Joyce is the cancer

Joyce is the cancer
Beckett is the answer

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ok7Vc3jczNg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

based

Anyone who thinks Post-Modernism is degeneracy and Modernism was more respectful to Western Civilization needs to read Beckett

Challenge accepted, which book?

Start with his plays:
Krapp's Last Tape -> Happy Days -> Endgame -> Waiting for Godot -> Not I

If you dig it then read the trilogy

hahaha this. Although it is hotly debated whether Beckett is a modernist or a post-modernist.

Why not both?

Not every question has just one answer.

!

Becket is to Joyce as DFW is to Pynchon.

I can't tell if you're shitposting or a moron. Those are among the most try hard things I've ever read.

My guess is Joyce is over your head, too difficult to get through, so you hide behind this phony.

Fuck DFW and Pynchon.

All you cunts: read Beckett and Joyce.

>tryhard
An interesting and valid criticism. Clearly you are an authority on these matters.

Godot is an okay read but it really has to be seen for the full effect

>tfw there is finally a Beckett thread
Oh this is a happy day!

Of course - it's a fucking script. Christ on a bike.

>tryhard
>dude comparing Joyce to Pinecone

Joyce = BRAP posters

Beckett = intelligent, nihilistic with a wicket sense of humour Chad posters

Its more like Joyce is both of those, Beckett is Bane posters

He has a very similar issue as DFW. All the symbols are empty and clang annoyingly—which is what happens when you fake it.

In fact, the difference is simply the mysticism that lives in Pyncho-Joycean symbols—which Beckett & DFW's boring automata don't have.

No reason not to read Beckett if you've run out of quality things to read or need to see this gar—I mean Krapp for yourself.

No idea what any of you are on about - both are great, read em both, you have time for both.

You fucking people.

Beckett posters are like your MoMA uncle dabbling in poetry at the Hudson Valley Writers Club.

What a load of hot air

>using the Bloom face
>to complain about comparing Joyce to Pinecone
>not knowing Bloom himself does this

I love Veeky Forums

You are talking absolute fucking horseshit.

This isn't the fucking New Yorker, how about using some reference points us average Joes can get without googling

Beckett and Joyce are both great. They also knew were friends and admired each others work (albeit Joyce only read Murphy due to being dead post 1941).

Also watch this performance of Endgame. Gambon is amazing. I'm obsessed.

youtube.com/watch?v=ok7Vc3jczNg

>Magee version is best Krapp btw

Bloom is a fucking pseud meme but he has a funny face

There's literally no such thing as an empty symbol, at that point its just a thing. Christ think before you vomit your opinions on others

Care to back that up? Expand a bit?

Beckett and DFW's symbolism transcends simple references? Any examples?

I thought we were all incredibly cultured here

why not all of them? i like all four of them, some less than others, but they're all fantastic authors.

>point any out
>haha that didn't fulfill my vague undefinable criteria!

Kindly get fucked

How many of you cunts are Yanks.

>putting Joyce-Beckett in the same sentence as that bandana wearing cunt and the one novel man

We've no time for middle brows, its go big or go home

>the one novel man
pynch? yeah, i can see that, if you haven't read any of his literature.

>debated
>or just read his writings
twinkling irishman in universal french
come at me third policeman

>hooked a yank

So literal. Maybe Beckett is for autistic people, I don't know.

Limp symbols—that work better? Lame symbols? Useless ordering of symbols? Symbols that lead nowhere?

>using literature as a synonym for books

This is some class act

>not the superior at swim
you disappoint me.

Yes expressions which actually signify anything would be preferable friend

Our good authors are still alive lmao

>implying pynchon isn't a first rate poet
it's almost like you want to commit the most plebeian faux pas in every post

For like five more years

>good
>doesn't write 'great' because they don't have any

Absolute state of yank culture.

A man reacting to tapes of himself talking falls flat on its face.

Humans as accessories to inanimate objects is much more interesting.

Speaking of which, anyone else notice McCarthy borrowing the Rachel fucking her car scene in V. for The Counselor?

>Humans as accessories to inanimate objects is much more interesting.

Durr if ya say so I guess thats that

Idk 'Madame Psychosis' signified something, but no one is going to argue that symbolism went anywhere. See what I mean?

'borrowing'
is that the new term for plagiarism?

And they're all in their fucking 80s to boot, its sad to see someone mock another country for the same disease their own culture is dying of

>A man reacting to tapes of himself talking falls flat on its face

What remains of all that misery? A girl in a shabby green coat on a railway station platform.

'Good' because y'all don't even have good ones, let alone great. I guesssss you could argue McEwan. Idk famalam, just trying to be inclusive.

>dying
Dead. Never seen a country more dead.

i don't think i've ever read a good british novel. and don't say sterne. the guy was born in ireland, so he doesn't count. i recall O'brien slamming the shit out of british literature. he was right.

Idk it's pretty bad, right?

Yeah lmao it really is that bad. Beckett truly is a hack.

>McEwan
Awful. Not denying we don't have any decent one nowadays. But we had the greatest writers in the English language. Our language. British culture is dead now. Butchered. With carrion men groaning for burial. American 'culture' was part of what ruined it.

>tfw the greatest ever yank poet ditched America and became a British citizen and even used a British accent

>phony
in what way is beckett a "phony"

I have heard a lot of stupid shit on Veeky Forums. this might be the stupidest.

