My gas stove sucks ass

Are gas stoves a meme? My new apartment has a gas stove, but it takes fucking forever to heat up anything compared to the electric stove I used to use. I've tried every heat setting on every burner, but just boiling a simple pot of water always takes over 20 fucking minutes. I thought gas stoves were supposed to be superior, have I been duped?

Gas stoves are better for heat control, but electric is more efficient.

No, you haven't "been duped". People who actually cook prefer gas because of the control over the heat, which is crucial for so very many dishes. You can't get that precise control with electric.

There are pllnty of videos on youtube that show a direct comparison between a gas stove and a 2000W induction hob ... gas gets buttfucked every single time. I'll take 3x the speed and 99% controlability over snail speed and 100% controllability every time.

What kind of crappy fucking gas do you people have where you live?

>but electric is more efficient
Ehhh, not really.
Running gas full time vs electric and unless you're in an area that is fucked on gas pricing, or on the opposite end, fucked on electric pricing. Both will be negligible when compared to each other.

Gas takes fucking forever but holy shit does electric not heat evenly

>Running gas full time vs electric and unless you're in an area that is fucked on gas pricing, or on the opposite end, fucked on electric pricing.
Cost =/= efficiency

To you it essentially is.

What do I care about overall efficiency for the environment?

I'll go with the best option that isn't stupidly expensive. Gas fits the bill.

If gas is stupidly expensive, or your electricity is stupidly cheap, mid to high end induction cooktops are acceptable, but still not as good as a decent gas hob.

>To you it essentially is.
No, the OP asked why it took forever to boil water on gas. It's because electricity has more efficient transfer of energy into his cookware than gas.

Then it's more likely he just has a cheap gas hob.

While electric tends to be more efficient, gas tends to come in much higher BTU. I can get gas burners that put out 20-30,000 BTU. Electric tends to be 5-8,000 BTU with maybe a single burner capable of 12,000 BTU or 15,000 BTU turbo mode.

Just imagine how much of that heat produced by the powerful burners will just slip past the pot and never heat up anything than the air in your house. Which your A/C will have to cool down again if you live someplace hot. Try cooking with a 3000W induction hob before you roundly knock electric, that will be an eye opener for you.

High-power induction is an entirely different beast when it comes to speed to heat, and it is safe and cool. I used a ~$200 two-burner model for a while when I lived in a studio apartment. That being said it doesn't have anything like the control of gas.

Am I really missing out on anything, not using gas, or is it just mildly better? My food comes out pretty good unless I actively fuck something up.

I'm not Julia Child but I can't imagine my food being much better with a gas stove than it is now.

A 3,000 watt induction burner delivers 2520 Joules/second
A 3,700 watt induction burner will deliver 3108 Joules/second

A 20,000 BTU Gas hob will deliver 2403 Joules/second
A 25,000 BTU Gas hob will deliver 3003 Joules/second

And like I already said earlier
>mid to high end induction cooktops are acceptable, but still not as good as a decent gas hob.

Induction is simply less controlled, and more expensive up front cost generally.

OP, I'm in the same boat with a shitty $300 gas stove, I bought an electric induction 5th burner and it solved my problems with slow water boils. So if you have the counter space then try that.

>A 20,000 BTU Gas hob will deliver 2403 Joules/second
>A 25,000 BTU Gas hob will deliver 3003 Joules/second
So $5,000 viking/wolf ranges. OK thanks.

Or buy an electric kettle. I have one myself and never looked back. I have an electric stove and the kettle is more efficient than that, too.

>Or buy an electric kettle.
I have one of those too, but too bad it's only 2L. I use my induction to make pasta and big pot blanch green veggies. 2L of water is too small for that.

Electric kettles take ages in the US compared to europe.

120v mains vs 240v.

Here is one with 6 30,000 BTU burners.

About $1k

Oh and in case you don't want to do the math, that's about 3600 joules/second.

Yup, and you have to get special permission from you insurance company, plus they have constant on pilots (no electric start pilots) They are made for restaurants not homes.

>he has a shitty low BTU stove

Get a higher BTU stove.

One of my old kettles was a 1.87volt. But, it was also 600amps (1,122watts). Someone left it one and it boiled dry then melted. Oh, and when I say melted, I don't mean plastic, I mean the metal melted.

I live in VT and any heat loss is greatly appreciated as my house is never warmer than 55-58

That depends on your insurance company. I've never heard of that before. Mine doesn't care, in fact, they don't even step into the house. they just drive by once in a while looking for trampolines and porch railings.

