Going vegan, any tips Veeky Forums?

So I've been dating my girlfriend for several months now. She works at a vegan restaurant, legitimately one of the best places I've ever eaten and I've been to some pretty fucking awesome places in Los Angeles/(((New York))) and I'm convinced that going vegan can be awesome and tasty. Just got a rice cooker and I'm experimenting with more exotic spices from Asia, India and the Mediterranean so I think I'm ready to make the jump.

Any tips? Necessities for cooking Asian-themed dishes? (Extra Firm, my preference) Tofu is cheap as fuck and it absorbs spices and sauces so I'll be cooking a lot with that. Also I have a Vitamix so I'll be making my own ice creams, smoothies, soups and toppings like salsas and sauces.

>any tips

Don't go vegan.

Why not? I feel better whenever I eat at her restaurant or eat her food for a week straight. Also I don't enjoy dairy so the only thing that I'd be replacing is meat and not eating gelatin.

I know they get a bad wrap but goddamn the food is good.

Because meat and animal products are great, and you don't want to turn into a soyboy.

soy boys are a meme

You are unironically trying to become one. In the most literal sense of the word.

Don't go full vegan. Go vegetarian if you really want to though, and maybe evade soy. It's bad for you in the long term. Learn to love black beans.

You will need supplements to not become a meek beta loser nerd.

He's already a beta loser nerd if he wants to go vegan because of a girl.

Cutting animal products out of your diet because you feel better without consuming them is a pretty legitimate reason senpai

>you feel better without consuming

Placebo. That would possible only with dairy if you're lactose intolerant, or some meats if you just plain don't like them. If you unironically believe cutting ALL animal products will make you feel better, you're retard.

>It's a "my girlfriend is vegan so I'm becoming one to placate her" episode

Seitan is the only vegan thing I have eaten with an actual chew to it so probably get into that. Load up on vegan shit with natural msg. Take a multivitamin.

>significant other exposes someone to something they haven't experienced before
>adopting that thing makes you a beta cuck

That's about right

Checked

That looks great ma dood

>i eat meat
>oh, honey, no we don't eat meat
>you're right. i will now impose strict restrictions and regulations upon myself as a result of your influence
sounds like a faggot move to me sugar cube

>it's a cuck tries justifying being a cuck by pretending he's not actually a cuck episode

> and I'm convinced that going vegan can be awesome and tasty.

Stop lying to yourself.

>Go vegetarian if you really want to though

don't tell people this wtf is wrong with you

>Necessities for cooking Asian-themed dishes?

Black bean garlic sauce
Chili sauce
DIY chili oil
Wakame seaweed flakes
White and red miso paste
Sweet chili sauce
Hoisin
Rice wine vinegar
Mirin
Dried mushrooms of various kinds

> tofu
Extra firm is good, but if you freeze medium firm, thaw, then press it, baste in sauce, and bake + flip + rebaste, it works well in a burger.

Silken tofu is nice for puddings/mousses/milkshakes/etc.

Tempeh is a lot more interesting to work with, flavor and texture-wise, for things like stir fry. I often just liberally season a whole block of it and fry on medium-low with a pot lid on top to steam it while it browns, flip, douse with an acidic sauce, flip, sauce, flip, then use in a sandwich.

If you want to get more into modernist cooking techniques, check out Nondairy Evolution Cookbook and Seitan and Beyond. You'll want to get kappa carrageenan, tapioca starch, lactic acid, beetroot powder ahead of time.

Why is fp always bp?

>I'm convinced that going vegan can be awesome and tasty
I went vegan about 4 months back. It can be very tasty if done right. I feel amazing all the time and I'm BMing like a fucking rockstar. Dont let the insecure circle jerking meat heads talk you out of it. They'll call you cuck and soy boy, but they are little boy cucks of the meat industry who will never change for the better. Progress is a beautiful thing, but because of conservatives it takes time. But its inevitable. The world will always change for the better. American heritage foundation just posted a study predicting that half of America will be vegan by 2025. Its just better all around. Pic related, its my lunch. Gardein Chipotle Lime tendies are the best chicken substitute product I've found so far. Gimme Lean breakfast sausages are bad ass too. Get a tofu press. Tofu is like a sponge, if you get the water out of it, it absorbs flavor better. And try freezing your tofu, it makes the texture meatier. Thai Coconut curry and Indian lentil dishes are so fucking tasty and 100% easy to make vegan. Don't look back user. Vegan girls are fitter and their pussies taste so much better, no lie.

Vegetarian is reasonable, though. Vegan is pants on head retarded in a similar vein to evangelicals.

Its morally and ethically superior. How is it retarded?

It's retarded around the edges.

