>age
>location
>current book you're reading and how do you like it

>22
>Washington D.C.
>The Sea is My Brother-Kerouac

Actually really like this. Big fan of On the Road and Big Sur so I was interested in this "lost novel." It was a pretty early work so I didn't expect it to be great. It's not on the level of his other stuff, but better than expected, and interesting to see a sort of beginning level of his style.

>age
>location
Pakistan
Gulag Archipelago. It's just my type of lit.

Also I forgot to add; I love stories set at sea/on ships etc. If any recommendations let me know, though I have read Moby Dick

ny
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

It was enjoyable, but so very dated. Painful the way that Twain espoused industrialism and that late-19th century ideal of "progress". He attacks monarchism and the Church more than anything else; it reads like it was written closer to Martin Luther's time than it was to ours.

It's also very tame. No toeing the line (as humorists since Shakespeare have been known for) in social mores or politics. Just a triumphal proclamation that the US is the best and most rational country there's ever been.

I can recommend it as a period piece, but that's about it.

>26
>Brooklyn NY, the mafia part not the hipster part
>Guermantes Way, finished SW and WBG before it, I love it, Proust is the GOAT

>23
>DC
>The Cruise of the Snark by Jack London

I've read only that lepuracy short story by him before, so I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this novel. But I gotta say, it's rather enjoyable and engaging. London's voice is pretty strong and consistent. He seems like such a lad, desu. It reads like I'm sitting at a bar with London and listening to him recall his time on the Snark.

I recommend The Cruise of the Snark, friend. It takes place almost entirely on sea. It's quite the comfy read.

Same city and same taste haha. Will definitely check that out. I remember liking London back in high school.

Italy
The Noonday Demon

Sort of enjoying it, despite it doesn't really mirror my experience with depression.

>20
>upstate NY
>Crime and punishment. I really like the book so far, but I really love everything I've read of Dosto so far.

Long Island
The Black Swan, very useful.

>germany
>just read warm bodies today (started today finished about an hour ago)
>starting to re-read american psycho
I liked both of them

>20
>L O N D O N
>Ulysses

I don't understand a lot of it, but it's surprisingly funny for such a "serious" book. The bit when the MC is wandering round Dublin trying to find some place to take a shit while he keeps getting interrupted by random people is hilarious.

>20
>Morocco
>the interpretation of dreams
Freud's writing is really comfy, feels like I'm reading short mystery stories

I think you are really missing the point of ACYiKAC.

>23
>TN
>...isms: Understanding Art by Stephen Little

Just read through the first section on Renaissance. Very light and accessible, which is exactly what I wanted. I'm never going to be as literate in visual art as I am with literature and film, but this at least gives me a basic introduction to the broadest trends within the medium.

Aarhus
VALIS
Dick was crazy, but in the best way possible. This work is so far of the rails and I'm loving every part of it.

UK
3 Maccabess, it's very entertaining

>20
>Chicago
>Slaughter-House-Five
It's pretty good desu. It's genuinely hilarious and the only book to actually make me laugh out loud. Vonnegut was a funny dude.

>age
>location
Leeds
Fahrenheit 451 - enjoying it so far

>starting to re-read american psycho
is that book any good or is simply gore and violence? like, does it have interesting deep characters?

>29
>yeast yourop
>Equal Rites

Great book tebehe, Pratchett finally got a handle on the world, created 2 great characters and does fantasy better than a lot of more serious writers.

depends. it's a lot of rambling, like pomo books usually are, I guess. pretty gorey, a lot gorey in some chapters. it's a pretty quick read, fun, but really goes downhill in the last couple chapters.
and no, it doesn't have deep characters. in fact, it goes out of it's way to keep the characters as shallow as possible, since they're all insufferable trust fund yuppie fuckbois by design.

>20
>USA
>Game of Thrones

never read the books or watched the show until now. it's okay, I've been having a hard time focusing on all the names and characters and shit, but i've been enjoying the read. i'll probably only watch the show to see how the characters look onscreen

You enjoy Pratchett?

I'm into sci-fi but not read a lot of fantasy fiction. Considered getting into Discworld though.

Belgium
Poor people by Dostojevski - Enjoying it so far; also feeling the dread of Russian literature come to me

>23
>Austria
>The Art of Hergé, pt. 2

Not what I read usually, but it's a strangely exciting to dissect things I enjoyed as a kid. Also not the type of book that's aimed at here, but still strictly speaking a "book".

Bongland (rip big bong)
Stoner - John Edward Williams
Up to chapter 8, I am wondering of Stoner's setbacks and obstacles will ease up or take him completely. Can't imagine why or how he fell in love and married Edith. In a word, interesting.

