Chicken

how are you suppose to cook chicken? Sorry, new to cooking here, college fag

I have a good skillet (all clad), good extra virgin olive oil. I basically let the chicken thaw, rub spices on it. put olive oil in pan and put chicken on the pan nd heat to medium (medium-high burns it).

Most recipes say to turn the chicken 2-3 minutes. I usually take 15 minutes to cook these thin pieces, thick pieces never cook (1+ inch frozen inside).
Basically the problem is the inside never cooks that's why it takes 15 minutes. But the problem with 15 minutes of cooking is, the outside gets dry and the spices end up getting on the pan and blackening the pan.

At this point I just end up cutting the chicken into thumbnail size pieces before cooking. How do I cook an actual (3-4 inch) chicken breast without having to cut it up?

Someone told me to heat the pan alone for a few minutes so once you add the oil it should sizzle then add the chicken. I currently add the oil and the chicken then heat the pan. But I think I have more problems than just one.

>how are you suppose to cook chicken
with heat

just stick it in the oven for 30 minutes. then finish it by putting it in a pan with some ghee or duck fat to brown the sides.

Flatten them out to an even thickness, then you won't have the problem of overcooked thin parts and undercooked thick parts. And if they're still frozen in the middle, make sure they're COMPLETELY thawed.

>I currently add the oil and the chicken then heat the pan.
you're killing your father, larry

Hot pan, then butter or oil (olive oil isn't very good with high heats), and THEN chicken.

Use a meat thermometer. Put it in the thickest part of the chicken. Remove when chicken gets up to 160-165 degrees f. Juicy chicken every time.

>good extra virgin olive oil
No. That shit is for salads and appetizers, it will smoke before your pan is an appropriate temperature.

Clarify some butter or look up smoke points on oils before you make your food bitter and further carcinogenic.

The oil should be thin but cover the bottom of the pan, adding more oil makes it pan-frying instead of sauteing. Heat the oil until little ripples appear on it's surface, and place your DRY meat in the pan. If the surface it wet it will platter and steam itself rather than brown properly.

Brining your chicken in a 10-15% solution overnight is advisable as the chicken cooks faster, is more tender, and retains more moisture. And buy a cheap mechanical thermometer.

Sear the chickken at high heat on both sides, then turn down the heat (maybe even remove the chicken from the pan for a little while until the hob and pan have ccooled a bit, then finish frying the meat. Press down on it with a fork or something and mark what the meat feels like. As long as it stil has that squishy, mushy feeling of raw meat it WILL stil be raw. Wait until it is completely firm and elastic, then add two or three extra minutes for safety. Then it should be perfect - cooked all the way through but still tender and moist.

With chicken I use butter or Ghee, not oil.

Also, I prefer smaller thumb sized chunks that I can sautee to a full breast.

heat the damn pan first
15 minutes on a hot pan would result in burnt and dry chicken
use something other than olive oil

>it will smoke before your pan is an appropriate temperature
>look up smoke points on oils
nigga will you stop with this fucking meme already. he's not deep-frying it, he uses olive oil to pan-sear shit.
olive oil is perfectly fine for that. it's not a wok dish.

Stop using extra virgin oil to fry chicken. You’re obliterating the flavor that makes extra virgin more expensive, possibly even making it taste bad. Use a frying oil. Oil the pan, put on the heat, bring the oil to temp, then add seasoned chicken. Focus less on what the indicator on the knob says and more on what the oil looks like. You want it to start to ripple a little before you put the chicken in. If you see whisps of smoke or dark edges form in the pan, it’s too hot. It should not take very long for a chicken breast to cook through. Maybe 7-8 minutes on average. Remember that there is carry over cooking. If your chicken is cooked through when you take it out of the pan, it is over cooked by the time you eat it. Get a thermometer if you need to, or cut into the thickest part to see color at first until you get a feel for the process and finished texture. Eventually you’ll be able to prod it with an implement and know if it’s done.

