Does it live up to the hype?

Does it live up to the hype?

The Adventures betweeen Ignatius and the Parrot are legendary

It's a love it or hate it book. Don't get caught up in the surface gags and realize there's other themes at play.

That's what I think stopped me from finishing it the first time I was reading it, that is, not realizing there's another layer.

It's good. Probably a lot should have been edited out like his agent suggested, you know, instead of toole sperging out and killing himself. But good overall.

i read it. it was interesting. not genius, maybe, wish he hadn't killed himself and written greater work. i am reminded of ignatius masturbating to memories of how soft his childhood dog's fur felt. the characters are strong caricatures, probably people he knew, if not, he was skilled at making carnivalesque entities, but something whispers a truth about it. it's all too familiar if you're victim to oblomovism in modern america. there is a constant sense that ignatius was born in a time unfamiliar to him, and more so, there is no proper time for him to exist.

I should try to read this again. I think I dropped it within 20 pages.

It's a great book user. Some of the humor can go over your head as it plays a lot with how particular people from that city and the city itself are, but being able to get all that only makes it even better.
Characters are great, Ignatius is truly one of the best characters ever written and there are some incredible scenes (the fat fuck in front of the tv and the room blue from the screen light or the masturbation scene come to mind).
It's not light reading and you can get a lot of juice out of it if you don't get caught by the superficial buffoonery.

It is basically a Seinfeld episode: the book. Make of that what you will.

He's right about Boethius and Batman.

I thought it was a pretty funny, often much more subtle than people realize, pastiche of New Orleans and the folly of fortune and the foibles of small time folks. Shame he killed himself before completing any other major works.

i particularly enjoyed his depictions of the speech patterns of the coloreds.

What books are prerequisites for a good understanding?

It's pretty much my second favorite book.

It's the greatest lampoon of humanity I've ever read

hows the neon bible? is it as good?

It's some school project he shat out, supposedly not good

The mom is a royal cunt of the 1st degree. Her stupid ass gets drunk and runs into a building, yet it becomes Ignatius' fault somehow. She starts a fight with an innocent old man which gets him locked up, and he ends up blaming Ignatius for it. Then she tries to hook up with him purely for the money, She's also the one that sent the officer to tale Ignatius during the end which resulted in the incident at the bar and being published in the newspaper, and of course Ignatius gets blamed for that. Then this bitch has the nerve to try and get him committed over it.

None really. Just have an understanding of 60's American society in the South. Red Scare, desegregation, and the post war boom specifically.

'Crusaders for Moorish Dignity'. The banner he proudly made for a black workers movement.
That still cracks me up.

My favorite moment in the book is when he commands his followers to tear down the system, but the first thing they break is something he likes so he freaks out and tells them to stop.

They are tearing down the Ignatius j Riley statue here in Baltimore. This book is officially /pol/ tier

OH NOOOOO NOW NOBODY WILL KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT THE BOOK!!!!!!! TOOLE WOULD REALLY GIVE A SHIT!!!!!!!!

It's more like Dumb and Dumber if the characters had some pretense of being academics. It's hilarious

I wrote a paper on that scene in college. It's a brilliant scene

What the fuck is this shit? Why isn't he fat? Why is he black?

What did you write on, specifically?

>this isn't a fat man in merrica