ITT: Books on the Sea

I'm looking for books that involve the sea. Stuff with ships(modern or old), pirates, adventures at sea, really anything to do with it. Stuff I've gone through that I can think of right now are:

Moby Dick
Robinson Crusoe
Castaway
Treasure Island
Gulliver's Travels
The Sea
Old Man and the Sea
The Sea is my Brother

Probably a few others I forgot to mention. I have my eye on those Master and Commander books, also The Republic of Pirates by Woodard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aSt1J_usLzQ
goodreads.com/book/show/7597897-stories-of-the-sea
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Life of Pi? Haven't read it myself and have no idea if it's well regarded on here, but it fits the description.

Robin Hobb's Liveship trader books are bloody amazing. My personal favourite "sea adventures" novels out of everything (including the classics).

Ships that are themselves alive, characters in their own right and surprisingly complex at that. Lots of trading, pirates and so on.

Ulysses.

Poe's Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym.
Hodgson's Boats of the Glen Carrig and Ghost Pirates

Read the Life of Pi already; it was alright, but not super amazing IMO.

These all sound interesting so I'll add em to the list. Thank you.

The Odyssey
Os Lusíadas
Don Juan (Byron)
Arabian Nights

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea

isn't this from the original Yu-Gi-Oh?

Adding Into the Maelstrom by Poe

why do I feel there is a rule 34 to this

Most of Conrad, Nigger of the Narcissus, Typhoon, Lord Jim

YGOTAS. This highly complex parody is rich with allusion.

youtu.be/aSt1J_usLzQ

Billy Budd is essential

Ah I knew I forgot some. I loved Billy Budd, read it before Moby Dick to get a feel for Melville's style.
All sound great, adding them to the list. Thank you.

The Tempest

Riders to the Sea, although you never actually see the Sea itself

>Nigger of the Narcissus
Really? I have it on the shelf, never knew it was about that tho'

Typhoon by Conrad
Two Years Before the Mast

Stephen Crane has a short story about him and a handful of dudes stuck in a rowboat together after a shipwreck that I particularly enjoyed. I'm blanking on the name though. Hopefully another user can provide it.

Mishima

Ooo i like sea!

There's the story of the Golden Globe race in Bernard Moitessier's The Long Way, very poetic. A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols is another report of it. Hard to find but if you can grab any of Amyr Klink's books, Endless Sea, or Between two Poles. Can't recommend this enough: Joshua Slocum' s Sailing Alone Aroudnd The World. Francis Chichester and his Gypsy Moth have some good stories as well.

These are the real deal, not fiction! Good thread OP i want to get some recommendations as well!

Though hardly being a book about the sea, The Sot-Weed Factor has quite a few seafaring and pirate sections, as well as passages about John Smith's adventures exploring the Chesapeake. I'd say 50% of the novel takes place either on a ship in the Atlantic or on boats throughout the Chesapeake Bay.

Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum. It's something of a diary/travel log/explanation of his time being the first man to do what the title says he did - he was the first man to sail alone around the world.

He was struck with loneliness, and very insightful. Died a few years after completing his journey when he set out for sea for some unknown reason. Barnes and Nobel has a pretty good edition for ~5 bucks.

Related to OP, but has anyone got any good maritime history book recs?

I'm guessing you didn't mean recent history or indeed submarines but this book is completely fascinating so I have to recommend it

I was looking for older stuff but I'll still check it out later, thanks for the rec

Kon Tiki
The Silent World
The Sharks
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Many Conrad books should be among the very first mentioned.

Reading Woodard right now actually and I have to say, it's pretty good.

goodreads.com/book/show/7597897-stories-of-the-sea