There's some guys on /b/ telling me that rice cookers are the greatest thing ever made

There's some guys on /b/ telling me that rice cookers are the greatest thing ever made.

Is it worth it to buy an $80 ceramic pot or am I losing my mind?

Other urls found in this thread:

japaneseruleof7.com/how-to-make-rice/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why would you ask b though

Just buy a skillet and fry the rice like a real asian

It's very easy if you make alot of japanese-style rice. it comes out perfect and slightly more sticky with much less effort

It's just rice man. You only need a regular pot and 10 minutes to pilaf that fucker up.

you can get one for $20. it's a must have for any kitchen imo.

>much less effort
How is ti any less effort. Either way you're putting rice intoa bowl/pot and adding water. If watching a clock is ""effort"" then I think I can manage without a unitasker taking up valuable bench space.

If you're planning on eating rice every single day for the rest of your life then yes, they're worth it. Otherwise rice is too easy to cook on a regular pot to bother with an unitasker

well, if the timer goes off and you are on computer and forget then rice burns up. If you have a rice cooker then you forget about it and it shuts off.

That's it? Well, fuck. I better go out and buy my a car that brakes by itself in case I'm texting.
Thanks!

A rice cooker is a one-tasker.

So like all other one-taskers, the real question is: Are you doing this a lot? Don't buy a one-tasker for something you only do rarely.

One way to turn a rice-cooker into a multi-purpose tool is to instead get an electric pressure cooker - slightly more expensive, far more uses.

They working on those actually

(Me)
I don't mean to sound so argumentative but if someone's going to insist that a rice cooker is a must-have accessory simply because it can turn itself off then, sorry. It needs to do more than that. More than what I can do with a pot on the stove.
Plus, although I don't have one, I'm pretty sure that modern stoves can turn off the heat with a timer.
NO DEAL

Yeah, I know and the cyclist in me is happy but the driver in me can't stand the thought of being a passenger in the driver's seat.

there are people in the world who benefit more from attention-saving kitchen appliances than you. no one is trying to justify rice cookers to all people.

Don't have to watch it. Comes out perfect every time. Can steam veggies at the same time. It's not a must have but it is convenient

Why don't they just make a stove with separate timers on each heating element that shuts off at end of timer? Like microwave

Fair enough. Maybe when I'm much, much older I'll reconsider.

Understood.

They don't? I thought it would be a feature on modern stoves. Did I just invent something™?

they make devices for alzhiemers and dementia people, but not for millennials

I microwave my rice

It just werks (TM)

It's been the subject of several Japanese government studies, and it's well-quantified not only that they cook better rice but why they cook better rice.

As a sometimes thing feeding large groups, you can get away with using a pressure cooker. But as a young single or couple you won't be cooking enough rice for it to be efficient or to avoid scorching, and if anything you're better off making pressure cooker recipes in a rice cooker (which it's completely capable of doing). And if you feed large groups rice regularly, it'll almost definitely be alongside some sort of stew or soup, so you'll want a separate cooker anyway.

It's just a convenient tool. If you don't have money to spend don't buy it. Stick with your saucepan or a frying pan.

wtf is all this crap about pressure cookers? they have nothing to do with rice

>anything you're better off making pressure cooker recipes in a rice cooker (which it's completely capable of doing)
what

Just get an instantpot. Much more versatility.

Because the pressure cooker does what the rice cooker does for rice, does a lot of other things, and takes up about the same amount of space.

If you make a lot of rice then buy one, they are only $20 what's the big deal?

I used to live in Japan (in the 90's before weebs were a thing) and most households over there use rice cookers.

Every asian I know uses a rice cooker.

Every Asian I know is a rice cooker.

A rice cooker like OP's talking about, a Zojirushi or National or Tiger or Cuckoo or one of the Chinese knockoffs thereof, is essentially a small- to mid-capacity pressure cooker with a more uniform heating element. The uniform heat and the particular PSI they're dialed into they have is why they make better rice than you can get out of a pot or even a generic pressure cooker.
Midrange features focus on specific timed cooking modes so you can fill and set in the morning and have a variety of different cooked rices ready when you get home, but those don't take away from being able to manually set it.

It's only the portions of the high end that unitask, with things like incorporated activated charcoal filters that would scrub out seasonings if you tried to make something else. But other high end cookers do things like being the only consumer electronics with an ultrasonic cavitator, which makes them really nice for preparing other starches for frying.

The $20 ones are just cheap hotplates sized to only take a really shitty included pan, and will reliably produce worse rice than doing it on the stove. Gotta get up to at least $60ish.

japaneseruleof7.com/how-to-make-rice/