Out of all the possible dumb material in the Universe you happen to occupy the small amount that are heavy atoms

>Out of all the possible dumb material in the Universe you happen to occupy the small amount that are heavy atoms
>Out of all the vast amount of molecules in the universe you happen to occupy the miniscule amount that compose a living being
>out of all the microbial and single celled lifeforms you happen to be born as a conscious animal
>out of all the conscious animals throughout all the billion years of life in Earths history you happen to be born as the only one ever capable of reflecting on this fact

Can a non-religious writer explain this without falling back on just declaring it an unfathomable fluke?

>you happen to
You happen to be a prat

Hahahhahhaa! Boom Boom!

This makes no sense. Some HAS to be you,and "someone"has to be that dog and that rock etc

Whooooah man the universe is so amazing dude --->god exists
Nice use of logic

So its just a lottery where the odds are unconceivably stacked against being a sentient being and I just so happen to have won (or lost) it?

Wow, so this... this is the power of atheism...

(You) don't exist as a separate entity outside of those things. (You) are just a product of those circumstances. This is like saying out of all the possible numbers 1 + 1 happened to be 2.

That's incredibly stupid given the vast amount of things I could also be identified as, "illusory" or not. Completely leaves the mystery unaddressed

I never said the word "illusory," so why did you?

There is no vast amount of things in relation to you. You are exactly what you are and only could've been that. No understanding that is down-syndrome levels of stupidity.

You dint won it because there is no you before you are born

>You dint won it because there is no you before you are born
But the matter that composes me did, as well as dinosaurs and shit

>and only could've been that

But why could I have not been like a dog or a jellyfish

It would be very hard, and clearly religious types don't like hard questions.

This type of bias is why rich people believe that they are more valuable than anyone else, despite usually falling in the same patterns as other rich people.

So you move the goalpost to "the universe is amazing dude"-->god exists. What are the chances amirite? How DARE you pretend to rationally know what is normal and what is not in this crazy universe?
We are only monkeys talkin on a rock

You can see why though, if you just so happened to be born King it'd be pretty easy to fall into thinking it wasn't just astounding chance.
Going from King to being a human on a cosmic scale is vastly vastly larger coincidence

again, why could 1 + 1 not have been 87 or 3311? that's the level of stupidity you're demonstrating right now.

>We are only monkeys talkin on a rock

Yeah over a logically formulated network of machinery connected globally

Oh so you do trust logic?
Then give me a better argument for god

Yes,made by science and empirical data,not by just thinking very hard and being amazed by life

That only works in the proposition that there was no other potentiality for my existence but the one I occupy now. Which is not so self evident to me. Why could I have not been a dog?

Science and empirical data is basically just thinking really hard and being amazed by life

>Why could I have not been a dog?
look, I get you're fucking around but on the off chance you actually think this I'm gonna just repeat one last time that there is no you other than exactly what you are. there is no way to copy you or isolate you or even conceive of a you apart from what you are. that is all you ever were and could have been. it literally makes NO SENSE to speak of a you apart from what you are.
you immortal soul was not plucked from the sea of unborn babies and slot machined into a waiting body, okay?
and I'm out. someone else take over.

>How DARE you pretend to rationally know what is normal and what is not in this crazy universe?

I'm only going by the objective fact of how astonishingly rare and tiny we are as rational beings. We are objectively a very strange phenomenon in any sense

>you immortal soul was not plucked from the sea of unborn babies and slot machined into a waiting body, okay?

OK sure I can accept for your argument I did not previously exist and simply manifested at some point on my conception, but why manifest as a sentient being and not some dinosaur rat or an ant of which there were countless more

>consciousness is a gift and not a curse
of my sweet summer child

I think I got brain damage reading this thread.

That's called having your mind blown

Lem mentions that in memoirs found in a bathtub

People overthink this. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that you are born as you is equally as amazing as it is the opposite.

dinosaurs are a lie created by satan to convince nonbelievers that Earth isn't 6,000 years old

>le me rolling dice, not letting you see the results
>once in a while I ask you if you want to bet that I rolled a 6
>strangely, I am always right
>THEREFORE GOD

It's called anthropic principle, look it up.

The Anthropic principal has nothing to do with this question idiot. That addresses an explanation for why our environment is conducive for human life, not the strange fact that we are humans in the first place

Someone clearly has to be you.
Sure you could have been anyone, but it had to, evidently, be someone.
You could not ask the question if you didn't exist, an infinity of possible other people/sentient entities that will never exist could have asked it instead, just as likely.
You can throw a 1000 dice, and all of them can get sixes, can happen, would eventually happen, will happen somewhere at sometime in eternity.

The impressive thing is that all of this happened in just 13 billion years.
So either life is easier to happen that we know.
Or existence has existed far longer than 14/13 billion years.
Or we just hit the 1 in 1000000000000 chance, or whatever. Can happen. Might be alone in universe.

"Why not" is just as legitimate a question as "why for" or "how". Tell me why it shouldn't be this way.
Cause every other way is just as unlikely as the next.