Chef knife vs Santoku

Which one do you prefer?

Other urls found in this thread:

chefknivestogo.com/shak1gr1.html
chefknivestogo.com/beston500.html
chefknivestogo.com/taku21wa.html
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DOH32MO/ref=pd_aw_lpo_79_tr_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=42PM3JNP2R03KK36MD19
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Santokus are trash. Chef knife all the way.

I haven't used my santoku in years. They're really not worth a fuck unless you're chopping veggies, but in that case I prefer to use my cleaver anyhow because it just works better.

They're good if you have a small work surface. Granted, I would typically be more concerned about improving my work space in that situation, but I still have one from when I was working on a line that had a cold holding table with a narrow board as it's main prep area.

>cleaver
which one?

Im so used to a chefs knife I cant even use a Santoku properly. Not sure why I would want to learn, even.

i don't have a santoku but i do use an usuba for veg prep.

For me, its both

I only have a santoku, the previous tenant left it behind in my apartment so I never bothered buying a chef knife

Where to get decent usuba for less than $150?

Between the two in your image, the gyuto obviously. But sometimes the difference is less clear cut than the anti-santoku spergs like to admit.
>I just learned about knife types and I need to tell everyone I'm totally not a santoku pleb
Cool, here's your validation
There is no decent usuba for less than $150. You might be thinking of a nakiri, they're often confused despite being radically different tools.

In a smaller home kitchen you'd be retarded if you were regularly using a 240MM+ Gyuto or similar.

Sub 210mm Santoku or Gyuto is really going to be the best for MOST people.

A pro chef of course should have a wider range of tools to use, but a home chef? No need for such a large blade in most situations.

Its hard to compare, i like my chefs knife better, but its also a better knife from a better company. I use my santoku for chopping potatos and veggies, but thays about all, my chef knife sees far more use and is objectively nore versatile

>is objectively nore versatile
If it's objectively better, explain why.

Not better, but more versatile, a chef knife has better slicing capabilities, can function as a chopper, and can be put into roles other knives fill more easily.
A kiritsuke is closer to a chefs knife than a santoku, a santoku isnt a bad knife, i just dont see the role it fills where a chefs knife, nakiri or cleaver wouldnt outperform it. Its fine as a tool, but as your main knife?id say its not the best choice

I just dont see what a chef knife does a santoku can't.

Santoku are better for those without a lot of experience. The straighter edge is a lot more intuitive if you don't intend to improve your knife skills to the next level.

plenty of chef knives have little or no curve

desu your knife knowledge leaves something to be desired

I have gone through a few modes of knife in my time
Started off with some globals and wursties that I nicked from employers and learned to sharpen on mugs and were what I used when beginning to cook
Then I got a niwaki blue 2 gyuto that seemed to be a goddamn revelation; took and held an edge like all fuck and allowed the sorts of cuts that would normally require mandolines and reduced the prep times of anything cutting related, plus light as fuck, and looked cool as fuck
Then I ended up getting a kiritsuke in white1 and it worked very well for the fish/garnish I was working on at the time, but was a right pain in the arse for service or crazy prep
Which led me to try an old CCK a chef had given me to prep stock with; covered in rust and cheaper than any other knife in the kitchen, but it could be brought to a stupid sharp level in a matter of seconds and blew through everything I threw at it; from butterflying delicate fish to herb chiffonades to stock and meat and everything in between
But it's a little tiring after 14h straight chopping, so I tried something else; a moritaka santoku, which when used well and sharpened properly seems to handle most small jobs

stabbing people?

been using chef knife with onions lately

Santokus do it all. Just get a few cheap knives and learn to sharpen.

>learn to sharpen
>auto sharpener

please don't be real

What are the pros and cons of a Western chef's knife vs a Gyuto?

I know how to sharpen with stones like none of you stupid cunts. It ends up costing you your wrists after about 20 blades. The rotary sharpener is what people in the first world use because they can. The jewelers rouge still creates a razor edge.

