else do you add, and how long do you cook it for? How long does it keep after you're done cooking? Do you wash the bones in case there's any seasoning or such left on them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TZ116DJrJtg
youtu.be/cmWeaL2TNWs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>seasoned bones
I never use used bones for broth.

Chicken broth:

>get whole chicken (no innards)
>take off breast, thighs and wings for later use
>alternate: leave thighs and wings for baking or tearing into soup bowl afterwards, this may yield a more fatty stock but allows more volume if you want a hefty soup with meat, veg and noodles
>rinse remains with good hot water, you will have less foam, gets rid of bone chips and such, some people throw a bitch fit for rinsing chicken but you just need to get quality meat and utilize basic hygiene, muh salmonela
>place carcass in hot salty water, alternatively roast beforehand on a bit of fat (light/dark stock)
>some people add vegetables immediately, I let the carcass roll on its own for a bit (hour max)
>collect gunk foam with a spoon regularly
>add: parsley green, green paprika, onion, whole black pepper, allspice, bay leaf, carrots, celery, kohlrabi and leek, salt, maaaybe garlic; maybe roast the carrots a bit if you like before adding the water
>cook another half hour at least (till the carrots get soft, but not mushy)
>strain, dice the veg and tear off the meat for soup bowls (cook noodles)
>let it cool
>fill ice cube bag with stock and throw in freezer for use in sauces
>filter through cheese cloth or cook in an egg white to collect the gunk and give a crystal clear broth if it looks too cloudy

Cook on very low heat, boiling but just so. Cover on cooks the ingredients faster, cover off creates a more dense stock (water gets cooked off). You can also use a pressure cooker to do the whole thing in a jiffy. I dont fuck with rind stock so I cant help you there, takes too long. Chicken broth should not be cooked for 2+hours or it will feel dead, you want freshness, but still arich taste. If you plan on using it as a base or boost for sauces, dont oversalt it. Less is more, except for vegetables, there more is more. Some people even add mushrooms and green kraut, but that is too much for me.

Hope it helps.

I like making chicken gravy or chix noodle soup. so I usually just get a few leg/thigh quarters. then get my veg.. try to use the scrap parts of the veg (celery leaves and bottoms. stuff close to the stem) and other veg too. onion carrots. what ever needs used up. put enough water in pot to cover the chicken and veg. season it with salt and pepper and throw some garlic and what ever seasonings I feel might go nice with it.
bring to a boil knock it down to a simmer and let it simmer for 3-4 hours or until the chicken is ready to pull off the bone.
I got a quart in the fridge from a couple weeks ago. so instead of freezing it. I'll make some gravy to use up this extra turkey here
if you freeze it don't fill it past your jar's spot that it starts to get small nearing the top. It might expand and crack your jar

Ya like that other user said, definitely don't salt it much (better not to at all) unless you have a clear application in mind. It will reduce a lot. Though Im not sure about the 2hr cook time. I think I've done chicken stock longer. Mine is pretty basic, I use the bones from a carcass, with a little meat if there's any left over. I cook for 3-4 hours, with the bird, mirepoix, and maybe a bay leaf. Skim for fat occasionally, as this will give a much clearer stock. When it's done, put it in a container in the fridge or freezer. The fat will separate off and if frozen can be cut away with a knife. When I've made stock in the last (mind you I haven't cooked in a couple years) I liked to freeze it, but you'll know you've done well when it has a gelatinous consistency when cool/room temperature. Homemade stock is a beautiful thing, leagues away from the store-bought crap that is basically chicken flavored water.

