Ayn Rand

Let's say I want to get into Ayn Rand.

The thing is that her two novels are really really long and I'm not sure I can be fucked to read them.

Should I pick up one of her later, non-fiction works? They're much shorter.

What would you recommend, Veeky Forums? What should I start with? What's a good introduction to Ayn Rand?

google it queer

Sorry I know she has three novels, but I mean the two most famous ones.

I'm asking for your fucking advice you cocksucking cunt

Why does Ayn Rand anger normies so much?

fountainhead isnt that long is it?

Why was Ayn Rand so popular?

Most people don't really care
People who dislike generally think she's a shit writer with shit politics

Feelgood philosophy that appeals to the average burger written at a high school level (at best)

753 pages which is pretty long.

What's the best introduction to Ayn Rand? Should I pick up one of her shorter non-fiction works? Or maybe a short summary book of Ayn Rand? Or would these be pale substitutes?

Because she teaches you personal responsibility, and she teaches you to strive in life. Pic related.

Faggot detected. The only people who don't like Rand are faggot leftists.

i mean ngl her views were pretty nutty

I admit her books are pretty well written and she is a decent storywriter but thats it, she wasnt a master philosopher

i recommend starting with Anthem or We The Living and if you like it move onto the Fountainhead then Atlas Shrugged

People actually believe this shit?

no, its just another false flag

If you're so interested read The Fountainhead, don't be a lazy faggot.

In summary, the philosophy is criticized because it denounces other postures without being rigorous.
On the political/economic side, she promotes anarcho-capitalism and self-interest, this obviously angers a lot of people.
Other than that, her prose isn't anything special.

Nutty how? Ethical egoism is a good position I think, it's logical.

Alright thanks, they look shorter, especially Anthem, so yeah I might start with that. Do you think they're comprehensive introductions to her philosophy? Or do I really need to read the big novels to get that?

What's wrong with it exactly?

No mate.

Fair. I just want to know what the whole fuss is about, because obviously her fans love her. And I reckon it might inspire me to do something with my life.

>"its logical"
> L O G I C A L

Read "Anthem". If you don't like it, you won't like the novels.

all of her books will give you a pretty good insight into the cores of her philosophy, the shorter books are just easier to start off with because they'll get you used to her writing style and you'll know if you'll enjoy it enough to read the bigger books

Explain to me how ethical egoism isn't THE most logical philosophy there has ever been.

>lol just be nice to others bro
Literally fucking why?

Alright I might start with that since someone else said it too, and it looks very short which is good. Thanks bro.

Makes sense. Thanks.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

t. Transformers' screenwriter

AH ABSOLUTELY EPIC BRO, YOU'RE TOTALLY RIGHT WE SHOULD ALL JUST LIKE TOTALLY GET ALONG INSTEAD

SERVING YOUR OWN INTERESTS IS OBVIOUSLY SO WRONG MAN, WHY DON'T YOU COME AND FUCK MY WIFE? THAT'S OBVIOUSLY THE REAL MORAL WAY TO LIVE

wrote catwoman.
>opinion descarted.

It's completely detached from reality. No ones gonna stop me! Really? No ones going to stop you from what? Making a Flappy of War app, working out in the gym, getting a slightly higher position in your soul killing job? It's beyond stupid.

How is it beyond stupid? Also if your job is soul killing then why don't you get a new one, or better yet, start your own business, or become self-employed?

That's what it means, take control of your own destiny.

The only people that I've come across who are legitimately angry at Ayn Rand's philosophy are leftists. Because they think it's "immoral" to only care for yourself. They think "oh it's mean, it's not very nice! In fact I'm going to call you a """sociopath""" because I'm jealous of your drive to succeed!"

Pathetic.

Nothing wrong with strength or ambition. Again, though, "No one is going to stop me!" Why would anyone stop you? What are you even doing? It reeks of a juvenile power fantasy. If it means something to you than just tell me to piss off, but I really can't imagine many situations where you're going big pain, big gain in our post-industrial society. And many of people hate Ayn Rand because she was payed off by the US government to write Atlas Shrugged, and many say that it's an awful bit of sociology (I can't say, I've never read it). That doesn't mean you are some "Tankie".
>Why don't you just quit your job?
Lol

the fountainhead

>Again, though, "No one is going to stop me!" Why would anyone stop you? What are you even doing? It reeks of a juvenile power fantasy. If it means something to you than just tell me to piss off, but I really can't imagine many situations where you're going big pain, big gain in our post-industrial society.
Starting a business? Becoming self-employed? Starting a project? Going for a promotion? Starting a new hobby, pastime, sport, etc.? Taking a trip?

So is your excuse for never aspiring to things the fact that we live in a "post-industrial society"? You think that means that you just have to sit in a cubicle and shut up all your life?

OP you're clearly reading to reinforce your own ideology

Don't do that

Anthem is easy reading. I don't like 1st person narratives, but some people might. It's an interesting story, plain writing.

We The Living is my favorite story. Rand, whether you agree with her ideas or not, is still a decent storyteller. We The Living has some vivid characters, and compared to Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead, the characters are relatable and realistic.

The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are immense stories, but the characters can be tough to root for or feel emotion for - as they're too damn one dimensional and as Rand admits, vehicles for her philosophies.

tl;dr

Try We The Living.

I started with "Anthem", which can be read in one sitting. After that I moved on to The Fountainhead. It might be long but it's incredibly easy to read, and I usually have difficulty reading longer novels. Just go for it.

Because she was right.

Different books deal with different sections of her philosophy. Atlas Shrugged deals with the political side, whereas The Fountainhead is more her philosophy in actual life.

> currently reading the virtue of selfishness

This book is good to understand her "philosophy" without having to waste your time on her fictions or other non-fictions.

She is an influential writer, yet Ayn Rand is a terrible writer that dabbles with tautologies. Be warned.

Reddddddddd
Itttttttt

This

oh no not tautologies

i went straight into Atlas Shrugged and I'll never read any of her work again, fuckn trash writer, fuckn trash 'feelosophy'

I don't much care for her politics and the whole Objectivism package, but I enjoy her novels for their refusal to entertain any cynicism about human ability and existence.

This is me for the most part.

Wrong. Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead are two of my favorite books, but I thought Anthem was utter shit.

Just read Stirner, Nietzsche, and maybe some libertarian literature.
Like that china guy from 500BC.

>Right-wing philosophers

>that quote
what the fuck is this facebook tier shit
get out of my board