>>age
>>location
Germany
>>current book you're reading and how do you like it
Gulag Archipelago, only 100 pages in and so far it has been meh, might also be the fault of the translation since I'm reading the german version but I think it'll get better

>24
>bongland
>Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance
You guys said it was a meme but I'm actually enjoying it, he has a good background in philosophy and its surprisingly comfy. I thought it would be new age shit but it's alright.

>26
>Illinois
>the sun also rises

It's making me regret not taking time to travel before settling into a career that doesn't offer much vacation time. The descriptions of locale is treated with such a familiarity that you kinda feel like you're there, though. Jake and Bill's fishing trip is such a comfy reading experience.

>The girl brought in a big bowl of hot vegetable soup and the wine. We had fried trout afterward and some sort of a stew and a big bowl full of wild strawberries. We did not lose money on the wine, and the girl was shy but nice about bringing it. The old woman looked in once and counted the empty bottles. After supper we went up-stairs and smoked and read in bed to keep warm. Once in the night I woke and heard the wind blowing. It felt good to be warm and in bed.

>22
>US
>Death on Credit
>Celine... easy on the ellipses...
Now I know why it's called Death on Credit. And I didn't need Celine to autistically title drop it in the middle of the book. It's a bit more difficult to be "in" to the book than in Journey but it's still enjoyable but a lot slower. Also that straight-shota scene was hot af

>20
>Netherlands
>Acts of the Apostles

>24
>california
>Ada

Amazing, it's the discreet incestuous romance with my cute sister i never knew i wanted. Nabokov's one of the few writers where I actually read for the prose.

>29
>New York, NY
>Metamorphosis & Other Stories by F. Kafka, and The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.

Kafka is of course excellent. This is a reread from younger years and he ages well. Helps that I'm a single, lonely lawyer just like he was. His meditations, especially Bachelor's Ill Luck, really sting.

THWATF is OK. You cannot enjoy it fully if you aren't a die-hard Jungian. But it is enlightening, Jungian or not.

Faggot

>23
>T E X A S, USA
>Archetypes and the collective unconscious

I remember a while back Kafka's story The Stoker made me cry. The Metamorphosis was close but at the time I was still in good standing with my family so it didn't seem as immediate. No book or story has really elicited a similar emotional response since

>22
>Canada
>For Whom The Bell Tolls

I really like it so far, I'm only 100 pages in but the atmosphere is super comfy, the romance is nice, and Pablo's wife is a really great character

Thanks for sharing. I will read The Stoker after work.

>18
>RI (on the way to ME)
>The Recognitions
holy shit it's amazing. I read Carpenter's Gothic and Jr before this, so it's especially great to see Gaddis' more coherent prose taking the main stage. The prose is extremely comfy, like Mishima and Hesse. Will likely surpass Infinite Jest to become my favorite

>23
>Pennsylvania
>The Guermantes Way

The beginning of this volume is just as enchanting and meditative as the first two. Proust's beauty is beyond words.

Hello, fellow Proustian.

>I've been having a hard time focusing on all the names and characters and shit

out of curiosity, do you mostly read literary fiction? i find that people who don't read speculative fiction cannot into worldbuilding and keeping track of names.

>25
>LA county
>John C. van Dyke's The Desert

it's cool, somehow both painterly and scientific, and has some of that old-timey benevolent racism

>21
>Chicago
>Sartre's Being and Nothingness

It's a complete mindfuck. It takes me about an hour to read 10-15 pages. I never really read philosopical works before this. That's probably where I dun goofed desu senpai

>19
>Canada
>England's Dreaming

Its definitely the best music history book I've ever read, but having read several other books about the time period and events I disagree with Savage at certain times. Still a great book though if you're interested in the subject matter.

>21
>US
>The Culture of Critique

I'm enjoying it so far. It's very interesting to see how a foreign culture has managed to hijack our country (media/finance/politics/academia) and use it against us. From the far-left (communism), to the center-left (straight-up multiculturalism), and to the center-right (neoconservatism). They're allowed to be supremacists all they like, while others have to stay in their place. Looking forward to reading the rest of it.

Utah
Atlas Shrugged

One of the best books I have ever read. In the top 5 to be sure

Imho it's better than Hitchhiker's which kind of ran out of steam by the 5th book. You kind of need to be acquainted with fantasy tropes, cliches and characters to enjoy it to its fullest extent. I just loved the riffs on Robert E. Howard with the Cohen the Barbarian character, who is an arthritis-riddled toothless chainsmoking Conan.