I think the big problem here is to get Beckett you have to understand harsh emotions and human spirit while reading Joyce (who I still love) you can just fall back on autistic literary games and pretend you're a deep reader

>muh Orwell
>muh Dickens
>muh Defoe
>muh Brontes
>muh Tolkien
>muh Carrol
>muh Austen
>muh Burgess
>muh Eliot

You must mean you had the greatest play-write.

Ireland had the best authors, followed by good old USA.

Have fun at the theatre, twinks. Ha-ha. Twinks.

>But we had the greatest writers in the English language.

You had Shakespeare and Milton but lets not get ahead of ourselves

there are beckett threads weekly

id say they were a bit more than admirers of one another- beckett wrote finnegans wake and joyce tried to get him to marry his retarded sister

kingsley wasnt so bad

>denigrating the Bard
>not mentioning the English dominance of poetry
>'Ireland had the best authors' Possibly but Murica certainly didnt

Absolute state of the Yanks.

You get Orwell.

Forced emotions or missing emotions? What do you mean harsh?

Joyce is incredibly moving, Beckett is not. Or what, what am I missing?

>joyce tried to get him to marry his retarded sister
Absolute state of you.

>Joyce is incredibly moving

I don't disagree, but I'd like you to reference that, what moved you in Joyce?

>the greatest writers in the English language.
>You had Shakespeare and Milton

Thank you for proving my point.

>not reading pynch
Wew, it's worth your time, it really is

>Beckett isn't moving
Read his short story 'First Love'

Not him but Kinch the wandering Aengus is incredibly moving.

'Mother's deathbed. Candle. The sheeted mirror. Who brought me into this world lies there, bronzelidded, under few cheap flowers. Liliata rutilantium.

I wept alone.'

Also Bloom thinking of his father and son.

'They have no mercy on that here or infanticide. Refuse christian burial. They used to drive a stake of wood through his heart in the grave. As if it wasn't broken already. Yet sometimes they repent too late. Found in the riverbed clutching rushes. '

And at the end of Circe when Rudy appears before Bloom and is symbolised as the sacrificial lamb after all that madness in the brothel.

Incredibly moving. Just like Beckett is.

Mate, this is exactly it. Veeky Forums thinking these American authors even scratch the accomplishments of Joyce and Beckett is laughable.

Since when does that mean a fucking thing in literature?

Its quite sweet really. They can't help but try to compete with the British Isles.

PLAY-WRITE

>
i dont put pynch or dfw on beckett/joyce level... but i do put melville and faulkner at least in the same conversation

*Northern European Archipelego

Then keep your conversations to yourself.

And then Farage appears, and all pride in British culture goes down the shitter.

Same thing.
>are you a salty Irishman?

ISN'T IT FUNNY

yeah the ending of circe really hit me also

Melville may get a passing mention but Faulkner rode the coattails of Joyce.

>passing mention

Dude there would be no Ulysses without Moby Dick

VIRAG: (Agueshaken, profuse yellow spawn foaming over his bony epileptic lips.) She sold lovephiltres, whitewax, orangeflower. Panther, the Roman centurion, polluted her with his genitories. (He sticks out a flickering phosphorescent scorpion tongue, his hand on his fork.) Messiah! He burst her tympanum. (With gibbering baboon’s cries he jerks his hips in the cynical spasm.) Hik! Hek! Hak! Hok! Huk! Kok! Kuk!

Pretty electrifying

>Dude there would be no Ulysses without Moby Dick
Post proof. From all I've read of Joyce (biographies, influences, personal library) there is not one single mention of Moby Dick or Melville.

Osmosis, subconscious absorption

I've been fucking around here, but I'm with you - really can think of no way that lineage holds up.

Point out one part of Ulysses that was fundamentally in debt to Melville.

>pynchon
>one novel
His quality is actually pretty consistent. More consistent than Joyce's if you ignore Slow Learner.

>rode the coattails of Joyce
Not even.

Pynchon can grab at JAAJ—DFW is basically the 21st century's Beckett. Same dumb fanboy type nonsense around both too.

My God you guys are awful looking fuckers.

Why Ulysses?

I personally don't think this user will be able to find anything in Joyce's whole thang relating to Melville, but I was just wondering.

>My God you guys are awful looking fuckers

Consistency isn't the point. Joyce has trajectory as an artist, and accomplishment more than most artists in any field.

Pynchon ends up writing Bleeding Edge.

I know the meme is inbreeding, but seriously, what went so wrong?

'Dude there would be no Ulysses without Moby Dick'

Pay attention.

No idea. Maybe ask the Hollywood execs who are shipping in British actors like it's nobody's business.

And Joyce wrote Finnegans Wake. What's wrong with Bleeding Edge exactly?

I hold both of their missions to reify modern life to the status of classical epic to be a shared quest, though I will pass that whaling while banal and industrial is hardly as domestic the idea of using a stupid half minded beast as the central driving element is very inline with Joyce's fixations on pathological investigating into the seeming arbitrariness of modern life and economy.
A section that rings out to me is the parrelels between creating a scene out of the sermons in Melville's Nantucket and Joyce's own sermon. Both men had a strange bitter yet adoring relationship to the Church

Christ, this comment answers itself.

Pics?

No argument guy sure doesn't have any arguments.