Got a cast-iron pan for christmas (pic related)

Got a cast-iron pan for christmas (pic related)

Alas, it has a wooden handle.

Do any of you have an idea what temperatures I can safely use this at if I put it in the oven? I'm guessing you can bring it to boiling without a problem but probably not much more than that?

lol

lol

lol

Many cast iron with wood lets you take off the handle. Try screwing off the end metal part with the hole in it.

THIS IS A SPAM BOARD WE ARE NOT HERE TO MAKE POSTS OF SUBSTANCE

You people have like 5 boards dedicated to shitposting exclusively, go to one of those

>Many cast iron with wood lets you take off the handle. Try screwing off the end metal part with the hole in it.

Oh shit, I didn't even consider that.

I'll check when I get home.

Here, though, check this text from the back of the box:

"Cast iron is ideal for use in the oven unless it is fitted with a wooden handle or a glass lid, where the plastic knob may melt"

I mean

I feel like I can be forgiven for thinking "oh man this one doesn't go in the oven."

What the fuck is the point of a cast iron pan/skillet that can't go from stovetop to oven?

This will probably trigger the fuck outta you but what do you fry and then put in the oven afterwards with the pan?

I can probably google it but I can't remember any particular example irl or on video right now.

>What the fuck is the point of a cast iron pan/skillet that can't go from stovetop to oven?

That was my thought as well! I was asking for a receipt so I could exchange it for a different one but I'm happy to learn the handles can be unscrewed on many models, I will definitely check for it on this one.

Hard sear,
finish in oven

If you reverse the order, some cuts of meat do well when baked for a long time at low temperature, after which you take them out for a quick sear on the stovetop.

>bake then sear

what is this retarded method

This seems slightly inconvenient. Doesn't the residue heat from the hard sear potentially cook it a bit much if going from stove to oven while still very hot?

This I can understand but I guess I just switch between frying pan and another type of pan.

Lower temperature.

You're not baking, you're raising the internal temperature of the meat to medium-rare levels under controlled circumstances.

A bit like sous vide except slightly warmer and a good deal quicker.

If you dont flip it its great for fish skin
if you flip it you can get that steak exactly where you want and with a nice outside

so an altosham/cold smoking

Lots of stuff, usually a sear and then veg.

When I make racks of lamb I like that I can sear them and then chuck them in the oven without having to use a different pan.

Pizza as well.

I know I wrote many models but that was just an assumption to be honest. My creuset pan does it but I have no idea if it is a common thing or just my pan.
Hope I don't disappoint you my friend.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

It makes perfect sense - they had to get the handle on somehow so it'll probably work fine.

Anyway I'll check when I'm home from work and report back.

>they had to get the handle on somehow so it'll probably work fine.

>INB4 the metal handle was riveted on after the wood was in place

Wrap the handle in two layers of wet kitchen paper and then one of foil, with that you should be fine.

I seasoned my wooden handled tawa like that up to 200c several times for 1hr. plus.

>It makes perfect sense - they had to get the handle on somehow so it'll probably work fine.
>Anyway I'll check when I'm home from work and report back.

Back.

The end definitely doesn't come off.

Oh well, I had hoped but I'll make do.