How does Veeky Forums organise their books?

Alphabetical by author's last name

By publisher

Top shelf:
>Antique books -> Early horror -> Fairy tales -> SF -> Books on writing
2nd
>Good writers -> Good writers -> Unread Good Writers -> Stuff -> Poetry & Erotica
3rd
>Large format books/anthologies/literary zines -> Golden Age SF -> Good writers -> Okay writers -> Mildly embarrassing books
4th
>Assorted non-fiction -> Asst. non-fiction/philosophy -> Philosophy/history -> Horror & cyberpunk -> Non-fiction cyberpunk
5th
>Random big books/Celtic Mythology -> Graphic novels -> Other large books -> Classical mythology -> Anthropology
AirBnB Room
>Assorted religious texts
Tucked behind other books
>Shit I want to get rid of, psychology stuff, random occultism

>2017
>organising books
>not just put them in a public book shelf after reading them

By date of download.

author's last name, then chronologically

I simply don't.

why are you me with a spare room and graphic novels?

Because you have nearly reached godhood.

I put them on the shelf vertically (or on other books, horizontally).
I arranged them alphabetically by author's last name once, but it didn't last long.

ddc23

grotesque

not bad desu

>geographic location
>date published

Each category alphabetized by author's last name
Nonfiction
Poetry
Novels
Short Stories
Anthologies

Top: Hardbacks, mainly old ones. Sorted by color.
Second: Mostly foreign lit, sorted by country
Third: English lit. Sorted mostly by published
Fourth: Less favored books from the second and third category, sorted by height

My other bookshelf has assorted sci fi and non fiction. There are also some movies there.

By size. The heaviest go down.

By Goodreads rating

Blacks get their own section.

Alphabetical by author's middle name's last initial. If they don't have a middle name, then I moniker them "Anonymous" as anyone without a name.

Like this user

By Color

I just stick them wherever they'll fit and try to keep authors together.

read and not read yet

genre of work>region>author>alphabetical order while trying to maintain a biggest to smallest order overall obviousky

I subtract the number of letters of the author's first name from their last name (or visca versca if the first name is longer.) Then I multiply the result by the month they were born, and that number by the number of letters in the last word of the title. I write down the resulting number and tape it to the spine of the book. I have a section for the the prime numbers and a section for the odd and even numbers ( in intervals of 20, i.e 14 would go to section 1, 45 in section 6). I also have a section for perfect squares and square roots. When two separate books have the same number, I flip a coin (which book gets heads or tails is determined by the alphabetical order of the last word of the title) and the winner of the coin toss goes on the right side.
I read books from smallest to largest number. Crime and Punishment weighs in at a whopping 605; due to the long russian name of the author, as well as the length of the last word and the fact he was born in November. That's the final book I will read, then start over with a new system and donate all the books away. I figure I can keep doing this for another few years before I run out of worthwhile literature

This. Limited shelf-space doesn't really allow for rigid organizational schemes, as getting a new book that, according to a rigid scheme, fits in the middle of a an already full shelf, would force you to move like half of your book collection around shelves. With an elastic scheme like "keep authors/publishing series together" you have much more leeway in adding books to your collection.

Language > alphabetically by author's last name > roughly chronologically

I just pile them.

unread books go into a box under by bed. read books go to the charity shop. future purchases will be on the kindle.

in a big pile on my desk

By topic, and then size. Largest to the sides

This is dumb. Fiction alphabetically by author's last name, then alphabetically by title. Non-fiction separate but same ordering. Anything else is just dumb.

Genuine lol

I just have my books scattered on the floor. Usually when I'm done reading them in my bed I just throw it.

this

>those tabs
>windows 10
>hoi4 in the backround
McFucking kys my dude

Obviously this. But then what do you guys do with collected works? Collected Poems or Collected Sophists or something for example.

Size and Color.

enhanced Library of Congreff

if they're a particular author's collected works, i place them after the series of specific works i own. if i have more than one of those and they can be sorted in rough chronological order, they will be, but if they can't, then they'll be sorted alphabetically.
if they're the collected works of multiple authors, i place them at the end of my collection and sort those alphabetically.

>all these icons
>two chrome, two opera windows opened
>3 steam, sound mixer and explorer
>window store
>all other shit
what THE FUCK are you DoiNg

On the wall across from the wall I hang my life vest on, so I don't drown in pussy my nigga

Fiction:
Dutch lit, foreign lit, authors works are grouped together, authors are sorted chronologically on release of my earliest work of them.
Sci-Fi and fantasy have their own shelves.

Non-fiction:
By topic.

I've always liked the look of filed by colour, but I think it would piss me off when I tried to find a specific book.

The only acceptable answer

Okay, those look pretty nice.

>reddit: the library

5-6K books, split into two libraries (aside from a separate case of antique books in the living room).
Room 1: fiction, author's last name (Victorian or later), then children's lit by author's last name, with some oversized and annotated editions on bottom.
Then classics/Greek/Roman/myth/, philosophy, medieval, early modern, related works (Arthurian, Dante, etc.). Books about literature or authors, biographies, nonfiction, etc.
Then poetry, by last name, with anthologies at the end.
Pre-Raphaelite, Victorian, book arts, private press publishing in its own case.
Books about children's lit (author bios), drama, art books, photos, oversized. Then books about music. More box sets and oversized things are on top of each case, regardless of placement
Room 2: A formerly-organized (by author) clusterfuck of genre fiction (Weird, Mystery, SF, Fantasy, Western), humor, and a ton of graphic novels and collections by/about comic artists.
Both rooms currently feature too much double-row action, so I need to purge and edit again soon. I've added hundreds of books since these pics.