>25
>Chicago
>trying to read Celine's North and houellebecq's elementary particles, but I have no energy before or after work
Suh dudes

>23
>Vancouver, B.C.
>pic related, halfway through and I'm fucking loving it. I've already ordered The Schrödinger's Cat Trilogy and I'm excited to read it.

Singapore
Grapes of Wrath

It's pretty dope. Been on an American literature binge recently, finishing Moby Dick, east of Eden and a couple of Arthur Miller plays.

>22
>Germany
> The Picture of Dorian Gray and I have to say it´s absolute marvelous!

>22
>Australia
>The Enchanted Wanderer

Not really far enough in to have an opinion. Hoping it's good though.

>18
>Austria
>Crime and Punishment

Enjoyed it up until the murder, really started to fall off after it though. Glad I sticked with it though, the part where he's dreaming and meets Swidrigailow after is amazing and now I'm enjoying it again. Probably doesn't help that I'm reading it via pdf at work.

Hello fellow Pakifag.

Pakistan
Brave New World

This post it satire, right? Or are New Yorkers actually this stupid?

I can keep track of names just fine in books where the characters aren't a mess of indistinguishable fantasy tropes.

>18
>New Zealand
>The Rise and Fall of Classical Athens, Josiah Ober

Don't think I've ever been so interested in a history book in my life. Everything from the methodology to the subject matter is fascinating

>>age
>>location
finland
>>current book you're reading and how do you like it
breakfast of champions. it's okay, pretty funny at times. vonneguts drawings suck for the most part tho.

Australia
The Road to Wigan Pier and The Penguin Book of Japanese Verse

Both are aight.

26, UK, Flowers for Algernon

Enjoyable seeing him get smarter as the story progresses although I'm not really interested in the bits where he's discovering sexuality.

Gogol, diary of a madman, I lack the patience and the resolve but not the enthusiasm to plow through his whole oeuvre as I was planning on, I feel like a pleb for admitting to such failings but it's the truth, the two Ivan's was 10/10 and worth every second tho, would recommend.

>18
>Italy
>Thus spoke Zarathustra
I'm 1/2 in and I like it a lot but at some point is to enigmatic.

Do you read it in italian?

>32
>Worst Korea
>Dispatches by Michael Herr

I'd probably find Herr insufferable if I met him back then, and the feeling would be mutual, but I suspect this book has had a tremendous effect on the modern popular consciousness of the Vietnam War.

It's deliberately enigmatic to mock the bible.

You want to cyber, OP?

>21
>atlanta, ga
>le rouge et le noir

im only like 50 pages in but i really like the characters, theyre all sort of sleazy but honest at the same time

stick with it, the epilogue is maybe my favorite part

new york (america)
american gods

easy read, with some good lines, nothing to be excited about tho

shu bruh

Taiwan
On the Road: The Original Scroll
It's all right. I sometimes am embarrassed by Kerouac's writing style because the few times I get mad enough to write it sort of sounds like that, and I know how tortured and shameful it is to make that kind of writing. The sincerity of it is what is keeping me reading, along with the fact that it is the only book in English I had any interest in the bookstores of Taipei. I am on the road myself, as I am originally from the United States and am bound for Hong Kong shortly. I figured now was a good time for Kerouac. I bought the first draft edition by accident, so I hope it doesn't affect my experience of it too much. I also picked up Inherent Vice in Chinese to study from, but I need more resources to start that project.
Have you read The Dharma Bums? I am very interested in Buddhism, but am afraid Kerouac was engaging in the beatnik westernized stuff.

denmark
bertrand russel - a history of western philosophy

>17
nothing personal kid

>22
>Scotland
>The Drawing of the Dark, Tim Powers
I always like weary "too old for this shit" protagonists and even grew attached to the side characters but they killed them off far too abruptly, even Mothertongue. Could have had a bit better character arcs/resolutions IMO.

I havent read Dharma Bums yet, but its on my shelf so im going to get to it after reading some Thomas Wolfe.

>21
>New York
>Dark age Ahead - Jane Jacobs

It's alright, but very scattered. She wrote it right before she died, and, sadly, it shows. I largely agree with her main points, but she spirals off into rambling at about the halfway point in each chapter.

Tempted to try and rewrite her concept with proper structure, desu

Brazil
Thousand and One Nights

Is one of the coolest things ever. I didnt know why I didnt read this before. Tho I must say I read more than one thing at the time, but if I should choose one who needs a shoutout, it would be this one right now.

>18
>Michigan
>The Sheep Look Up

>21
>Detroit
>Brothers K.

> 26
> Ontario,Canada
> Moby Dick
I'm loving it! I've laughed, I've cried, and I can't wait to see what else Melville has to offer!