Over 80% of Aristotle's works have not survived

>Over 80% of Aristotle's works have not survived.
>80% fucking percent.

WHAT CAN I SAY? BULLSHIT IS BIODEGRADABLE.

Recreate them, user.

You are the chosen one

what was it, the burning of the Library of Alexandria?

>80% fucking percent
>eighty percent fucking percent

80% of aristotle's shit probably sucked, if you read augustine you get the feeling a lot of antique shit was actually pretty trashy

WOWEE 20% SURVIVED THANK GOSH!! WE HAVE BEEN BLESSED TO HAVE THIS MUCH ARISTOTLE. WOOHOO!

In other words, since Aristotle was literally wrong about everything and literally benighted Western civilization with his falsifiable ideas for over an Eon, then it is a glad circumstance that the remainder of his work is lost - for had it not been so, then we might uselessly ponder over same irrelevant historical curiosities which again have no meaningful bearing on reality, exactly because they are false.

Aristotle is literally one of the worst things to have happened to Western civilisation, /inside/ western civilization. And it is no sort of defense of Aristotle to say that he was /foundational/ of western civilization, because that is precisely the problem.

Seven plays from Aeschylus, seven from Sophocles, nineteen from Euripides, my lady! You should no more grieve for the rest than for a buckle lost from your first shoe, or for your lesson book which will be lost when you are old. We shed as we pick up, like travellers who must carry everything in their arms, and what we let fall will be picked up by those behind. The procession is very long and life is very short. We die on the march. But there is nothing outside the march so nothing can be lost to it. The missing plays of Sophocles will turn up piece by piece, or be written again in another language. Ancient cures for diseases will reveal themselves once more. Mathematical discoveries glimpsed and lost to view will have their time again. You do not suppose, my lady, that if all of Archimedes had been hiding in the great library of Alexandria, we would be at a loss for a corkscrew?

lol

this sounds gay lol

Start with the Gays, I mean, the Greeks

Maybe he corrected himself in that 80%. You're right though that the Aristotle we inherited has ruined the West.

How do we know it was 80%? Exactly 80%? Seems like someone just pulled that out of their ass. Measuring the unknown is impossible.

Over 80% of the evidence for the number has been lost

>Homer's Margites
>Livy's 107 books on the history of Rome
>4 major works from Euclid
>2 major works from Archimedes
>10+ works from Julius Caesar
>NO TEXTS from Pythagoras
>NO BOOKS from Chrysippus who wrote 700
>Memoirs of Lord Byron
>John Milton lost works

>the 800 page manuscript Thomas Pynchon lost at sea

Maybe it's based on works referenced by other writers. Although maybe Aristotle had some works so shitty that nobody ever mentioned them, but it's doubtful since people would've mentioned them just to make fun of him.

Good, they're a fucking joke like everything he wrote, like everything Plato wrote, like everything ever written.

who cares

>Hemingway's stolen suitcase with ALL his works up until 1922.

I think you mean Socrates.

There wasn't a singular burning of the library that destroyed it. It gradually fell into disrepair and was damaged and looted several times.

Really?

I didn't even know about most of these but now I am sad.

We know their names.

>the novel Houellebecq accidentally locked in his car

>socrates didn't bother to write shit and now we have to believe plato about almost everything related to him

Can't he just break the window?

>hey guys I'm from reddit

Callisthenes account of Alexander's expedition has been lost
Lost plays of Aeschylus
Lost plays of Agathon. None of them survive.
Kafka destroyed most of his work

>Over 80% of Aristotle's works have not survived.
>50 years from now the rest is discovered
>it's just him lambasting the 20% that did survive.
>absolutely destroying it
>every pseudo-intellectual on the entire planet scrambles to back-peddle
>people are panicking in the streets
>professors are crying on live television
>mfw

Xenophon wrote about Socrates as well

Neither will YOU survive OP. Think about it.

>Kafka destroyed most of his work
Really? I thought he asked them to be destroyed upon his death but they didn't.
I know most of his work is unfinished.

Other scholars, authors and ancient historians have referenced the works in their own texts.

For example the Iliad and Odyssey are only two epics in a eight work cycle. So we have lost six of these epics, but we have ancient sources which discuss them so we know a little about them despite having lost them.

>all but 2 of those missing 6 works are just derivatives of the major works of the Iliad and the Odyssey, and those 2 works pale in comparison to the major works
Suddenly I don't feel so bad anymore. Theogony, Iliad, and the Odyssey... not bad for the preservation of Ancient Greece.

>80% fucking percent.
havent seen this one before
anyways, aristotle was a hack

I would commiserate but none of you faggots read Aristotle anyway, let alone all of what (apparently little) survives. Why cry about what's lost when you don't even seek out what we still have?

He was a hack anyway, who gives a fuck.

Because Veeky Forums is made up of a bunch of posers. They're Instagram whores who take selfies in front of their bookshelves to give off a sense of intellectualism that does not exist.

>semi-obscure literature discussed on Veeky Forums on a daily basis
>but nobody could possibly have read the greeks

The erotic suras of the Koran muhammads goat ate

I read the Nicomachean Ethics like 3 years ago

and now Veeky Forums considers Aristotle a hack. What the actual fuck is this about

>90% of Kant's works were sucked into a black hole

A third of his works were treatises on zoology, so you probably wouldn't have appreciated them, hummanities brainlet that you are.

no

That is bullshit

I know of a few lit users besides myself who have read all of Plato (3-4 that I've talked with directly). I know absolutely nobody who has read all of Aristotle.

Which isn't to say that nobody reads Aristotle; just that it seems silly to complain that there isn't more tonread when people haven't read what they have available already.

People in here criticizing the brilliance of a genius from over 2,000 years ago
>knowing nothing you do in your life will ever be remembered
>not even your greatest achievement will be remembered in 2,000 years from now

This sounds interesting, care to elaborate?

>inb4 user's great critique of western civilization got never posted

>greek philosopher concerned with being qua being
>DUDE, THIS ASSHOLE DIDUN KNOW MODERN PHYSICS HAHAHAHAHA

You idiot are talking about Aquinas interpretation and the christian perspective Western culture inherited. I hate it too, but at least I care to read Aristotle.

I mean, it surely was harder to live believing planets made some harmonic noise than believing in european/white supremacy.

>such 'muh progress'

aristotle was one of the greatest thinkers to ever live and you are all faggot 20 year olds living on your parents dime

There is literally nothing wrong with Aquinas' perspective of Aristotelian physics and his commentary of it is remarkably free of Christian biases.

fpbp

most underratedest post in all of creation

What's the joke?

houellebecq's too houellebecq to brecq a window

list one (1) thing you gleaned, whether directly or indirectly, from Aristotle

lol

Ugh. I just want to titty fuck them jubblies

I read Aristotle. Won't pretend to understand much, but I do read it.

Derivative knowledge.

The timeline would be completely different had those works survived

How do we know how much of these works didn't make it? Who's been keeping inventory all this time?

i can confirm, i have copies of all the "missing" manusdripts. don't tell anyone though

We still have hope, only a small portion of the Villa of Papyri has been excavated so far, bringing us works by hitherto unknown ancient philosophers

plato>aristotle
refute this

Many authors made references to such works. Some even put little quotations.
Either they are lying or these works actualy existed.

Plato pretty much trumps all Greek work, before and after, no one will refute that.

>The procession is very long and life is very short.
this is what hedonists believe

homer is the only greek shit that matters, and a couple plays, all the greek philosophy is stupid and a waste of time