Ok here's a question. I bought pork neckbones ($2 for 2.5 lbs) I wanna make a stew with them I mean basic I'm broke I have onion sweet potatoes and russet potatoes along with basic seasonings. What do

>What do
I'd do this
>what ever needs used up
or in your case what ever can be used up. the neck bones might not need a long simmer though.

good guide right thurr, though some things to add:
>use any part of the animal thats heavy in connective tissue/fat/bone
>roast before/sear in pot/no sear, all viable but different results
>add vegetables+herbs+spices
>basic broth for asian appliances i do: garlic,bunch spring onion, bit ginger, piece of kelp, dried shitake
>western: parsley,leek/onion/shallot,carrot,celery root,bayleaf,peppercorn (dried mushrooms,kelp for youmaymay)
>cook until it tastes good, skimming is mainly aesthetics, the longer you cook the better it will usually taste, you can aways add more water again
>run through sieve, let cool, freeze/use/w.e
>if you need to rush things, chop the animal or put it in a mixer

And last advice, you cant really fuck up, its essentially just good stuff cooked for a long time, if you simmer and check every hour or so there is nothing that can go wrong, top up water as necessary. the animal and the stuff you put in with it, is completely adjustable, while i have things i prefer to put into my broth, ill still do it even if i have nothing but a chicken carcass and random pantry ingredients around. having broth around is just a very nice way to enhance many of your other meals, though i love it so much i sometimes just cook with it straight away or eat it as a soup with, for example, tomatoes and dried tamarind+rice on the side.
anyways, its the most adjustable and hard to fuck up things you can do in the kitchen, also i 2nd the whole chicken advice, youll find a tutorial how to butcher a chicken in 10 seconds

sear neckbones till browned over high heat, add onion quarters with skin, add anything you have that makes sense spice/herbwise (bayleaf,pepper,1-2 allspice,kelp...).
simmer for multiple hours, id say 4 at least for pork. remove pork, let cool, remove meat from bones, add diced potato/sweet potatoe back to the stock along with the pulled meat. maybe remove some chunks potatoe midway and mash them with a fork, for added viscosity in the stew.
It wont be very complex in flavour, but i believe itll taste good

>hey mom what's for dinner
slurry, your favorite
>aw i hate semi-liquids mom

Roast bones in oven until slightly browned.
Add onion, celery, carrots, and sweat the vegetables.
Put some red wine and scrape the bottom, bring to a boil and dump into stockpot.
Add cold water, bay leaves and peppercorns.
Bring to a simmer, move half the pot off the flame so only a part of it is boiling.
Skim the scum that accumulates on non boiling side of pot.
Simmer for maybe 6 hours, or until impatient.
Slowly pour through strainer leaving the sediment at the bottom.
I pour it back into a clean pot and reduce a little more then store it in ice cube trays. Used some of those cubes today in the Crock-Pot with the neckmeat of a wild pig I got last weekend.

Herbs and spices to always use: whole black peppercorns, bay leaves, parsley

For beef, allspice berries and a little rosemary

For chicken, thyme sprigs

For pork: small amount of caraway and fennel seeds

And for fish stock, nothing but parsley

I just throw the carcass of whatever poultry I have cooked into the pressure cooker and then cook under pressure for 30 minutes. I don't add any vegetables or spices. I will add those with each dish I make from the stock.

Also I pull a lot of meat off of the bones for soup/stew. You would be surprised how much meat is left on a chicken or turkey when you are done carving it.

this sounds like a massive fucking amount of work

How so? All you're doing is boiling a chicken with vegetables and herbs for a couple of hours until it's cooked.

Maybe when YOU are done carving it, there's barely scraps left clinging to joints when I'm done ripping it apart.

Meat/bones/cut you use depends on how dark and rich you want your stock.

Leave salt until the end, salting at the start means you're reducing something that's already salty, and can become too salty easily.

Tonkotsu broth, make ramen

Is this for beef consomé?

The temperature that the anons are all talking here is the "high" setting on a slow cooker. Works like a charm, you can leave it as long as you want.

Take katsuobushi
Take kombu
Boil together
Strain
Make the solids into furikake, eat with rice
The liquid is dashi
Best fish stock ever, super easy to make

No, that is further processed by straining through a fine filter then adding a mixture of lean ground beef and egg white. Slowly bring this up to heat and stop stirring when the beef and egg start to congeal. If done properly, the beef and egg matrix solidify and trap any sediment in a wad of meatloaf that acted as a filter.