Not that you idoits would know anything about it. You're all steel dilettantes.

Why not a Chinese cleaver?

this isn't real

Yeah, cause you're a fucking moron who doesn't know how to edge steel. Do you want me to do an educational video. or just tell you? The Rockwell hardness scale generally tells you how to sharpen your steel. It's either very malleable or very hard, that's how you know how to sharpen your edge and tear off the burr.

Do you want me to continue for you fucking dolts?

rotary sharpeners take off like .005" or more per use in my experience, great way to ruin a knife slowly

If you have good knives, use whetstones. If you have 3 dollar knives use a fucking rotary sharpener.

I wouldn't piss on named knives anymore. There's not point and no need to waste the time. I've stood at the sink sharpening knives for too many hours to give a shit anymore.

who gives a shit though? look how many spergs buy $150 wusthof ikons or miyabis or whatever without ever sharpening them because "that's for the experts"

better to, as you put it, "ruin" a knife slowly than have a perma-dull knife. I mean what were you planning to do, wait for them to die and then harvest their immaculate knives?

>look how many spergs buy $150 wusthof ikons or miyabis or whatever without ever sharpening them because "that's for the experts"
Or they spend $10-20 and get it professionally sharpened by someone who does that as their job instead of wasting their own time sharpening by hand, or worse, ruining their blade slowly by using shit rotary sharpeners.

>professionally sharpened
>$10
If you think they're doing a better job than a chef's choice machine would do at home, you're delusional

Lol, they're the only japanese knife shop in Washington DC, they hand sharpen on water stones. They're also the only shop in the area that offers single bevel sharpening.

the minimum price is more than $10 and that's for a fucking paring knife

you're the gwyneth paltrow of knife enthusiasts, knowledgeable enough to name drop DC sharp, but too fucking stupid to even sharpen a paring knife on your own

I could maybe understand it if you had a warped yanagi and felt that was beyond your skill set but jesus christ man, you're an embarrassment

Why has every professional chef's knives I've seen has some level of cringy sharpening shit wrong with it? Even on unicorns tier custom kitchen knives. It makes me sad. Learn to sharpen, especially the basics of apexing and burr removal.

t. /k/

Gyuto

Best of both worlds.

I freely admit to knowing nothing about sharpening knives like pros. I'm using the Spyderco sharpener for my knives, which is a $40 Ginsu set from Amazon. Works well enough for me.

I think probably because cooking knives are primarily purchased for the purpose of cutting food. So someone finds something that works, like a chef's choice electric sharpener and a hanging strop, and they run with it, because to them it's about getting the job done. Whereas the /k/ mentality is to jack off over your "gear" day in and day out and argue for hours and hours over whether 5.7mm has more "stopping power" than .40 or if bench made is better than ESEE for stabbing zombies. Because let's face it you're not getting a lot of practice figuring out if your convex grind is wedging a lot in zombie skulls. It's all hypothetical.

For the record I'm not a professional cook, and I tend to lean towards the "caring too much about gear" side of the fence in that I've got more stones than I need, and more knives than I need. But I eventually realized it was kinda dumb, and stopped amassing gear.

>knowledgeable enough to name drop DC sharp, but too fucking stupid to even sharpen a paring knife on your own
Again, it's not about being too stupid, I COULD hand sharpen it myself and spend hours of my life refining my hand sharpening skills, but why? I make enough where $10-20 every 6 months is nothing. I'm a home chef, I work in IT. My main knife gets daily use. Instead of ruining it with a rotary sharpener or similar, or spending hours of my life practicing hand sharpening, I can pay the fee and continue on with my life. I drop my knife off, pick it up a day or two later. Done.

Does anyone else look at themselves in the mirror while holding a knife?
It instantly makes you feel badass.