Sure, let's say we should avoid the "use or exploitation of animals as far as is possible and practicable". Let's avoid meat and dairy and leather. Fine.

But it doesn't stop there.

> Wool is the devil! Even though it's perfectly possible to have wool production that doesn't hurt the sheep.

> Don't use cosmetics that test on animals! Even though this basically means no company should be allowed to sell in countries that require it, like China, i.e., "If you want to cater to us, you have to give up the world's second largest economy!"

> Wishful thinking about animal testing in medicine - quote-mining a handful of biased academics about how it is 'unnecessary' and believing that in-vitro testing and computer modeling are 100% sufficient for medicines, like scientists are out there with rat models of Parkinsons just because they're sadist and think it's funny to see twitchy mice

> Anti-speciesism as a whole is fucking pants-on-head retarded. Sure, let's look at animal intelligence and their ability to suffer, but if you for a moment try to argue that there is no objective difference in our moral obligation toward great apes than toward sea sponges (the adults containing zero neurons whatever), you're fucking retarded

> Veganism is the answer to the climate! Which is why eating exotic fucking tropical fruit flown in on a gas-guzzling transport plane and refrigerated over-road trucks driven by gas station jerky-eating truckers is *a priori* better for the environment than, for example, farming meal-worms (cue the anti-speciesists vomiting out that it's wrong to assume we have a greater obligation toward worms than vertebrate social mammals like cows)

> Don't eat white non-organic sugar because it might have been bleached with animal bones! If you stop for one minute and consider the point of veganism in the first place, it's effectively an economic boycott in most cases. They are NOT raising cows and slaughtering them to use their bones for sugar, that's just a biproduct they're squeezing a few pennies out of. Everyone boycotting white sugar would do jack shit to stop animal agriculture, and in fact, making veganism look that stupid actively discourages people from things that actually would make a difference (i.e., not eating cows).

> (Insert vegan company here) tested on animals to get FDA approval for a new ingredient! Considering most vegans are devout utilitarians that worship Peter Singer's infanticide cock, this one is fucking hilariously stupid. Yet, Hampton Creek fed some rats their mung bean egg shit to see if the rat shits changed. This is totally the same thing as smearing lipstick in cat eyes or using a tube to force-feed ducks so they get delicious fatty liver disease. Do you realize how insane that sounds? Or how more insane it sounds, when you consider (1) that this was a one-off study and they will displace far more animal suffering by using that newly-tested product as a market alternative to eggs (think with your nominally utilitarian brain Gaia Damn-it), (2) That no amount of your boycott will undo the fact that the test happened, and (3) That the alternative is literally anyone can put whatever they want in food with essentially zero real testing (see: obliterative ignorance of scientific animal testing)

> (Insert vegan company here) was bought by a non-vegan parent company! How can you be this fucking ignorant of capitalism, the dominant economic system in which you're hopelessly entwined? "There is no ethical consumption under capitalism" has a real meaning that is directly applicable here. Look at any nominally "vegan" company acting in the market place - inevitably, their capital ends up funding animal agriculture. That's how capitalist markets work. Their building wasn't built entirely by vegans, using materials shipped in vegan trucks driven by vegans (the truck built in a factory staffed by vegans using more vegan materials shipped by vegans from mines staffed by vegans) from a lumber and upholstery factory staffed by vegans. The employee retirement plans are probably based on mutual funds that reflect the general market trend and thereby benefit indirectly from the profits of animal agriculture, and may even sometimes contain stocks of those very companies. The vegan food you buy isn't coming from a store that doesn't make most of its money on animal products while being staffed by non-vegans, unless you're a part of an incredibly tiny affluent minority that live in Portland or something.

I could go on.

>morally and ethically superior
>Oh look, an evangelical vegan sprouted from the animal manure used to grow her veg!

Don't you have some beehives to go vandalize, you lunatic?

good work lad

join the club

discord
.gg/MV5HWsk

>all these mad non-vegans who continue to suck the dick of the dairy and meat industry
i remember being a delusional idiot who got milk shits and had too much artificial sugar too

eat this cunts

long time for only that amount of gains

I don't drink milk, eat eggs or cheese or meat, wear leather or go to zoos, and I still think organism is retarded. See my above rant.

* veganism

20kg in 4years is solid

Health > Gainz

>if you freeze medium firm, thaw, then press it, baste in sauce, and bake + flip + rebaste, it works well in a burger.
That sounds tedious.

I'll just take 5 minutes to make a burger.

Decent b8

Fuck your fiber you cunt. The average person can barely tolerate 60g of fiber. BTW, I built the perfect meal day and I ain't posting it. Took me about 6 months to perfect all the food quantities with micros and macros and lipid ratios etc... GBOMBS faggit!

No woman will ever respect you and I doubt you understand why.