> Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty
> The Price of Inequality by Joseph Stiglitz
> Globalization and its Discontents by Stiglitz
> Making Globalization Work by Stiglitz
> The Euro by Stiglitz
> Models of Bounded Rationality and Economic Design by Ariel Rubinstein

inb4 Austrian shit

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/books/2017/may/03/yanis-varoufakis-greece-greatest-political-memoir
bnarchives.yorku.ca/259/2/20090522_nb_casp_full_indexed.pdf
americanaffairsjournal.org/2017/08/utilitarian-economics-corruption-conservatism/
princeton.edu/~pkrugman/interstellar.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Thomas Piketty
dude turbo-capitalism lamo

>Joseph Stiglitz
Suprise, welcome to the 21st century!

>Ariel Rubinstein
What is the dialectic of enlightment?

>Stiglitz
Go shill your book somewhere else Joseph

stiglitz is ok but it's just common sense liberal shit, not going to find any new insights

The Calculus of Consent

It's like you tried to make a list of terrible economic books but you couldn't remember exactly what they were, so you looked up ones that liberal professors agree with and ended up with what you were setting out to do in the first place.

>Globalism
>Making it work
DROPPED

>Austrian
>Shit

i like 'Economics: The User's Guide', 'Why Nations Fail', as well as 'Mathematics for Innumerate Economists'.

but all of
>Dieter Helm, The Economic Borders of the State.
>Samuel Brittan, The Role and Limits of Government.
>Michael Stewart, Keynes and After.
>S. Landsburg, The Armchair Economist.
>A. Dixit and B. Nalebuff, Thinking Strategically.
are good too.

Do people really read economics books for fun?
Why?

Stiglitz worked for the Fed or world bank didn't he? There were a few books of his I was interested in but never go around to.

The Money Mafia by Paul hellyer is kinda good if you're willing to handle some /x/

The one, the only

This has to be bait.

>inb4 Austrian shit
Von Böhm-Bawerk and Menger are perhaps the two best economists in history so I would recommend their work.
Alfred Marshall even though it's "dated". Ricardo is still relevant and Turgot is a master and is the most Veeky Forums economist. Pareto was right about everything. Walras can still be studied.
More recently Armen Alchian is good for price theory and his collected works are easily available in the Indianapolis edition.
James Bachanan is harder to get into but Calculus of Consent is goat.
Anything Wilhem Röpke.
Maurice Allais is criminally underrated in the Anglo world, probably because they can get many of the same ideas in Samuelson.

Patrician.

Probably required reading, even though it's shit.

Every time I try to get into the Austrians they come across as astoundingly autistic and out of touch with reality.

second this

That's because they are autistic. Which doesn't make them not right.
It's not surprising that this school of thought emerged in Austria/South Germany. Imagine Edmund Husserl writing about economics.

>That's because they are autistic. Which doesn't make them not right
I mean it makes their fundamental assumptions about how humans act very out of touch and therefore inaccurate

>common sense
>liberal

Pick one

There is very little assumed about behavior. Typically Austrians just consider that people rank things and consider these rankings are taken as independent variables (as would be, say, probabilities or masses). Also these rankings are the "true" state of preference in an individual and have little to do with conscious phenomena of liking/disliking things (just like the concept of force in physics has virtually nothing to do with the experience of muscular exertion).
This of course leads to extremely autistic phrasing, like information costs being unconscious opportunities, or the relative disregard for social psychology. But it's mostly a problem of words from terminally Asperger writers.

I worded it wrong, some of the axioms in general seem disagreeable to me, not necessarily those about human behavior

Well that was implied in your post and that's usually what triggers people.

Lexus and the Olive Tree.

theguardian.com/books/2017/may/03/yanis-varoufakis-greece-greatest-political-memoir

protectionistfags BTFO

Piketty is the only worthwhile author in your list. If you have no economics background don't bother with Piketty and stick to pop economics like Krugman and Stiglitz.

What's wrong with Ariel Rubinstein?

Stigitz and Krugman have objectively contributed much more to economics than Piketty.

>Maurice Allais
He's underrated in the French world too, he's even a kind of outcast. He's never quoted in the mainstream media, only on "alternative" websites.

One could believe he was just a pop economist with a tinfoil hat, if he didn't have that sweet Nobel...

Ridiculous opinion.

> What's wrong with Ariel Rubinstein?
He asked, knowingly.

Capital as Power. A Study of Order and Creorder
bnarchives.yorku.ca/259/2/20090522_nb_casp_full_indexed.pdf

>Typically Austrians just consider that people rank things
Except people don't, and can't really do this, so it leads to a distorted way of viewing how an economy really functions

americanaffairsjournal.org/2017/08/utilitarian-economics-corruption-conservatism/
>...It is a big step from saying that my opportunity cost for having soup for lunch today was not having a sandwich—a clear decision that I probably did actually make in the manner presented—to saying that my entire budget is allocated in such a way that I carefully calculate all my opportunity costs for everything simultaneously, and that I do so using a marginal utility calculus.

Come on guys. Please specify whether you mean economic liberalism or American-colloquial definition of "liberal"

princeton.edu/~pkrugman/interstellar.pdf
Sure.

Back to