Who else /slow reader/? It takes 2-3 weeks average for one book

Who else /slow reader/? It takes 2-3 weeks average for one book

I still can't read fast even though I'm currently a NEET

Same boat here, wondering if pragmatic reading ( writing about what the book is about) is the better course of action than just blasting through it.

Go outside, to a park, or cafe, everyday.

I can read really quick when it doesn't matter to me.
Like when I can fly through a 300 post thread without even thinking and take in all the discourse.
But then when I read a fiction book I feel like I have to go slow and think about every line so I read at a snails pace and I can't justify just flying through it.

Stop sounding out words i n your head. You look at a word, you instantly know what it means as the letters are parsed in your brain, and move on to the next word. I actually hate books that use simple language because a bunch of two- and three-letter words are harder to read quickly than a single word which expresses the phrase.

>he had his head cut off at the neck
>he was decapitated

I actually really love Jung's writing style because it's advanced enough but not too advanced. A single line could have only 5 words, each at 8-14 letters, and is so quickly readable at least compared to a similar line consisting of 15 words at 3-8 characters each.

Also, stop bullshitting. Commit to read X amount of either pages or time. Three hours a day (three one hour sessions is less exhaustive than marathon) or 60-80 pages. Read 66 pages a day = 200 pages in 3 days = 400-500 page book in

2-3 weeks isn't bad at all, takes me months to finish 600 page books since I don't always have the time

I listen to audiobooks. I know that's technically slower than reading, but I end up finishing a book faster because I can listen while I work. Plus it makes getting through boring/hard parts easier.

If you squeeze in ten pages every time you experience a lull in the commotion of proactivity, in addition to what you normally read, you'll finish it in less than a month. Even a pleb who reads 20 pages a day (which can be done across your breaks at work), just two of those 10-page "sessions", will finish a 600 page book in a month.

me, but not for lack of ability. I CAN read a 600-700 page book in 2 days, but since I have a couple different mental issues, I rarely manage to. It's more frustrating than you can imagine than when you do get into a swing, and you want to keep it up, right? Keep going, but then you have to pick out the next book and you stall. OR even worse, you've read the first 500 pages and then you run out of steam and you can't read the last 100 pages. Fuck. It's awful. I hate it. I just want to read.

>but then you have to pick out the next book
>not constantly having 10 new books on deck that you research during reading breaks
I can't keep up with myself is the problem

try having kids.

You're lucky if you have 30mins to read a week.

family is a black hole of time

when I do that I have no idea what I just read
I'll literally just see the words but not understand them so how do I get my brain less retarded?

This. I hate reading at home. Just can't do it. Public places are lovely because you don't feel crushingly alone.

DFW unironically talks about this in that video where he makes all the weird faces.

It takes me 2-3 weeks to get through five pages. I'm not joking. I also lack the basic reflexes to play piano

>lull in the commotion of proactivity
can anybody explain im dumb

When I read in public I get anxious to the point where I can't stop thinking of people staring at me even though I know they don't care. I do like going on a hiking trail and going to a secluded spot.

I don't have many problems with my attention span while reading, but I can't really concentrate on audio books.

try constructing a mental image as you read the words on the page. this will help keep you focused and give you a reference point.

You keep doing it. You didn't know how to sign your name when you first began printing. You might also slow down just a bit, I could look at a word for the blink of an eye but if I linger on it (still just fractions of a second) it commits more. Basically I end up reading at the speed which you have a fast, enthusiastic, articulated thought. Contrary to that, sounding every word out in my head caused me to forget the beginning of a sentence before the endof it, because the pacing was much more fragmented than the pace of natural thought, as I just described.

It took me a week-ish to get used to the pace. Not very long, though I only just into reading at the start of this summer, so it may also be that I didn't have any poor habits reinforced by years of repetition to encumber my progress.

>gotta do this
>gotta do that
>gotta go here next
>gotta go over there now
In between all of your activities (and proactivity, as in an active life, rather than a sedentary life of which someone doesn't have to try to find free time) there are breaks. When you're waiting for coffee to brew, when you're on a break at work, when you're sitting on a toilet. Just keep your book with you and read small pieces of it each time. You will make progress.

Reading is so boring. That's the problem. I could read 10 books a day if I wanted but halfway through a page I'm zoning out, thinking about other things. That just tells me that most writers suck. Movies capture my attention. Music captures my attention. Professional wrestling captures my attention. God the Creator captures my attention through all of the marvelous things he has created, including cute girls, and nature. But books? Nope.

can't be a slow reader if I never read

I used to have that problem. It turned out I just don't like fiction

actually great advice, thanks user

I too consider myself a slow reader, but I was able to get through infinite jest in 3 or 4 weeks.

Do you have trouble staying focused? Because even if you are a slow reader and are focused on reading for 2ish hrs a day you should be able to read a bit quicker

what do you read?

I'm reading Jung's "Man and His Symbols" right now, I read Seneca's "Letters from a Stoic" before that, and Victor Sebestyen's "Lenin the Dictator" before that. I'm all over the map because it's hard to stick to one thing when actual human culture as in practice is so rich and engaging.