/stack/ bread

How many meme points do I get for this stack?

>Robert Fagles

>he took the meme list seriously

I'm sorry for you

>hey Veeky Forums i bought all the meme books you guys constantly have threads about am I cool yet?

None, as you need to read them first

>no infinite meme

I'll give you 3 points out of pity, nothing more

meme point me

>penguin classics deluxe edition
>fagles
>1984
>philip k. dick
>all paperbacks
You are living the pseud meme. You are also very good at avoiding books which would require actual effort.

>Pevear

give me some to read that require actual effort.

Nice Umineko reference

Ezra pound the cantos

jesus christ. why don't you just buy a book you're interested in instead of getting a bunch of books from "the 100 greatest classics of all time"?

I don't think I'm ready for Infinite Jest but thanks for the meme points desu

I'm avoiding books that require actual effort because I'm a brainlet who just started reading a short while ago. I know next to nothing about literature and I don't have any particular interests besides weebshit so I just relied on Veeky Forums's top 100 and various references I remember from other media to get started. I considered just reading more LNs, but I thought that I should try new things.

>>penguin classics deluxe edition
>>fagles
I went with Fagles for Homer because IIRC I've read that Fagles is supposed to be "easy to read". As for C&P, I've heard good things about Ready's translation and the end notes are a great help. Incidentally, the only other translation of C&P that my bookstore had was by Monas but it was a mass market paperback and my eyes were hurting 2 pages in; not to mention that it didn't have any endnotes.

>>Philip K. Dick
Orwell and Dick were referenced in Psycho Pass, just fuck my shit up. To specify, both Orwell and Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep were mentioned in that one scene where Makishima sperged out about paperbacks being better than ebooks IIRC.

>>all paperbacks
Get your eyes checked retard

Should've thrown in the Divine Comedy for good measure

See above desu

Just bought these the other day, can't wait for em to arrive. How'd I do?

These are the first 4 "real" books I've bought myself.
>21, neet
>got bored of video games
>realized all I was looking for was "story heavy" games, so why not just skip the whole boring gameplay part
Is Faulkner too stronk for a beginner?

First lesson
>never buy 400+ page books in paperback, corner dented on arrival

>nine stories
nice I bought that one a couple days ago, it's really good and oh god I didn't expect the bananafish ending

To be fair, Valis takes more effort to understand than any Pynchon or anything like that.

I agree, I love PKD but the farthest I've gotten through VALIS is only about halfway.

have you considered the fact that by the time he was working on VALIS (only a hugely abridged version is published btw) he was completely losing it and seeking to "understand" the ramblings of a late stage schizophrenic is a fool's errand?

Have you considered the fact that he was literally always crazy and arbitrarily assigning stages to his craziness is a cop out? He wrote 2 completely coherent novels after Valis and according to his friends, he was more sane before he died than he was the majority of his life.

Sorry I was thinking of Exegesis, not VALIS.

the exegesis shouldn't even be considered a novel desu. i guess it counts as "literature" but direct comparisons to, say, pynchon's novels, would be unfair.

All good m8.

It's not a novel. It was just intended to give his diehards insight into his theories regarding Gnosticism and how it interacted with his work. I'm not even sure he wanted it published considering he was dead.

Ignore this fagit OP, Homer, Notes, Lolita, Stoner and No Longer Huan are worth it. You'd have some more stuff worth reading, too, if you didn't get shitty translations.

Nine stories is actually really good. And yes me neither for Bananafish--definitely one of my faves from the collection. Worth the read.

Lol @ that Wordsworth. Two great modernist novels tho so respect.

Going to post it again, maybe you will say something about it this time.

Which translation did you buy for the three kingdoms?
Cause that looks like one that's sold as a boxset only.

i bet the animu historu book will mention hokusai because manga started with him if i may be so bold

Cop?

You're in australia right? Have you compared prices yet? Would you buy used?
I got the everyman hardback copy of swanns way and Within a Budding Grove for $7 aus shipped used though.
I'd imagine the gulag archipelago could be found easily also.

It's the Beijing Foreign Press one.
I got this one because it was the cheapest
It's pretty good, I've read a third of the firts volume so far. The endnotes help a lot. It also has a classic commentary in the endnotes.
It's a fragile book.

About to start the firtst chapter on Post war animation. It did a pretty good job so far on tearing down the "lol Tezuka God of anime" myth.
The beginning is a bit sluggish, since there isn't much to talk about besides processes and foreign influences on techniques of production, since a lot of the films didn't survive.

>Aristotle

Holy shit, expensive

>books must require effort to be worthwhile reading

KYS

I'm not really sure why OP is getting so much hate? It's a pretty good stack for someone getting into literature.
You psueds need to stop being such annoying cunts.

6/10 could be way more meme-y

I dont care about memes, there are some great books in this stack; if you haven't read them yet, youre in for a treat

Where can I get good condition used though?

I have considered buying used at a store near me IRL but the prices literally are almost retail for a new copy. Its insane.

Picked up these from a charity store yesterday.

All of these were thrift store finds, so only a few dollars.