"1+ inch frozen inside"

are you seriously tossing frozen chicken into a pan? let that shit thaw

it is a waste to use extra virgin as a hot oil.

animal fats are always better for cooking meat.

I missed the part where he said frozen. Primary point there.

yes, I'd use some lard too, to be completely honest, but olive oil won't fucking burn on a stove. unless you're a major fuckup that shouldn't be left without supervision anyways

The volatile flavor compounds on extra virgin oils will go well before it reaches smoke point. At least it’s a waste, at worst it will taste bad.

if you are cooking breast just flatten it out as much as you can
any chicken with bone you should just sear briefly on each side and finish in the oven
make sure to use a thermometer too

george foreman grill makes nice grilled chicken

so everyone is saying don't use olive oil. well i have the regular liquid and also the spray.

what's so bad about olive oil? heard it was the most healthy. all my healthy recipes say to use it to cook with for every dish (chicken, stead, soups, etc)

Lol. all oils have a temperature at which they start to burn / smoke. Olive oil has the lowest burn temp, which makes it bad for the kind of cooking you are doing.

>pic related faggot

>what's so bad about olive oil

It will burn and smoke at a temperature lower than many other common cooking oils is the main reason. Not ideal for high heat applications.I'm no scientist but any matter will change properties at certain temperatures, including cooking oils, and the changes can be undesirable for certain applications

When you splash some drops of water on the pan, they should dance and sizzle. If they just sit there or instantly flash or jump out of the pan, then it's too hot. Heat it up without oil.

>I basically let the chicken thaw,
> (1+ inch frozen inside).
That not fully thawed.

Smear that fucking chicken in with a mixture of butter and olive oil and spices, the reason is to get a moist chicken without letting the butter burn.

That's true but also not true. Everyone knows olive oil is great for in salads, but u can also useit too cook. I thought had something to do with if its extra vierge or not.

Pan, nice and hot

Either thaw your chicken completely (stick it in the fridge like 8-24 hours ahead of when your going to cook it) or use fresh chicken.

Thighs > Breasts for flavor but take longer to cook.

Rub with spices of your choosing. BBQ Rub or Seasoned salt and pepper or italian herbs, there's really no way to go wrong other than making it too salty or sugary

Heat pan to medium high, add canola/vegetable oil once pan is heated, let oil heat up then add chicken, skin side down if it has skin.

I usually let it sit for a few minutes until there is a hard sear that isnt burned and then flip. I like to add onions, squash, tomatoes, or any other type of vegatable to the pan immediatley after I flip it and season and sautee them for a min around the chicken. Then I add a little bit of butter, lemon juice, maybe some herbs, and stick it in a 300 degree oven for 6 minutes or so. You can do this with no veggies too

"How do I know when its done?" Poke it with your finger. If you've had chicken before then you know what a done one is supposed to feel like. Firm, and a little springy. When in doubt you could buy an $8 thermometer from your supermarket and be right every time.

There's literally hundreds of recipes on Youtube and Online called things like "How to make chicken breasts that dont suck". Binging with Babish made a good one recently. The answer to all of your questions you've asked in this thread is literally a google search away.

olive oil is fine in cooking, just at lower temperatures than would be used to cook things that would require higher temperatures.It's not ideal for cooking things past it's smoke point.

>I have a good skillet (all clad)
I thought all-clad was a meme.

>new to cooking here, college fag
>ghee
>duck fat

user has chicken and olive oil. Let's turn it down a notch.

Crack some black pepper over the chicken and dredge in flour. Brown it minute or two over med-high heat in some oil. Remove chicken and sprinkle with thyme. Throw some chopped onion in pan and brown while turning heat down to low. Reinsert chicken and cover pan. Low and slow, flip once. Remove chicken once proper temperature is achieved. Sprinkle chicken with paprika. Oil and onion still in pan, turn heat up to medium. Add sour cream and scrape all the goodness into the sauce. Pour over chicken. Serve with potatoes or rice and some kind of veggie. Commence panty dropping.