>I make enough where $10-20 every 6 months is nothing.
and yet an hour to drop off a knife at the knife store is definitely worth it, and then the hour to go back and pick it up. On top of not having access to the knife unless you do the while-u-wait service which probably costs $50 extra.

yeah that's totally worth extending the useful service life of a paring knife so you won't have to spend on a new one for 25 years instead of 15 years. wow, you are such a wealthy patrician and clearly have your priorities straight.

>an hour
They have two locations you can drop it off at, and it takes me like 15-20 minutes at most, and if i'm dropping by union market anyway, I generally can get some other shopping done.

ok, so 40 minutes for the round trip, times 2 for the trip to pick it up when it's done. all to save a tiny amount of extra wear and tear on the blade.

whatever works for you. I think you're dumb.

That's okay, I think you're low income scum and mad at yourself which is why you lash out at others.

is that really going to be your argument? you're "high income" so you can afford to waste hours going to the knife shop so your knife doesn't wear out fast?

even if you earn minimum wage the time you waste going to and from the knife store is worth more than the knife itself by the time you've owned that thing for a few years

the only conclusion I can draw is that you're a NEET

>Traveling anywhere to pick up product is a waste of time and money, so don't do it
Makes me think

The kitchens I've worked at have an electric grinder or use a service that regularly comes in and replaces all the chefs knives with newly sharpened ones.

I preferred having our in in house electric grinder. I'd normally start my day off grinding it down to a nice sharp edge. Professional services just use electric grinders too.

I'm not autistic enough to use whet stones or whatever you weaboos are talking about to preserve your ninja knifes

it's not "to pick up a product" though. it's something you specifically rationalize as a means of saving money and time. except that even if I try to come up with cases that stretch credulity in your favor, there is no plausible scenario where taking your knife to DC sharp makes more sense than either using a chef's choice, or learning to freehand, or just buying a new knife all the time and throwing out the dull one

the best you could do was "lol ur poor" which, again, strains credulity considering you're a work-from-home IT helpdesk employee

>7 limes
>cilantro
>avocado
>whole grain brown rice
>not wasting money on random shit

Chef's knife for sure. For veggies and fruits though I have a Shun Naikiri.

Careful with that projection, buddy

I'm still stuck in the amassing gear phase desu. Please send help ;__;

ok so we’re on projetion now. next is which one? cuck? reddit?

Santokus are good for mincing past a brunoise, but I find little use for them otherwise. If you can't get to an even brunoise with a good sharp chef's knife, it's a skill issue.

gwen paltrow is a big-time hollywood shitlib jewess, so of course she's going to use verbal and photographic gymnastics to "prove" her point that poor people don't get enough gibsmedat zogbucks to live.

here's a suggestion to poor people: maybe you shouldn't have 2-4 kids if you're struggling to put food on the table and need handouts from the gov't.

>spend hours of my life refining my hand sharpening skills
I cook and sharpen all of my knives themselves, because I started collecting knives long before I took up ccooking as a hobbby. Cooking basically was my excuse to cut up shit with sharp blades. I dont do my own sharpening to save money or because a pro service could do it better (which is unlikely, frankly), I sharpen my knives because it is fun. Seriously, you should try it. It is a very relaxing, zen-like occupation. It is very rewarding too when youu realize you are cooking with a knife you have sharpened yourself and will never have to depend on anybody else again for that. That is what I would hate most about having my knives sharpened, having to depend on others for keeping my tools in proper working order.

I know that feel user. It helped me to ponder the fact that I am now 43 years old and will never ever be able to use up all my knives in my collcetion as it is during my remaining lifetime (I have bunch of cheaper ones, too, they are not shown in the pic)

That's a lot of knives. Are they all that unique to you? If you had a different type of knife for every knife that would be one thing, but most seem like the same type from different manufacturers.

I just bought one of these... how do I use it?

It seems too fragile to take a beating like my wusthofs

That is a petty knife with a 6'' blade or so, right? they arent meant to take beatings anyway, they are used for more delicate stuff like decorating fruit and veggies or fileting fish or chicken. Bascially for stuff where they barely make contact with the board.

