I'm planning to shun internet and electronic stuff from my life during a week...

I'm planning to shun internet and electronic stuff from my life during a week, because I think I'm slowly getting mentally ill.
During this time just want to have contact with books.
Recommend me at least 2 books perfect for this experience.
Please post very powerful books able to make me stop to think about what I'm doing with my life, something that could change a person.
I need enlightenment.

the book of mormon and doctrine & covenants

Every time

Easy
Meditations by Aurelias (or seneca/epictetus)
Walden by Thoreau

Maybe some Knut Hamsun for nonfic

>for nonfic
Or fic rather

Also I'm doing the same thing op
Except I failed which is why I'm here now

>Overall
Bible
>Political science ( if you want to get your head working on how society works )
Thomas Hobbes Leviathan
Nicolau Maquiavel The Prince
>Fiction
Misery by Stephen King
Lolita by Vladimir Nobokov

Please do not mention the name of onomatopoeia-using St*phen K*ng on this board ever again.

You can always go back to not being here, user. It's not like you've lost the struggle and it doesn't even matter anymore because it's too late to do anything.

How the fuck could you put Stephen King with those other monumental works

Stephen King is cancer, but Misery is a masterpiece, specially if you are a writer

HUE HUE HUE HUE HUE HUE HUE HUE

the books are a distraction the same way the internet is
you'll have an easier time reflecting without them

@9932517
you ain't getting (you)s outta me retard

St. Augustine's Confessions
Siddhartha
The Brothers Karamazov and/or Demons

Came here specifically to recommend Walden, as this fine person has.

fiction*

You're the only retard here, mate.

I thought TBK would be the book to read during this time, but it'd be my first Dostoyevski work, and I heard it has plenty of bible references.

Did this last winter desu, absolutely carry on with it.

I read Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, Seneca On the Shortness of Life, and Epictetus' Discourses and Selected Writings

Good luck!

dialogues of the cynics

what

Richard Henry Dana's Two Years before the Mast. Journal of an ill mid 19th c college student whose doctor advises him to go to sea for his health. Becomes a crew member of a fur trading merchantmen, rounds Cape Horn twice, and documents his view of the California Coast twenty years before the building up of LA and San Francisco. One of my favorite American books.

>a week

Holyshit. People today are hopeless

Well if you'd like to try a book series that has no electricity let alone computers or internet, I can shill you something. Also addresses some social issues and has some naughty parts. As for changing you, I can't quite see it going that far unless it awakens an interest in survivalism or firearms or something. I've been told the books get better as you get further along, the first is only a dollar even though it's also the longest in the series.

The Republic and the Prince

The Complete Works of Sigmund Freud

Meditations by Marcus Aurelias
Confessions by St. Augustine

if you don't understand a reference (and they're all quite basic and on the nose), you can just skip over it with no harm done. the symbolism doesn't get in the way of the narrative at all. people who haven't read TBK prop it up as this daunting intellectual masterwork, but in reality, it's one of the most human and accessible books i've ever read. use the ignat avsey translation, for lord's sake.

anyway, i'd recommend:
>plato's five dialogues + republic
>st. augustine's confessions
>TBK
>maybe something cozy, like the lord of the rings or whatever floats your boat

So most of these suggestions Pretty much ignore what you want. Stephen King isn't going to enlighten anyone.
So maybe delve into philosophy a bit. A basic go to is thus spoke zurathustra. Nietzche can get the job done. A portrait of the artist as a young man is also a nice one for this. Good luck bro. You'll make it.

Psalms
The Imitation of Christ
Apophthegmata Patrum

damn a whole WEEK user?
what a display of willpower

came here specifically to recommend Walden, just as these fine guys did

You should definitely read the biblical book of Job. An user recommended it to me on this board like a week ago and I tuned off my edgy atheist complex and just read it. I really almost cried at the end of chapter two, and connected with Job's sorrow.

I would also recommend a book titled "Provocations" by Soren Kierkegaard. Kierkegaard says in one of his writings that men who can isolate themselves from society and be content are the types of men he prefers to write to.

interesting thanks

do you have a pdf?

The Beckett Trilogy and There's Treasure Everywhere, by Watterson.

one step at a time, fronds

thank you! very intriguing recs
kierkgaard is on my wishlist, but is it okay reading Provocations as the first work from him? Also, with no knowledge on Bible?

lol

how the fuck will you use pdf without the electricity?

kierkegaard is a waste of time without knowledge of the bible.

kek. that wasn't me

grendel by john gardner