You're welcome.

>dude chicken browned in fat is too complex for him
>here, have this 10 step cooking recipe and enjoy
>also I assume you have flower, thyme, chopped onion and understand how heat variation effects cooking
Are you some kind of jackass?

>Are you some kind of jackass?
Probably...
I just don't have have duck fat or ghee lying around. Store bought oils, sure. I have olive oil, vegetable oil, corn oil and canola oil. I also have butter.
I don't think my direction are very difficult. Please post the steps necessary to make ghee or render duck fat. I'll wait...

But you have the experience for all that as a someone 'new to cooking'?
Do you understand how asinine that sounds?

I'm not the one suggesting anything just pointing out how you said 'that's absurd, do this absurd method instead'. How full of yourself.

Wow.

Ok, I've tried to make ghee (clarified butter? same thing? IDFK). It takes skill and proper heat management. Cook off the milk solids but don't fuck it up. It's a delicate thing. Duck fat? Never fucked with it, no idea. Not something a college fag would have, certainly.

Cooking a dredged in flour chicken breast in oil? Breddy easy. Fuck around with the temp settings a bit and you will achieve a better result. Oh, and here's an easy pan sauce.
Wa fuckin' La!

Again. So full of yourself.

Not an argument.

Go survey college fags and see how many have duck fat on hand. Meanwhile, flour and thyme are somehow exotic ingredients...

first mistake is you are using chicken breasts when you should be using thighs, cooks better 4mins each side not to mention cheaper

Olive oil is better than butter at high heat ya spoon.

Get a george foreman grill that way you dont even need to thaw them out.

Plus, if you want, you could really burn the shit out of one and then shove it up that funky little ass of yours.

you think college kids have the patience to drunkenly dredge chicken?... i mean yeah of course duck was out of there but honestly most people just throw it in the oven and skip 99% of your guide

>good extra virgin olive oil
Please don't cook with olive oil, ever.

You need to let the chicken thaw completely, dipshit

>you think college kids have the patience to drunkenly dredge chicken?.
ffs go read the OP
Yeah. College fag wants to step up his cooking game.

The hardest barrier to entry for good cooking is ingredients, not technique. Anyone can follow instructions from a book and make recipes 95% similar to 'experts.' The problem is sourcing and affording the best ingredients required for it.

Have the (You) that you want so much. You can't be so stupid that you don't see light olive oil all the way on the left.

You are not supposed to cook the chicken you absolute pleb. Eat it raw.

Not extra virgin, it smokes at lower temp. Should be reserved for salad dressings

Kek, good thread anons

>buy breast
>cut it semi thin or thick depending on how you like it
>put it in Tupper ware with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a bit of lemon juice
>now that it's marinated you can just throw it in a pan and cook till ready

You dipshit on a stick; is it cooked thoroughly? Then whatever. There's, like, more than 10 different methods to cooking meat these days - chicken included. But if you want to effectively cook your chicken, then you should try tenderizing it to even it out so that when you slice it up and cook it the pieces will cook at even times.

I cook my chicken in my skillet with oil as well, sometimes after letting it marinade and then boiling it in its own fat and water and some marinade with a lid on top. But after a while, and after buying this new baking pan, I'll be able to bake multiple pieces instead of three separate batches for fitness and times' sake, where I can spice and baste accordingly. If you want to make sure your spices and flavors don't fall off the chicken then make sure you keep moving the chicken on the heat and avoid letting it dry out in one spot for ''''too long'''' (in the case of letting your meat sit i none spot and cook). Using a lid will help you trap in moisture and heat. Control the heat, user.

Chicken breasts will cook a little faster than its diced counterpart of course. It should take a quarter of the time to cook as opposed to cooking a whole chicken at 2-5 pounds. So it's not too much extended effort. The trick is in the heat, user. You can cook 3 chicken breasts in a 10'' skillet to well done in about 15-20 minutes.