>That depends on your insurance company.
It depends on the fire investigation after the fact, if they Fire department reports it was from a professional range in the kitchen then goodbye equity because your insurance will find an "out" for paying.

That's actually are really good looking stove. Looks like webstaurantstore too, I buy a lot from them.

it's not, No broiler and constant on pilot. You'd have to cap off the pilot light otherwise you'd have a large flame constantly on in your house, which would suck in the summer.

Fuck off, almost all insurance companies will insure you if you have a commercial range, you might be paying a slight premium, but it would be something like $5-10 a month over your normal rate. Nothing to write home about.

>large flame
you have no idea what a pilot light is do you?

It's not some massive flame constantly burning, that would be a massive waste of energy.

>lmost all insurance companies will insure you if you have a commercial range
what does "special permission from insurance company" mean to you retard.

You've never seen a commercial range have you?
Every commercial range in a residential home has the pilot light capped off because it is a large flame.

Sounds like you have a really shitty insurance company. Mine doesn't care that I have a blast furnace, forge, welding equipment, gas tanks, etc downstairs I use regularly.

Shit, I even have a wood stove. They don't give a fuck, so they say, since I have complete coverage of everything.

It's not special permission. It's saying, hey, I have a commercial range I it's installed according to local code. Here is who installed it, feel free to come out and inspect their work.

9 times out of 10 they'll say okay, wont even bother checking it out, and your policy will be changed to reflect the new appliance, your new cost is now X.

>9 times out of 10 they'll say okay,
so you asked permission?
Are you literally retarded?

You faggots are fighting over insurance. Get a fucking life.

I have that already though. I prefer the pilots, so long as there's a shutoff for them, though I can install a shutoff for pilots myself. I have two stoves, one with constant on pilots and one with them shut off. I use a BBQ lighter for the one that's shut off when I need it. I warm drinks and melt chocolate by setting them over the section where the pilots are.

You act as if it would be somehow different than if I were to install a $15,000 double wide capital culinarian range. Which is a consumer range. It would STILL require you to call them up and inform them you have a new stove and you need it included in your policy.

How old are you? Do you own your own home? I own 3 houses and rent out 3 apartments. Everything has electric because people are fucking stupid. Though, I could get insurance for gas, but people are fucking stupid, so I'm not daring to do that. I have gas for myself though, because I'm not stupid and electric fucking sucks for cooking.

>It would STILL require you to call them up and inform them you have a new stove and you need it included in your policy.
Kek, no you can install a new residential stove and not call your insurance company and have your policy changed.

That in isn't considered a commercial range. You actually void the warranty on it if you use it as a commercial range.

They are really covering their asses for not being a commercial range

>Blah blah blah look how mature I am
I'm 24 and I rent. Stop fighting over insurance on a Veeky Forums cooking board you stupid homunculus.

Cheap gas is generally a lot better than cheap electric.

I read the warranty on the manufacturer's site, kid.

>I rent.

And, that is why you need to stay the fuck out of this conversation.

Then you read wrong. Here are both of their limited warranties which cover ALL of their current ranges.

Both warranties specifically say at the end
>This equipment is intended for commercial use only. Warranty is void if equipment is installed in other than commercial applications

Still living with your parents huh?

You're not missing anything. Cheap gas stoves are shit, high end ones are comparable to cheap electric. I can't even bake a goddamn frozen pizza evenly in my oven without setting it to about 50° less than it should need, watching it like a hawk, and then sometimes having to microwave the pieces I do eat

For oven use, electric is much better, as it is much more consistent. For stovetop use, gas is better. Pick your poison.

>For oven use, electric is much better,
Yes, but their something to be said about baking, as gas produces vapor/steam during combustion and this helps with breads/cakes.

>Live in an apartment
>Have electrical stove
>Live in Puerto Rico
>Hurracaine BTFO the island
>Cannot cook myself for 3 months
>Have to waste money eating in restaurants/fastfoods
>Gained 10 pounds, sister gained 15 and looks like a fucking sow

Fucking e-stoves.

>high end ones are comparable to cheap electric
When you don't know anything about the topic, you should just not post. I doubt you've even used a mid-range gas stove.

Sorry you have a shitty gas stove/oven, the nice ones aren't like that, at all.

>mid-range gas stove.
Not him but what brand? I'm not installing a commercial stove nor am I spending 5,000 on a viking so what mid-range residential stoves are their?

If you'd had a gas stove your 'house' would probably have exploded.

I have a wolf, it's good.

I should really work on reducing this copper collection.

I don't use half of it.

Thor Kitchen HRG3080U

> being so poor you don't have an electric oven and a gas stove top combo.