I'm sure I skipped a few steps and ingredients but I'm going off of memory from about 10 years ago in culinary school.

>cook something
>have puddle of juice left over
>put it in the fridge
anything other than this is tryhard faggotry

If I use 2l of water to make stock and after cooking and straining it I have 200ml, does that mean I have 10x concentrated stock? Say if a recipe needs 500ml of stock, I get 50ml of my stock and top it up with 450ml of water?

You overcomplicate what is virtually impossible to fuck up.

Someone needs to note that trimming the gunk out is optional, it's a presentation thing that doesn't really effect the flavour. Asian soups actually expect you to leave the gunk in.

I recently made some while making some pork, but i have no idea what to use the stock for, any ides or recipes?

Speaking of which, from what Ive read, the asian preparation method is simpler and practically the opposite of the euromethod. Put all ingredients in pot, heat on full blast. One hour of rolling boil. Done.

Pls respond, somebody

>rinsed and not blanched
>salted
>seasoned
>GARLIC?!?!?!!

this is all wrong

just taste it
this is an impossible question

>make meat that comes on a bone, or buy a precooked chicken or whatever
>save carcass, extra bones, or any parts I’m not using (neck, giblets, etc)
>put in freezer in a ziplock bag if it’s not time to make it yet
>turn on rice cooker/slow cooker combo
>put carcass in and cover with water
>after a few hours break up bones and stuff
>maybe put in a little bay leaf or something
>put on for a few more hours until it’s inconvenient (usually a time least 12)
>if its fatty I’ll scoop off top layer of fat and broth into a containers and chuck in the fridge or freezer to scrape off separated fat that solidifies at the top
>strain through sieve
>???
>enjoy broth for breakfast in the afternoon

I save every single scrap I don't use, and all the bones after dinner. I separate pork, beef, and poultry into their own individual bags and leave them in the freezer. When I get a full bag, I put the scraps in my crockpot with water to cover and set on low, for at least 24 hours. If your bones to not break in your fingers, your not done yet. When done, strain through cheese cloth, then a fine metal strainer. Chill the liquid in a bowl till the fat solidifies on top and then remove fat (save fat separately if you want). Pour liquid into ice cube trays and freeze to make perfectly measurable concentrated stock cubes for your recipes.

I wouldn't go high, I've gotten some burnt tastes in my stocks when going 48+ hours. Slow and steady wins the race, especially if you are trying to reduce liquid to concentrate the stock.

Wouldn't it be metal strainer, then cheese cloth? I feel like since cheese cloth is such a prescise strainer that if anything use the metal one first for larger pieces then cheese cloth for smaller pieces. This is just based on my jam making experience

to be fair he called it broth not stock. the rinsing is retarded but garlic is acceptable.
op if you want to make stock, CookingInRussia will btfo any co/ck/ advice
chicken - youtu.be/TZ116DJrJtg
beef - youtu.be/cmWeaL2TNWs

Maybe, but I just use the cheesecloth for the larger bits, then throw out the cheese cloth. I use to use a big strainer, but cleaning it was a giant pain, so teh cheesecloth is for convenience sake. My fine metal strainer is easier to clean and good enough to for my final product. I'm not aiming for clarified stock, a little silt in the bottom of the bowl is acceptable.

>classic French brown beef stock
It's not very classic unless it uses a mix of beef shin, veal knuckle, and pork rind. Estouffade or go the fuck home if you're going for "classic French". I hate it when chefs misrepresent what they're demonstrating. Fuck that guy.

did you listen to the intro at all you fucking retard?

I'd pay that outrageous $20+shipping for this picture on a shirt
>mfw I keep forgetting which tab I'm on - Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums?

I just save up all of my vegetable and meat scraps that I can, from skins to cores, name it. (Not organs though, fuck that jazz, player pimp.)
Boil it all up and spice it a little. Drain what I got left for either salsa, dip, anything else.
Turn the rest into compost for my herb garden.