What are you afraid of.... maybe... REALLY living?

what are you afraid of.... maybe... REALLY living?

I gave it up, about 5 days ago... and I am already feeling lighter, happier.. a new day has dawn, and I'm excited, I don't even want that shitty buzz anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

www5.csudh.edu/dearhabermas/aacultbk01.htm
thefix.com/content/cult-aa-Atlantic-Group-Clancy-Pacific-Group-London-Joys2092?page=all
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You're gonna catch aids mate

what were you typically drinking to get that shitty buzz?

i don't mind the wine or the vodka buzz, but now that i'm 30 the next day headaches are much worse and i pretty much don't get much done if i over-do it.

by... NOT destroying my life? interesting theory there buddy.

>what are you afraid of.... maybe... REALLY living?
yeah probably, what's it to you?

The rest of your post is tissue-paper thin rubbish.

>what were you typically drinking to get that shitty buzz?
some days just beers, then some throwing in some tequila, other days whiskey, always started with a beer though, and don't get my wrong, I enjoyed my buzz, but enough is enough, I felt my life spiraling down the toilet, year-after-year, losing some verve and zest for life. Enough is enough.

sounds like a good plan, the only challenge is sticking to it, which i hope you do. if you think this is what will improve your life, definitely go for it.

whiskey, teq, and beer usually produce a good starting buzz that quickly fucks you up in higher quantities.

there really is no downside to taking a break or permanently quitting alcohol. i guess the only potential downside is "social" in the sense that you won't drink at social gatherings.

in my 20's i wasted a lot of money, probably at least $10,000, on drinking at bars/clubs, and now i see how dumb and wasteful it was *for me* personally.

most people, like some fuckers on this site, will automatically mock you if you say you're going to stop.

but yes, enough is enough. hope things get better for you and that the spiral has at least stopped. you'll definitely feel a lot more energetic and mentally clear as your liver starts to heal and detoxify.

Remember to drink lots of water senpai

I'm happy you are choosing this for yourself. It's hard, but I believe in you user

I had to do a similar thing when I quit smoking, I had to enlist the help of my friends, family, and coworkers for a month or so before I felt like I didn't need nicotine anymore

Honestly the more people I told I was quitting, the better I felt about actually doing it.

Don't let anyone (even yourself) convince you to drink again, and don't let anyone judge you for stopping.

Awhile ago I stopped drinking for no reason, one of the best decisions I've ever made. Feel better, lost fat, more productive etc.

I still drink reasonably often, nearly always in social situations, but even then it's significantly less.

I gave up alcohol about a year after I turned legal, I just don't really enjoy it very much. Only down side is that people get offended or nosy when I tell them I don't drink.

>5 days without drinking
Oh wow.

>"I let my life get out of control and did something about it."
Nice job, OP. You could have also been a responsible adult and not let things get out of control.

>5 days

Good for you dude. as an al/ck/ thread poster I'm trying to cut down myself.
Being drunk all the time gets old. expensive, and comes with increased legal risks. I try not to drive when drinking, but have woken up and had to go to work a few times when I was certain I couldnt pass a breathilizer.

Not all of us lack self-discipline. If you're too stupid to control yourself, fine, but don't project onto us.

>Im 5 days sober haha my life is back on track

it's like the drunks say. one hour at a time

That's churchy bullshit from people brainwashed to thinking they are powerless to make their own fucking decisions and that GOD is the only way to stay sober. Just don't fucking drink you shits, not that hard.

>don't fucking drink
t. milk drinker

now what if, just what if. You ONLY drink like say once a week. Even if it is a bit heavy on that ONE day.

So you can like have your cake and eat it, cause you'll be seperating the drunkeness enough to recover and do work but also relax and have fun with booze.

I'm not telling you how to live your life, and I hope you recover from your addiction and I hope you live a full and happy life with lots of kids and family. But I feel doing things I enjoy in moderation does well to keep them being things that I enjoy.

I started drinking around 16, and by 22 I was already mostly over it. Played the blackout / hangover game briefly. I'm 26 now and extremely rarely drink enough to get any buzz at all. I never really cared for going out to bars much, with the rare exceptions here and there when I was single and lonely and wanted to find some easy, low quality tail.

Now I have a few whiskey gingers with rye a year, on days that are either particularly good or bad. I average maybe 2-3 beers or glasses of wine a week over the year, but even that is heavily weighted towards gatherings and holidays.

It's fun to put a few back here and there with friends if you want to get silly, or to get a heavy buzz on to take any awkwardness out of an unusual sexual encounter, but that's about it.

Marijuana (specifically sativas) offer a superior buzz with way less destructive side effects and addiction potential if you aren't a person who gets anxiety or paranoia from it. Even then, everything in moderation.

