Knife sharpeners

Will using something like pic related ruin my nice new Wüstof chef’s knife?

Honestly yeah. Get a proper whetstone and a cheap knife and practice sharpening. Its a pain at first but worth it in the end.

Thanks user. Whetstone rather than a steel? Can you explain why?

A honing steel like pic related? They don't sharpen, they just realign slight bends in the blade that come about from use. I say whetstone just because they are generally relatively large and easy to work with as they sit stably on a surface, plus I've had good results from them personally.

I got one of those, made by Wusthof and used it on a Wusthof. It wasn't that great. Whetstone is the way to go.

Just to add: I bought a taidea whetstone and a cheap ass Brazilian stone because I was curious. Now I sharpen knifes as a hobby

These work pretty good desu. Just watch out for the darker colored variety

On my good knives. I take them to a professional.
On everything else I use a sharpening and polishing stone myself

I'm a shit cook but I do know plenty on blade sharpening. Every sharpener in this style is an absolute scam. The tungsten/carbide ones are hideous. Bench stones are the best and last a long time. Get a good variety of grits to make the task faster. Use strokes that run the length of the blade to keep the edge even. You may need a little extra attention at the heel (closest to the handle) and tip, since they are the end of the strokes. Work only one side at a time, and change to finer grits after both sides are done.

dont use it on nice knives

>Will using something like pic related ruin my nice new Wüstof chef’s knife?
Yes, those things are meant for $5 knives in industrial kitchens.

hey user
i have a question regarding whetstones. Would you say a 400/2000 coarsness is good enough for a beginner?

not the guy you asked but yes its good enough. 400/1000 would be plenty fine enough for Euro/German steel too.

Large dia-sharp and a holder. Can't go wrong.

>I take them to a professional.

Micro burrs allow you to cut tomato a lot easier than razor polished knives.

nah m8 you'll be fine, keeps your shit nice and sharp!

You use the stone to put the angle on and the steel to touch it up

A burr is something very different than a toothy aggressive edge achieved on a coarse stone. A burr is always bad and must be get rid of, no matter how aggressive your edge is.

i think he meant micro bevel. i mean he had to right?

Thanks user. That’s what I’ll do.

alright faggots, you actually made me spend money on this meme. thanks i guess

this is what I decided on after some research. I hope I didn't fuck up or anything

>i mean he had to right
he probably meant the apex (of the bevel), not the actual burr. Other user: the burr consists of tiny steel shavings that havent completely detached from the edge after the stone scraped them off.

If you've got particularly high end hard steels, you're better off taking it to a professional. Unless you've spent $200+ acquiring a good progression of waterstones.

Try sharpening a ZDP-189 blade with an HRC of 66 by hand with ONLY a 1000 grit stone.

King is good brand. They are known to be a bit on the soft side, that means they work quickly but they also dish quickly if you keep using the same spot over and over. Draw a grid pattern on the stone after a few uses, then rub the stone on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface. Where the pattern is worn away the stone "protrudes", sharpen your knife more on those areas. Also use little downforce and keep the anngle when sharpening "edge leading", otherwise the blade can cut into the stone, which is not good for either.

alright man thanks for the advice
i also ordered this nagura stone which i understand to prevent the actual whetstone from concaving and keeping it level, the grid tip is gold though

what i don't understand is what you mean with edge leading.. do you mean that the angle at which the blade is held should be close to or even smaller than 10°?