Honestly, i'm always changing the order. Sometimes alphabetically, sometimes chronologically. Sometimes even by colour.

I wish i didn't hate everybody

>where the sidewalk ends
Only acceptable in this bookshelf

by the genre/topic and then by author since authors usually stay within their genre

assuming you bought all of those brand new, which is what they look like, and since the nikola tesla book is about 20 dollars US brand new, while also assuming that the average price of each of those books new would be 20 dollars i can infer that you have spent approximately 1160 dollars US on brand new books which you may or may not read, once if ever, congratulations, shop thrifty books

Just because you hate the editions doesn't mean there aren't some great books in there mixed with the slop.

by nationality

It's 550, not 605 you fucking faggot [I organize the same way so I should know]

By only having the one's that I've read be on display, with the books that I haven't read packed away in a box.

That way when I have girls over and they say "wow what a great collection of books, how many of them have you read?" I can non-nonchalantly say "all of them" while I go about my business, causing her to get wet as she realizes that in a certain way I am an authority figure over her which tickles her daddy-issues.

Hnng at those framed pieces. What is it?

>autistic screeching

blue wallpaper, white shelves, wooden floor

inb4 eye cancer

White walls and black furniture, and it would've been great

are you me?

I don't pack mine away, but the main bookshelf in my bedroom is filled with books I've read. Also daddy issues ladies are really into great theoretical discussions and very kinky sex.

fiction fist by author and then title
poetry after that by author and title
history by chronological order
philosophy by school and chronological order
religious stuff by religion and chronological order
filmmaking and film criticism
books on writing
comic books

>his library is not sufficiently large that he finds it necessary to divide along basic genre lines

First, practical, objective, physical storage considerations. Bigger, heavier books toward the bottom, lighter, smaller books toward the top.

Thus the bottom rows contain my art books, my big Webster dictionary, textbooks and large books in the sciences (mostly math), Movie/making-of prop books (old Start Wars books) and various oversized children's and reference books. Divided up by genre of course and then Alpha-Author-Title.

Upper shelves are where paperbacks and the prose fiction goes, along with the smaller stuff. Extreme top left of the whole setup are basic religious texts, roughly chronologically (desert trilogy, apocrypha, other books on "lesser/lost" bible books, I even have a Book of Mormon for giggles). This is followed immediately by a small occult section which is alpha-author-title (Crowley, and a few other things. I keep my Principia Discordia in this section).

Then comes proper philosophy, which wraps around to history, followed by "fiction and literature". Then smaller, non-textbook-sized books in the sciences (my dover math books go here), which nicely wraps into the lower sciences section.

The less-used shelf in the corner is where I keep my child-tier stuff that I refuse to let go of but never actually use anymore: old anime magazines, comics collections, MAD magazines and video game magazines. Manga trades are stuffed in an overflow shelf which is part of the permanent furniture/structure of the apartment.

Blue paint, actually. But the white bookcases were a great change from my old black ones. They add a lot of ambient light to the upper library, make it easier to see the books, and make it a bit Aegean to sit in. I did black cases for decades, and was bored of them.

That's the reading table in the upper library. It has a pull-out glass shelf I can put documents in (or anything else I want to display under glass). I needed a sizeable table for some large books, and this Ikea find added extra options. It has some 19th-century private press pages (Doves & Kelmscott), and some older hymnal and engraving pages.

>CTRL + F
>Dewey Decimal System
>0 Results

>implications
Sorting by publisher, then dividing each section into series (Penguin Classics, Penguin Modern Classics, etc.), and only then going to the alphabet is the superior system for your private library. It's the closest to a guarantee you can get that books align correctly and don't hide behind each other, and further division into series eventually means your library will also be practically colour-coordinated and aesthetically pleasing (especially so with a lot of German publishers).

Absolutely love it man. What's your oldest one? Preferly theological

this.

Nationality/culture (Chinese, German, British, American, Japanese etc.)
Theme where not applicable.(Religion, modern stuff)
Sometimes by form.(Poetry)
Sometimes in some sort of logical order.(Philosophy)

I also keep an excel file of them.

I do this as well. I tried some other methods like alphabetical order or by publisher, but they seem terribly convuluted in comparison.

this look really bad and you should feel bad

Heh. Yes, I'm very sad about my welcoming private library with windows, couches, and a broad selection of literature and fun reading. I dreamed of it for decades before I bought a house and could have it, but if a stranger doesn't like the color scheme, I'm just heartbroken.

Sience books by subject.

Fiction etc. grouped by author, sorted by the median of date of birth and death of the author and inside the group sorted by the release date of the first edition of the book. If the author is still alive I assume a life span of 80 years. Feels a bit weird to do that, but it works out.

i have a read pile and an unread pile

With none in the former and two in the latter.

By Size of book,
subject of book
And series of books. ,

I have some pages from a hand-lettered 15th-century breviary, but I can't find the scan just now.

Super cool
Super beautiful

Mirin' hard.

Fiction
- Non-science fiction
- Science fiction
Non fiction
- Misc
- History
- Philosophy
* Political philosophy
- Politics and government
- Psychology and self-help
- Science
- Technology and future
- War and weapons

Business
- Business administration
- Economics
* Economic history
- Entrepreneurship
- Biographies (companies/individuals)
- Investing
- Leadership and communication
- Marketing and sales
- Personal finance

Horizontaly by geographic location, and by date of writing within those categories

>Not saving those books for your own children
The abysmal state of the Western World

Right now, as I've just moved it's simply a case of throwing things on a shelf until I have the time to go through them.

Theme/flavor/topic.
And haphazardly.