Have you actually read Harry Potter?

strawpoll.me/13760227

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NMjrXRgu8IU
twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/830426421323526145?lang=en
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Of course, 4 times in total and i started reading it again yesterday. Great series btw.

Are you a grill?

I only read the first 5 books. They are pretty formulaic and get old quickly, and the latter books are bogged down with unnecessary characters and subplots. The first book is good for kids though, it kind of reminds me of the Hobbit, and is more or less completely self contained (which makes me question if Rowling is telling the truth when she says she had all 7 planned out from the start)

I read through the first 4 in elementary school, and then the rest as they came out.
Once was enough for me though, same with the movies.
I enjoyed them as a kid, but have trouble understanding all the adults acting like it isn't a kid's book series.

GET YOUR NEW HARRY POTTER BOOKS
A MULTI PACK OF HARRY POTTER BOOKS

BUY TWO, TAKE EM HOME AND STICK ONE IN THE FREEZER

I'm surprised at the results of this poll. I figured it'd be more skewed toward "yes". I understand why anyone in their late 20s or older may not have read the books, but that doesn't apply to most of this board. I acknowledge now that HP isn't really that great of childrens' series, but when I was in elementary school being a HP reader vs not being a HP reader was a pretty appropriate dichotomy; in almost every case kids belonging to the former were more advanced readers and better students than the latter. What I'm getting at here is that on a board ostensibly visited by intelligent avid readers ages 18-25, I would expect more of them to have read HP as a kid.

Even when I was just a kid I could tell Harry Potter was pleb-tier, hence why I never read it, while all the other media-consuming kids did.

>tfw to intelligent to read harry potter

You can't offer Rowling as a sugar momma and have me turn it down.

when i was in like third grade my teacher read the first book aloud to our class. knowing this makes me feel like it is very silly that there are grown adults i know who take the series very seriously and re-read it religiously

Holy shit that pretentious Blake namedrop at the end was insufferable. Stewart Lee is the worst. I bet you would've clapped at that too you middlebrow dork. Go back to pleddit.

I only read the last 4, after the 3rd movie came out.

That namedrop was stupid. He could at least go by offering Blake as an alternative and genuinely British writer, as opposed to Harry Potter which tries to be but is too caught-up on the 'classics'. Something more mature and still wondrous.

>That namedrop was stupid.

No that is just Stewart Lee. He's a posturing try hard that middlebrow bougies love because sharing in his haughty disdain makes them feel le cultured and smart.

simpsons posters are worse than frog posters

No, never have and never will.

>to intelligent

whatever you say

>>>/reddit/

I'm assuming a lot of the people saying No at least read the first book, found it boring, and put it down.

I found it gripping and it had some of the best worldbuilding I've seen in any book. When growing up with it, growing up with the characters reading a book a year was a hell of a gimmick. The characters are memorable and well developed. The plot is mostly an afterthought. It is a children's book series but it is a very good children's book series. It borrows/steals a ton from classical mythology because Rowling started with the Greeks and it's fun later to realise how she did things like used centaurs to imply Umbridge got raped in a Childrens book.

Only pseuds don't like it and it is already a classic, which makes you think Veeky Forums would like it for fear of being called pseuds for not liking it. It's better than other meme childrens fantasy series like "MUH JESUS" Chronicles of Narnia.

Overall the series is perfect, it is the best children's series ever released for elementary aged children, with every book highly readable.

>which makes me question if Rowling is telling the truth when she says she had all 7 planned out from the start

I believe her claim, loosely speaking, that she at least had a framework for all 7 books from the start because of how cleanly most things wrapped up. If you want to see an example of somebody that didn't, see GRRM.

She said she wrote herself into a plothole for book 4 though and rewrote half the book.

No but I've read the expression "stretched one's legs" before so I basically have anyway.

While we're discussing Potter, obligatory mention that Rowling is a fucking nut that cited her own book in an argument with Piers Morgan

twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/830426421323526145?lang=en

She did BTFO frogposters on twitter though, pic related.

The entire subplot with Rita Skeeter and the Daily Prophet, and also having Vernon Dursley read the Daily Mail in the movies, was inspired by her intense hate of Tabloids, who at one point to circumvent her hiding the identity of her kids to protect their privacy, used a telescopic lens to take photo of her kids from across a river.

Holy fuck

I read them all cover to cover in a week. Consistently average and the earlier books are more enjoyable. Still, better than the films.

I read Lord of the Rings as a kid because the movie was better.

When starting a series it's always a good idea to make sure the first book stands alone, in case it flops and the publisher drops you

>implying

I read several of the books as a kid. Don't remember most of it.

Do you mean all 7?
I only read the first and quit halfway through the second.

>pic
0 class, even for her I find that disappointing

>Claims to be socially liberal
>Shaming virgins

I've read them (soon to be) 9 times. Just got to "The Goblet of Fire" again.

I'm in exactly the same boat

Why always with the meme choice.

That's CAPTAIN Ho Lee Fuk.

Well I read all 7 and they were OK.