And you won't even have to flip them.

1. Add oil to the pan and turn on the stove ON LOW-MED heat
2. Wait for the oil to sizzle
3. Add the chicken.
4. Flip intermittently till chicken is golden brown. Done.

Its best to ensure ur chicken/meats arent too thick. It takes longer to cook. And would probably end up with the outside getting burnt before the insides are done.

Are you turned on the heat with the chicken already in the pan?

The chicken in your image looks ready to flip. Flip once, ideally. Not more.

Good, but overpriced.

Butter also burns more easily. Clarified butter would have a higher smoke point without a bitter flavour, but it wasn't specified to be clarified.

> In college
> New to cooking

Coddled babby boy.

Butter is great for frying at lower temperatures. If you are frying at higher temperatures you'll want to use an oil that isn't evoo.

pan + olive oil
brown the chicken
about a minute a side on high heat
cover pan
turn heat to low
10 minutes
turn heat off
10 minutes

Will always be juicy and delicious, just dont get impatient and uncover while cooking.

oh yeah some salt and seasoning wouldnt hurt, but you know that already

How does having nuns pick the olives change the smoke point 80C?

Not reading thread. Chicken is boring. But you need to not cook cold. Room temp chicken. Very hot pan with basic oil. Salt and pepper only to make your first good chicken. But you must get a good sear then finish in the oven at *375 'till internal is *160-162. Clear liquid will be coming out. Rest 4-5 min. Eat. Yum.

Also, the Indian Ghee...clarified butter works the best. You want it very hot. I'm not a chef but it seems Ghee/clarified butter gets the hottest without fire.

If theres no extreme urgency I prefer to cook the chicken in the oven.
Put the chicken in 90c oven until thermostat shows internal temp of 60c which is the optimal texture for chicken. Then let it rest for a while before eating.
Google "chicken seasoning" for seasoning recommendations.

If you cant wait 2h before eating I'd just make some stir fry or chicken tikka masala.

This is good for roasted chicken. Rest is important. Juicer. If roasting you can use many more seasonings. Hot pan burns many.

I am btw

you gotta beat the meat.
seriously, it's much better and faster and easier if you tenderize it with the back of your pan or a heavy tool.

>thick pieces never cook (1+ inch frozen inside).
if it's frozen inside then they haven't thawed, have they?

you need to plan ahead, thaw things out in the fridge a day or two ahead of when you want to cook it

>I basically let the chicken thaw

>1+ inch frozen inside

You can solve your problem by letting the chicken thaw.

If you take it out of the freezer in the morning and throw it in the fridge, it should be about thawed when you're ready to cook in the evening, depending on how thick the fillet is.

>1+ inch frozen inside

>Hot pan, then butter or oil (olive oil isn't very good with high heats), and THEN chicken.
>Sear the chickken at high heat on both sides, then turn
>heat the damn pan first
>Stop using extra virgin oil to fry chicken
>Smear that fucking chicken in with a mixture of butter and olive oil and spices,
>Crack some black pepper over the chicken and dredge in flour
>first mistake is you are using chicken breasts
>1. Add oil to the pan and turn on the stove ON LOW-MED heat
>brown the chicken
>you gotta beat the meat.

>1+ inch frozen inside

None a y'all faggots read the problem before trying to solve it, did you?

The most often thing people fuck up with chicken is that they overcook it. If it's rubbery and there's no juice when you bite into it then it's overcooked.

Properly cooked chicken should be juicy and tender.

>leaving your food to cook unattended for anything but slow cooking, pressure cooking, smoking, grilling
i shiggittydiggitydiggittigrisshiggyshiggyshiggygyggygyg

>reEEEEEEEEEEE someone didn't like my recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>How do I cook an actual (3-4 inch) chicken breast without having to cut it up?
just cut it up, what does it matter