Sounds like you're assmad about AA for some reason. Fwiw, there are plenty of atheists in AA, they just choose a non-theistic higher power like the group, for instance. Hell, Bill W. said you can even have a doorknob as your higher power, he didn't give a shit.

Good for you OP. I also quit 5 days ago and will spend the rest of my life enjoying the ture pleasures in life whilst living a conservative and modest lifestyle. Will work hard on becoming a resource for my local community - bringing inspiration and hope for lost souls. 2018 shall be a good year.. a year where the pendulum begun swinging the other way. The world will only improve from this point and forth. May God bless this earth and every living entity on it.

>Hell, Bill W. said you can even have a doorknob as your higher power, he didn't give a shit.
That's fucking stupid, though. I'm not an alcoholic or anything (I really only drink a couple of drinks, and only with friends), but seriously the idea that AA isn't religious is dumb. It's doublethink.

..no wait, i quit 3 days ago.

I chose alcohol itself as my higher power... they really did not like that.

103 days sober. On my own.

I gave up alcohol the day after thanksgiving (and I was a daily bottle of vodka drinker), and the difference has been amazing. I won't say I'll never drink again, because I can't predict the future, but I'm taking it one day at a time. I feel so look fucking much better, though. I truly hope I don't fall off the wagon, I'd lose too much of myself again.

Brofist.

>idea that AA isn't religious is dumb
The only thing religious about it is the methodology is a direct application of the christian ethic. The groups themselves except for some of those located in the loony bible belt regions, are specifically non-religious and in fact can lose accredidation if they prosletyze.

you must be fucking stupid to get addicted in the first place

you must be young to understand so little and talk so big.

>specifically non-religious and in fact can lose accredidation if they prosletyze.
Yeah, explicitly they identify as non-religious, but read between the lines, they:
>Require you at least pay lip service to 'higher power' which they say can be anything but actually has certain properties according to the other steps (can help one find peace (which the addict cannot do on her own), requires humility, is benevolent)
>highly encourage you to say a prayer
>Encourage the use of slogans and thought-terminating cliches
>Use weird slang terms for people outside the group (normies, dry drunks.)

What if I believe in a God that's not abrahamic? Or what if I am a Christian but think that treating God like a talisman deity who can be predictably used worth a simple set of steps is heretical?

Well ya, not drinking is for soyboy numales and women. Men have always drank alcohol, usually something close to beer or mead. There is nothing more masculine than getting dickered with the lads after a hard day's work. Grow some hair on your chest.

Not him and not young (I'm 27, and I've known several drug abusers as friends and lovers), but getting addicted is very foolish. Maybe stupid is not the right word, but they are idiotic.

I reached a bottom where drinking yielded more problems than happiness. Read: nausea, trots and serious migraine. Layed off a few days, maybe two weeks even, slowly went back and all is well.

damn sounds like u were in a rough place

Naw it's a Christian cult that has let a bunch of narcissists get back into the lives of their families again

How does it feel to be a non-alchie normie and to want a drink? i mean is it a ferocious craving which shreds what precious morsels of hope there are remaining on your tattered soul, or is it akin to tendie-like cravings which can be shrugged off and forgotten?

How was your drinking before? Full blown alchy or light drinker?

>akin to tendie-like cravings which can be shrugged off and forgotten?
It's like this.

For reference, I'm a 420everyday degenerate most of the time, but if I stop smoking cold turkey the "craving" never gets more severe than thinking "it'd be awfully nice to smoke a little weed right now" about 6 times a day for a week or two. Then it's back to baseline.

I definitely don't envy you truly alchy doomed souls.

there is no accreditation for an AA group
you just start one

It’s always held in churches, there are bible quotes printed all over, you have to partake in rituals and are constantly nagged to consider what god could be/could mean to you. Nope, not interested.

Im on day 2. First night is always the hardest. But this time i think I can actually pull it off. After a week you usually dont really miss it. Ill have an odouls just to have the feeling of having a beer on the weekend.

>after a week you don’t miss it
HHHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHA! HA! Ha! ha, no.

Alcohol isn't an issue with me. I just need to cut back on weed. Problem is that I'm doing a lot better than most of my other friends who drink themselves to sleep almost every night so I rationalize that it's totally fine. I kinda hope I get to a point where a job just requires drug tests or I get a kid so I'm more obligated to stop smoking.

Yeah thats a bit of an overstatement but. Truth is though how much better you feel mitigates missing it.

Go say that in an al/ck/ thread

>what are you afraid of.... maybe... REALLY living?
5 days and already all high and mighty eh?

Because sobriety is fucking boring.

>what are you afraid of
They're afraid of what might happen if they stop self-medicating.

Sad, really. The denial is strong.

