I want to write a book

I want to write a book
Should I do it on my computer or on paper?

Also
Are publishers trustworthy?

you do you.

I love this board

just publish it on amazon as an ebook bro

I want money

you should write a book for the sake of it, not for money

Get a real job.

Don't tell him what he should or should not do. Are you his mom?

Why even wish to publish at all if one writes for the sake of it.

i took a course on ethics at the college so i'm likely much more prepared than his mom to give him advice on what he should or shouldn't do. but either way if do it for the money you wouldn't be able to be yourself in your book which is the most important thing to become a successful writer

Do you trust yourself to not open your browser and piss away 5 hours?

>Should I do it on my computer or on paper?
Seems like a semi-retarded question to ask. Do it however you want to.

>Are publishers trustworthy?

If you haven't written a novel yet, you're about 50 steps way out in front just thinking about this. Focus on step 1.

I definitely get more words on the page when I write free hand on paper. I forget who it was, but I started trying it again after reading an interview with someone who said they couldn't use a computer and had to write free hand because (and I'm paraphrasing), "the pen/pencil is like my antenna to God." Definitely a bit pseud but I liked the comment at the time and I tried it and it helped me put words down and focus so I've done it ever since.

Then when I'm somewhat satisfied with how far I've gone, I type it all up. Editing, re-reading, formatting, etc., is far easier on a computer.

Long story short, I believe everyone should do their rough drafts/initial work on their story with pencil/pen and paper.

But to each their own.

If every author would like would've chosen to get a job
You would have no good books right now

I mean I'm not "lazy" but it's gonna be harder to re-write it

This, I feel more distracted, and detached when I type, versus when I write on paper.

Veteran Veeky Forumsizen here,

Whether you choose to type or use paper, the most important thing you can do is get a finished first draft. That IS step one. Until you complete that, the rest of the process is irrelevant. You have to have something to work with before you can move forward. The personal reward in itself for finishing the first draft of a novel or short story is great. Stop browsing, stop procrastinating and make your idea a reality. There is nothing else you need to know. Get started.

Writing with a pen for a longer period of time gets tiring for me, and the faster I want to write the less ineligible it becomes. Also no spell check, no synonym lookup, no google - face it, typing is superior.

do you mean, write it on paper with a pen, by hand?
if so, most normal publishers won't accept it. they always expect a clean, double-spaced, edited, spelling-checked manuscript
you could send a typed version but it still has to be clean, double spaced etc and never send your only copy

Newsflash, friend, the vast majority of authors, even those behind the classics, have/had day jobs.

Write it on computer since if you were ever to publish it you would have to write it afterwards to digital format anyway. Easier to edit also.

If you can try to get a cheap laptop which has no internet connected to it or anything that you might do regularly on computer so that you cant get distracted. You will also then associate that laptop with writing and when you sit down with it your brain already knows that its time for writing and nothing else.
I atleast find it very difficult to sometimes get in to the mindset of doing any work with the computer I browse internet, play games, watch shows/movies etc. use for free time.

William Carlos Williams was a medical doctor, you barnacle.