What was with the Greeks and their grudge against people trying to be too successful...

What was with the Greeks and their grudge against people trying to be too successful? You had Icarus flying to close to the sun, and Phaethon trying to fly Helios's chariot, and Bellerophon trying to fly Orpheus to be with the Gods in Olympus. They seemed very defeatist to me, faulting those who dreamed to live like the Gods and not simply accepting their lot in life.

bump

I'm starting with the Greeks I wanna talk about the GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

Is there a definitive version of all the Greek myths not already contained in the Iliad and Odyssey?

Hehe, don't tell me you fell for the greek meme

The chinese had that as well.
It just reflects the political environment of most cultures during that time and you would understand that if you had done any reading/research into it.

Dude it's ALMOST like one major role of religions has been to get the lower classes to accept their situation in the social ladder.
Really activates my almonds.

I mean just by reading the myths it's pretty easily inferred that that was a major aspect of their culture.

western civ could learn a thing or two from them

Everything has an end point. Nothing has ever been or will ever be eternal.

Why do corporations feel inclined to push upwards forever? Simply because they can. Even Coca Cola is going to go out of business one day. It's not a failure on their part, just the way it is and always will be.

Icarus was expediting his inevitable end. Yet somehow human beings make this eternal inconsequential push an imperative. That's 'living'. When every other creature simply is.

That's the beauty of the Greeks, desu. They were exploring in depth the most defining characteristic of human life, striving, and the downfalls of the condition of being human. The animal does not care, it will never try to teach the sun, but we humans have this impulse (cause we do it for the pussy).
Anyway I have this theory that the original sin is somewhat related to this but I can't go further

Petty jealousy. Alcibiades did nothing wrong.

It just points out the dangers of overindulged pride and hubris. Nothing inherently defeatist about their cultures.

i like how iron man does a complete 180 on this myth with the whole freeze thing when they fly the suits too high.

I always saw icarus as a cautionary tale against arrogance. the sun being just a natural barrier, and not an active act of sabotage

They were very into the concept of hubris

Hesiod
you idiot

Before moderdism fucjed everything up, people were wise enough to realize that human arrogance can cause more harm than good.

Nowadays the literati are EU supporting pseuds who think they're helping things as they rapidly destroy humanity.

This is what Taleb is all about and why he's worth reading despite being a douche

Reminder that Daedalus was the one who actually built the wings, and he got off scott free. Icarus was a retarded kid who thought flying into the sun with a wax flying machine was a good idea.

If the morale of the story was supposed to be that human ingenuity was bad, daedalus wouldn't have existed and Icarus would have been motivated to build the wings for a more petty reason.

Not positive, but I think Hamilton is the definitive mythology compendium nowadays. Or was for a while, anyway. She definitely usurped Bullfinch.

>morale

because you're(we're) all a bunch of ass holes you fucking idiot.

are you fucking kidding?

>what is hubris?: the post

hubris was lowering yourself to the state of womanhood by being the receptive partner in anal sex and liking it. it's a legal term.