I'm fairly new to chefs knives, I'm more /out/ and /k/. I have a ton of folders and outdoors fixed blades, but no chefs knives. Why do the vast majority of your chef knives have an integral bolster? Is it a point of balance and weight distribution thing, or is it a non-functional sign of manufacture quality? Have you tried a Robert herder paring knife?

Yes, I collect pretty scpecific things, they are all chef's knives. That is what is used for 95% of kitchen work though. All pettys or parers or bread knives, now that would have been useless.

Make sure you never cut on plastic or hardwood. Treat it like a Japanese knife with a western handle (which it basically is).

Yes, thank you!

Thanks!

>a non-functional sign of manufacture quality
Mostly this, because lore says "you know a good knife by its bolster" which dates back to the day when top tier knives were indeed all drop forged from a chunk of steel which was the only practical way to get an integral bolster back then. Nowadays even top end knives from WÜsthof and other manufacturers are stamped from a huge band of rolled steel, and the bolster is formed by induction heating just that part and squishing it together. It does serve some purpose because it proteccts your fingers to a small degree and it also strengthens the heel of the knife so you can use it to chop through chicken bones and stuff. But those advantages are not really worth the hassle when it coes to sharpening them. More and more Euro knife makers are abandoning the bolster for that reason (see the two Wüsthof Le Cordon Bleus in my collection and the F. Dick ActiveCut). It also saves money of course because you can omit all the production steps of heating, squishing, drop forging and shaping the bolster part of course.

Do yall use your nice knives are work?

Thanks user! Funny you mention the Wüsthof Le Cordon Bleu, I handled one not too long ago for a repair and hand sharpening job. What do you think of that knife? Also what stones do you typically use to sharpen on? What's your grit progression?

Do you think he folds his towels 1000 times?

How many times would he fold his urine stream?

I really like the LCB, I think it may be the best knife Wüsthof makes. Mine are flawlessly assembled and ground, too. I have the 23cm version and one of the last 26cm versions they made, those are now out of production.

I dont really know the grits of my whetstones, most of them are pretty old and are not labeled. But for a knife with Euro/german steel higher than 1000 grit makes little sense because that is already as fine as the internal structure of the steel. I also dont use grit progression in the classical sense because I tend to just give my knives a few strokes on a fine stone fairly frequently to always keep them sharp. No rough stone is needed then. I do have some wax paste for buffing tools smeared on a small board made from balsa wood that I use for deburring though, that works pretty well.

>how do i use a knife
Stick in your throat since you're a fucking retard.

Ah okay! I did note how well balanced the knife felt. Also the handle indexes well and the blade aligns naturally in hand. Overall it had a floating feel in hand, and even during sharpening.

I usually use a cheap 1000 grit diamond plate for most of my sharpening. I can get a shaving sharp edge off it consistently and easily. I find diamond plates to produce a nice balance between pushcutting ability and slicing aggression. I'm going to be upgrading my sharpening equipment to a set of spyderco ceramic benchstones. I'm quite impressed by their ceramic, since playing with a set of their fine ceramic sharpening rods. Im curious if I could go hair whittling off their ultra fine ceramic. I wouldn't be surprised, I almost got there on the fine ceramic rods.

they're about the same

can always count on knife threads to bring out the weebs, autists, and weeb autists
everyone I just replied to

you know what knife threads on Veeky Forums are always like, dont you?

is this a good deal? Amazon and others seem to have this knife for $85-100

Never heard of the brand, and VG-10 is nothing to write home about, especially for that price. VG-10 is made or unmade by the heat treat, you dont know how much effort the chinks have invested there. You can get a proven, name brand Tojiro DP for that price, also with Sandwich VG-10 steel.

According to reviews i've seen online they've been around for a few years and they seem to be competitively priced.

