What are the prerequisites to read After Virtue?

What are the prerequisites to read After Virtue?

None really. It's a successful work in bringing Aristote back exactly because it explains him to those who otherwise would not get him.

it also explains why po-mo ethics are "wishy-washy" or context dependent without using their frenchy neologisms as well. its a great foundational book on ethics in general.

He does that in more detail with Three Rival Versions of Moral Inquiry.

haven't read that. what i mean is that virtue focuses on right action rather than a moral law. this is what delueze, foccult, and lyotard also put forward but with a bunch of neogilisms.

MacIntyre evolves in his approach and with each subsequent work adopts more from Aquinas, synthesising him with Wittgenstein, resulting in reducing all basic moral premises to tradition and a belief in what is good, where everything else comes from that. Because the following works are more systematic and historical you get a much better picture of what he's trying to do im Whose Justice Which Rationality and a critique of pomo in Rival Versions of Moral Inquiry. Dependent Rational Animals is a defense and critique of communitarian ethics by placing each human in a specific society where flourishing is not only something for the strong and important, but for everyone. Especially relevant now that nazi style eugenics have become commonplace via abortion.

ah, such a shame. had so much potential from his early work.

Virtue

Who even reads his early period aside Short History of Ethics?

a lot of people.

I don't get that impression.

that's probably because you don't hang out in left wing circles. his commentary on Marcuse is very interesting. also his critique of marx.

Marxists that I know generally don't read much and MacIntyre is not the first author to come across. He's mentioned quite often on traditionalist leaning and Catholic sites/circles a lot, but from their leftist counterparts I've never seen him mentioned.

>Marxists that I know generally don't read
nice meme. being apart of a cadre requires reading groups, so marxist read quite a lot of theory by their membership of a cadre. Macintyre is widely read as I said. perhaps your experience is limited to trad people?

Groups of marxists that are also reading cadres are not exactly something you come across very often. Our experience is different on the same group of people. The ones I know, even the ones that study philosophy and literature don't read much past their required reading. I don't know that many trads irl, here it's not widely spread yet. We get Western trends a bit later.

oh, that's strange. every marxist group on my campus has a reading group. that's where I first heard of Macintyre and where I first read Adam Smith as well.

we also have a trad group on campus but ive never been to any of their stalls.

as an aside. do you know any good trad critiques of marx btw? id be interested in something that goes beyond the state of nature meme.

We don't have as far as I know a single reading group on our campus in general. A very non-reasing country.

I don't know of any that are per se criticisms of Marx, but a number of authors adress it in varying degrees. The Servile State by Hilaire Belloc and well MacIntyre never quite stopped addressing why Marx was wrong, Three Rival Versions of Moral Inquiry and his essays Ethics and Politics.

thanks user. belloc looks interesting. also have you read marx and christianity? I get the impression McIntyre never really shook off his commitment to Marx's critique of captial, just it's moral failings in his eyes.

I've only engaged with After Virtue and works after it (7-8 thus far), but yes, MacIntyre is specific in the fact that Marx stays an influence as a critic, but only as a critic. He, in my opinion, completely rejects Marx's positive (that is constructive) ideas on anything, from his views on the classes to his account of goods.
But this isn't much of a surprise, especially in his later works, Catholic authors generally disdain various elements of capitalism as much as they disdain marxism.

Bump

> insinuating Marxists read critiques of Marx instead of autistically screeching "Just READ Marx!" any time someone levels a valid critique of Marxism

marxists dont read macintyre

Don't be an ass, we had a good discussion.

lmao i know a marxist and he stinks and is gay and is dumb

MacIntyre's historicism is pretty adaptable to Marxism desu, I got interested in him when I was already a commie

His historicism is inspired by Marx to a degree

why do you say that user?

So wait, what was the (proposed) telos?
I don't get it.

During Virtue

You forgot to mention the Pre-Virtue

It's to flourish. It's not a single thing, there are more ends which lead to virtue and, subsequently eternal or at least the good life.
End of sex is reproduction. End of reproduction is raising children. End of a relationship is marriage. And so on, the specific telos often changes depending on the culture, but it's never conflicting with the good, for example in ancient times being a man entailed being a soldier as a subcategory of man as protector of his family, now it's a less pronounced end because there's less soldiers involved in conflict (percentage wise of course).

After Birth, sometimes published as Afterbirth.

I laughed

Underrated post.

The ability to read perhaps?

Then wouldn't you need to have read Aristotle?

This can function as a preparatory text for Aristotle. Considering the chances of getting him wrong are quite high it will enhance your reading of him.

>He gets Aristotle wrong

underrated post

These two posts are also underrated

Before Virtue