>on day 5

Wow I thought I was an alcoholic for just drinking on Friday/Saturday nights

This seems like a decent thread to ask. I stopped drinking 3 days ago and I was feeling dizzy, couldn't sleep, I started grinding my teeth and chewing on my cheek and my teeth felt numb (if that makes any sense). It was getting really bad so I took a single medicinal shot (I know, I know).

I drank about 9 shots (6 jiggers) of vodka a night for many years (9? Who remembers). How long till this ends? Also any tips would be helpful

There are different types of alcoholics. There's the drink every day type, the kind of sad hobo-esque morning drinker, but there is also the "once I start I can't stop" type of alcoholic, and others, I'm sure.

>Doc wants me to go to AA.
>Keeps asking me if I am keeping up going to AA.
>Tell him yes I have/am.
>Never set foot in one.
>My AA god is lying.

Jobs that drug test are either

>Jobs where if you make a mistake you destroy a $1m+ piece of equipment.
>Jobs where if you make a mistake somebody fucking dies.
>Jobs for highschoolers, shitbags, and people with chromosome disorders.

The first two only drug test for liability reasons.
The last drug tests because if you can quit smoking weed for two weeks to get hired you'll probably show up to work most of the time at least.

I've worked at all three types in the past. "Professional" industries, like tech / finance / marketing / whatever don't test because it would be a waste of time and money to do so, and if you are qualified enough and present yourself well enough to make it past the interview in the first place they don't give a fuck if you're killing lines of coke in the lobby bathroom so long as you do your job.

It's all about the bottom line in the end.

Don't let these hopeless old soaks bring you down.
5 days is great. Do another 5 now

Well, that's not true. They get funding from the national organization.

You must be in the loony fundamentalist south. I am too and that's why I addressed that as an exception. When I went to meetings in the NE there was none of that bs.

Some people benefit from AA and would literally have been dead w/o it. To be sure they have a recidivism rate that is only a little lower than quitting on your own but there are a lot of variables that haven't been accounted for, i.e. how long and hard had they been drinking. Most groups I've attended have some seriously hardcore old fucks who were drinking a quart of vodka a day for many years. The young fucks, especially the court mandated, just show up for a few weeks and piss right back off.

7. Every AA group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.

i've been to lots and lots of AA kid

also
>a quart of vodka a day
hardcore indeed

do you want a fucking coin or something? go to aa

those are withdrawals. give it a few more days

Cool. A few more days I can do. Thanks

this devolved into typical Veeky Forums bullshit.
What else did you expect?
Hang in there OP, you seem sincere.
>nb4 whatever the meme of the month is. faggots.

Not him, but the beginning is the second hardest step of the process.

Not either of you, but talk to me in a few months after several benders.

>7. Every AA group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.

>i've been to lots and lots of AA kid

Great, then you're well aware of the fact that many of the "customers" not only have ravaged livers but wallets as well. No AA group could function on the pittance pulled out of the lint ridden pockets of your average hardcore alc. Ain't gonna happen brocephus. Been there, stayed there and seen that.

Obviously not an expert, but do you have any other habits like biting your nails and/or the skin around your nails? Biting and pulling the skin off of your lips? How about fidgeting?

Asking because things like that in particular can be heavily associated with anxiety. So you may have suffered from anxiety before, or are now experiencing it as part of your withdrawal symptoms.

If it is because of withdrawal, it just takes time. Don’t feel like you have to take a shot just to quell it, because it will go away on its own. Just takes a bit of mental strength and willpower.

You might die.

Stanhope?

People who say this have never had withdrawals.

>I chose alcohol itself as my higher power... they really did not like that
you, I like you

bullshit
I went to a meeting once and they jumped down my throat the moment I mentioned I was an atheist

finally quit on my own. fuck those christfags

>5 days ago
Look I'm happy for you and agree that drinking is bad and all, but you're in no position to be preaching to others after just 5 days. Try coming back in 5 years without drinking and then share your wisdom.

>The young fucks, especially the court mandated, just show up for a few weeks and piss right back off.
It still shouldn't be involved in the justice system at all. How Americans are cool with having people attend cult meetings is beyond me.

>30 hours later
Still on the wagon OP?

>cult meetings
There is likely not a single aspect of AA that is cult like, other than it focuses on a religion.

Never even been to AA, don’t even know if I’d support it, and not a traditionally religious person, but what you’re saying is incredibly over dramatic and untrue.

This article points out some characteristics of AA that could lead to classifying it as a cult.

www5.csudh.edu/dearhabermas/aacultbk01.htm

not sure about the rhetorical technique of adding gravitas to your first sentence by admitting you have no idea what you're talking about in your second sentence. Bold.

Even AA members admit that AA is in culty territory, which causes splinter groups to actually go full cult.

thefix.com/content/cult-aa-Atlantic-Group-Clancy-Pacific-Group-London-Joys2092?page=all

>he got addicted to alcohol
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I bet you can't have one smoke or you'll get addicted too, faggot.