The saddest book

What is the saddest, the most depressing book that you've ever read, Veeky Forums?

In response to the pic:

Why didn't you make something happen?

Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence

bump

this

pls no.

my diary desu

Bump

my diarrhea desu

shit smells terribly and I have to go to the toilet every few hours; my anus is getting irritated from all the wiping

nothing, I have a crippling fear of reading (or watching) anything sad happen. In fact, I skip multiple chapters at a time if I think something sad is about to happen, and most of the time, I just can't continue at all.

>my anus is getting irritated from all the wiping
that's why you rub baby cream on your asshole, dumbass

This book inspired the most depressing parts of true detective right?

No, that was Thomas Ligotti's Conspiracy Against the Human Race

Stoner, because it is so true to life and could happen to anyone.

long days journey into the night
god fucking damn that was sad

I might have felt sad about crime and punishment if I could manage to care. I might be exactly who Dostoevsky was writing about with Rodya, though my beliefs are yet unchallenged

The parts of Infinite Jest that reflected how militaristic children are treated nowadays.

The Children of Húrin

The House of Mirth

Much of V. S. Naipaul. In a Free State, Miguel Street, A Bend in the River.

I started reading this today. Not only is it thoroughly depressing but it has also made me incredibly angry, If I say "Grace's desk" I hope you understand what I mean.

Niels Lyhne by Jens Peter Jacobsen

l'Assomoir

Butter up your pooper.

What a gross ripoff of Cioran.

>If I say "Grace's desk" I hope you understand what I mean.
I do but Why be angry? You may empathise at worst but why rage?

Flowers for Algernon.

I know it's apparently a popular middle school/high school book, but I only read it recently, and the way you watch his writing ability and articulation degrade in real time made me just weep. I've said that books "made me cry" before, but Algernon was the first time I actually sobbed after reading a book.

Yeah, I'm a pussy pleb, I know

The Odyssey.

To think that a people could be so moved and proud among themselves only to devolve into today.
Feels sad

probably pic related

this but literally any text from greek antiquity besides faggot ass aristotle

Skylark imo
I see Stoner as bittersweet. But Skylark, so comfy and sad at the same time.

annabelle lee

On the Beach.
People have 4 months to live and yet they have plans for a lifetime.

I actually found this book quite inspiring. Despite never rising past associate prof. or repairing his marriage, he managed to live a pretty decent life, and find resolution in his work and in his relationship with Driscoll. It shows that even major blows aren't as bad as we might think, and that even the greatest boons don't change much in the long run.

[spolier]It is kind of depressing though[/spoiler]

Just read The Road, gonna read Stoner and this next, ready for some /depressed/ core

Because Edith is using Grace against Stoner. Never use the child, ever. That's just fucking low.

no access to any trucks
also, bollards.

Found catcher in the rye to be very disturbing personally. Though I need to read more stuff.

>03:40:11
That was pretty much the whole point of the reflection at the end of the book. Even though his life wasn't perfect he still found some happiness and was able to live his own life beyond the shitty life on the farm that he was expected to live

this must be up there, surely

Baby wipes mate. I use them all the time. A lot cleaner and a lot friendlier to the skin.

Also, baby wipes (any brand) are made of a (synthetic) fiber material unlike moist toilet paper, which is just compressed, wet paper that only smear out shit.

When I sit down I have my hand ready to flush, and whet it starts looking out, I flush and press everything out. Repeat if necessary.

Then dry wipe a bit till mostly clean. And finisbh with 2/3 passages of baby wipes. Finally one more dry pass to dry off.

Perfect shit experience every time. You're welcome.

williams said himself he never found the novel to be a depressing one. im halfway through it now and im in between. its not so much stoner having a miserable life, but rather him coming into situations where he has to make hard decisions that affect himself as well as the people around him.

im surprised at how much im liking this book. the descriptions for it made it sound terribly boring.

catcher in the rye is unbearably sad. any time i start thinking about the museum or the school or the carousel i start tearing up

I think if you reread it in a few years after you go through a change of person/mind you might be reduced to tears.

It happens to people, so I've been told.

I remember The Catcher in the Rye as being really sad. Especially at the end when he watches Phoebe on the carousal. But that's just me.