They used to do a 33 layer Damascus VG-10 that a few reviewers considered a step below a Shun but above the level of the Henckels Four-Star 8-inch. Considering the 67 layer is newer, and getting reviewed well as well, I can only assume it's similar quality, and well worth $65.

I mostly use a santoku, but most of what I chop is onions and peppers. My kitchen is fucking tiny too.

LOL angry drunk luthier guy again

I just bought a Gyuto, it'll be here in a couple hours, I'm pretty excited.

I've only used low quality, already dull, generic stainless steel knives my entire life. I plan to cook so fucking much that requires a lot of vegetable prep.

This guy here, this was the single most enjoyable experience I've ever had with a knife. It's comfortable as fuck, it's super thin and light but cuts through tomatoes and onions with the weight of the knife alone, paper thin slices. Damn, it was fucking worth the money.

I've never heard anyone buy a good knife and go "oh man I wish I had got a cheaper knife"

just got a 2k naniwa green brick, but it isn't cutting enough metal as I'd like. I'm gonna add a lower grit to start on, but I'm torn between these two:

chefknivestogo.com/shak1gr1.html

chefknivestogo.com/beston500.html

which one would be a better bevel-setter that compliments my green brick?

First post best post. An idiot parts with money quickly.

What is it?

chefknivestogo.com/taku21wa.html

A decent priced Aogami 2 gyuto, I tried to find a similarly priced one with a similarly thin profile but with an octagonal handle and I had no luck. The ONLY complaint I have is the aesthetics of the handle (But it is really comfortable.)

Cordon Bleu still has a thickened metal end which transitions to the handle, so leaving out the bolster doesn't save them manufacturing steps.

With automated production it really doesn't matter much for cost. They spend more on marketing than manufacture.

Two days ago I ordered jck 210mm blue moon wa handle Gyuto. Not expecting a laZer but for a hundred bucks I think it will be great. I like the idea of blue 2 clad Stainless. The finish of the cladding looked cool too. I’m more concerned about the steel than anything so I was willing to skimp on the handle a bit. It will be my first Jknife. Rocked a 10” wusthaf. Gave it to my sis as a wedding present. Been using fabreware 8” since then. (Actually impressed with it.. for 35 bucks it has a hollow grind so it doesn’t beat shit up and I have been sharpening forever so keeping it sharp is no problem). I used to be the designated sharpener in my kit (ex, no longer in the industry) kitchen so I’m excited what I can do with it. Ferrule is meh, but like I said the steel is what I’m concerned with. It’s double beveled and abi handled. I’ll take a big step up when I fork out.

What's a good, cheap knife to learn how to sharpen on.

>inb4 any Walmart knife -- I need a name and model number

Does that also have the soul of the young farm hand the blade was plunged into to quench the temper? I need soul facts, otherwise I wouldn't piss on high carbon steel.

A bevel needs to be set only once if the knife is regularly sharpened on a fine stone, so frankly I'd go with the cheapest stone you can find. King stones are known for being a bit soft but cutting very quickly.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DOH32MO/ref=pd_aw_lpo_79_tr_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=42PM3JNP2R03KK36MD19

This o e has a red handle. If you don’t like that the exact knife is offered in black. Just gotta dig a bit. I found that in 2 clicks.

Literally any cheap knife is fine. They are actually better than expensive knives because they are usually thicker and therefore have a wider bevel. This really lets you see if you are hitting the angle correctly if you are using the Sharpie marker method. Ask your mom or friends or relative if they would like to get rid of an old knife, maybe you can even get your practice priece for free.

Try a diamond plate for cutting. They're nice because they're relatively maintenance free. No flattening issues or soaking needed, splash and go! I've heard good hints about the beston 500. How are you finding the green brick of joy? Are you on cliff stamp forum?

Kek

Hey how similar is a gyuto to a Western-style chef's knife? I know a gyuto doesn't have a bolster but the blades look super similar, do they feel similar to handle?