Is there any poetry that surpasses or at least matches the greatest music? (Beethoven, Mozart...

Is there any poetry that surpasses or at least matches the greatest music? (Beethoven, Mozart, that kind of stuff) I don't think there is, but let me know what you think, Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JqwBZ639pvw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Greatest music
>Mozart

top kek

No

I think you wrote that question backwards.

Is there any music that surpasses or at least matches the greatest poems? I don't think there is.

I also find it strange that you included Beethoven and Mozart after "greatest music" as if they apply?

Poetry probably surpasses music in it's use of words, but I think music is better at using sounds.

In terms of what? Being emotive? Making you feel sophisticated? Appearing complex? Being long?

kek

English: Shakespeare
French: Racine
German: Goethe
Italian: Dante
Portuguese: Camões
Spanish: de Vega
Dutch: Vondel
Polish: Mickiewicz
Russian: Pushkin
Indian: Kālidāsa
Greek: Homer
Persian: Ferdowsi

These are some of the most highly regarded poets in their given languages, known for producing epic/dramatic works. Just a quick list. There will be other names that stand out, like Milton in English. Shorter poems can be aesthetically pleasing, too. Try Keats for English. The Chinese have had quite a few brilliant lyric poets, also.

You don't enjoy classical music, you just listen to it because you think it makes you smart.
Fuck off you sad asshat.

Not really i think a lot of it is very atmospheric and i genuinely enjoy listening to it, especially reading with some classical in the background that fits the theme of what i'm reading; it feels more immersive

t. wigger

Poetry's strength comes not from sounds (although people frequently say, wrongly, that the best poetry is musical) but ideas in motion. While humans have had tons longer to develop their ability to parse visual & auditory stimuli - they have spent significantly less time with symbolization and abstract communication.

See if anyone who appreciates Mozart or Classical music can grasp Wallace Stevens.

>i share my board with this kind of people

All art is a farce OP get with the program,.

Also this. And OP should instead listen to Dubstep

then why not just write prose? what is the point of meter and prosody if poetry does not attempt a musical quality?

F U R T H E R
P R O O F

OP here. I study at a top conservatory, so actually I understand music much more than you do. Also, enjoying classical music is not an impressive feat, by the way.

Poetry is an image of an image, not the thing itself. Music is not an image of an image but an image of the thing itself. A step closer to the truth, so no, there will never be poetry that is like music.

stop being a pretentious twat

Wow, wasting 3-4 years on something you've fooled yourself into thinking you like.
I feel sorry for you user.
Do you also own a fedora and top hat like the classy gentlemen that you are?

you're obviously a pseud since you think mozart is in any way comparable to beethoven but whatever.

imho baudelaire, rimbaud pushkin, byron, rilke surpasse or equal chopin and beethoven and schuman tchaikovsky and schubert and basically everyone else except Bach (in their respective language). Bach is the just the pinnacle of humanity theree's nothing you can do about it. especially glenn gould's

first sentence hits way too close to home fuark

Nope.

Music is by far the most powerful art form there is. I'm not sure who people are fooling with the hierarchy they create with literature at the top.
The greatest prose ever written will sound like poetry, the greatest poetry will eventually just sound like music.

>Shorter poems can be aesthetically pleasing, too.
It's called "lyric poetry", user.

>especially reading with some classical in the background
You enjoy neither literature nor music then

OP BTFO

>Poetry's strength comes not from sounds (although people frequently say, wrongly, that the best poetry is musical) but ideas in motion.

You are right, yet is incredible just how many people thing the opposite of what you said. I thing that the main strength of poetry is imagery, above all metaphor.

Is funny, as a writer I feel that nothing I ever write will be capable or surpassing the feeling that the beauty in Mozart and Beethoven makes me experience. I don’t feel the same pleasure even when reading the greatest passages of Shakespeare. Yet Beethoven (I am reading a biography of him) had great respect for poets and thought that poetry, in its greater moments, was superior to anything music could do.

I guess we tend to admire more that which is out of our reach.

No, it's genuinely fun to listen to. Not everyone likes your darkie music, boy.

Mozart is much better than Beethoven. Beethoven could only write Fidelio whereas Mozart wrote a plethora of Operas and Sing-spiels.
youtube.com/watch?v=JqwBZ639pvw

You are not being fair with Beethoven. One of Mozart greatest strengths was with vocal music, above all dramatic vocal music. Beethoven, by the time he wrote Fidelio, was already becoming quite deaf and had problems dealing with the singers (actually, his own personality was not that prone to collective work).

Mozart also seemed to have a more deep understanding of other people, of women, of common human kind. Beethoven was much more personal and immersed in himself. It seems that he was more able to express ideas thorough characters than the characters themselves as people.

Beethoven, had he died with Mozart’s age, would certainly not be as great as Mozart. But Beethoven had more time to mature, and many of his compositions in the realm of symphonic music, string quartets and piano sonatas are more complex than the ones by Mozart.

We generally wonder: what would have Mozart achieved had he remained alive? But Beethoven’s fate and personality where very different, so his maturing as an artist was not only a matter of time, but of his own relation to his mind and the strange worlds he entered due to isolation, deafness and sickness.

>(Beethoven, Mozart, that kind of stuff)
..the list could go on

Obviously poetry can be appreciated sonically. All of the ancient epics were meant to be read aloud. But of course there are different kinds of poetry that are better at different things. It's always silly to tie it down to one type of appreciation like simply "Ideas in motion" or just the sonic qualities.

It's ridiculous. The two are cousins.
And the greatest artist/thinker of the modern age knew as much.
Those who think music can't express ideas have never listened and those who think poetry can't achieve transcendental perfection haven't read.

Schopenhauer, let the kids have some fun.

t. illiterate pseud who thinks culture is R E A L and not constructed.

Why are musicians who composed complex works much more productive than writers?

For example, Shakespeare wrote at most some 37 plays (some of them with collaboration), the 154 sonnets and two longer poems. Yet even Beethoven, who was very demanind about what he wrote and how much he would polish a piece composed at least 135 works with Opus number (and there are many more without opus number).

What’s the main difference, for example, in writing a piano concerto and a Shakespearean comedy? Is the comedy more time-demanding?

I guess literature is much more time-demanding than music, not because it is better (nor worse), but because musical language is more immediate to what it expresses. The emotions expressed in a comedy are further from written words.

pathetic

you're a fucking disgrace
mozart is a frivolous wunderkind with a few moments of brilliance here and there. what you linked to isfrivolous, uninterinstig, shallow turd. look up 14th quartet, sonata 32, diabelli variations to discover actual art for the first time in your petty miserable life you gargantuan sob

i truly despise you. you and your recent ancestors for having led to your existence

the mere annihilation of your kind would usher in the greatest era of artistic and scientific output our race has ever known

i hate you

you should cease to exist for the sake of humanity