There's an lgbt literature course in the multicultural literature studies at my college this semester (it cycles...

There's an lgbt literature course in the multicultural literature studies at my college this semester (it cycles through various subjects every semester). Take or no?

Other urls found in this thread:

booklist.rassaku.net/
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Michel_Foucault
youtube.com/watch?v=ub4qnyDusqU
youtube.com/watch?v=R7tSMwLQ5PI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

putt me in le screenie Xd

20th century homos: Burroughs, Mishima, Genet, Foucault

21st century homos: that couple from 'modern family'
political correctness ruined homos.

Does the course description indicate what you'll be reading? There's plenty of interesting literature that could be taught in the course, even moreso if they include works by gay authors whose homosexuality isn't directly apparent in their work.

Make sure that when you prepare photographic evidence of this thread this post of mine is not passed over in silence.

1. drop out of college
2. read gay lit on your own

If it interests you!

Don't come crying to us when your dilation goes horribly wrong.

And Gemma Files' Book of Tongues
>wild west priest is magic
>has sex with a legit psychopath gunslinger
>kill a bunch of people
>fuck around
>Ancient aztec goddess stirs shit up.
>shit goes down
>accidentally doom the whole goddamn world.
and that's only book one
I fucking love it.

also, check out booklist.rassaku.net/

Do it, what do you have to lose?

lgbt is 90% technically straight middle class women who identify as 'queer'. gay men are becoming a minority. stop gay genocide

Tell them to read confessions of a mask and describe it as a gay mens struggle in Nippon during the war.
I'm genuily curious what a person who reads terrible, politically correct lgbt-literature would think while reading it.

Ain't that the truth.

look at the course description and if it doesn't mention Sappho or Oscar Wilde, don't take it

What about Edmund White?

If the books seem like they're actually good and thought-provoking, do it and keep us posted.

Don't bother. The course will most likely be about liberal identity politics rather than the homosexual subject itself. Lesbians/Blacks will most certainly be of prime topic.

>15 replies in
>Still no /pol/ meming

Guys I'm worried, do you think they're okay?

>no /pol/ memeing

Did you miss the OP? Do you genuinely think the OP is genuine and didn't make it up? Wew

The New far right doesn't hate homosexual males (at least not as it used to or as the mainstream think it does)

also dont take it if they project gayness on writers like proust

Well, I can tell you that my class is legitimately offering this course, and I am legitimately interested in taking it. I am a weird person in that I use this site, as long as hang around with people who would generally be considered social justice warrior. I have no preference in that sense, I can appreciate politically incorrect humor even if the people who are making it I disagree with on political issues (although some things people say do legitimately hurt me), but I also ideologically stand much more with the leftists on so many issues from Sanders economic policies, to social libertarianism.

So basically, tl;dr, I am being serious. I just defy your expectations of what a thread on Veeky Forums would actually be, given the type of people who usually use this website.

>If the books seem like they're actually good and thought-provoking, do it and keep us posted.
I sent an email about it to the professor asking him what sort of books they read in the class, to paraphrase very narrowly what I said in full.

I mentioned to the professor in my email that I am a fan of Oscar Wilde, but I'm also interested in authors like Mishima, Genet, and Baldwin. I added a strong note that I am mostly interested in classic literature, and I wasn't sure what sort of literature that you would actually be covering in your class.

> fucking homonormative men of privilege projecting their need to dominate all subcultures including the lgbtqanus community

faggots leave reee

don't waste your time you clueless faggot, you should know exactly what this is about
by the way, Mishima wasn't homo stop projecting just because you're a faggot manlet

Which one of you guys did this?
>rationalwiki.org/wiki/Michel_Foucault

I don't why they call these classes LGBT. Usually it's either all Lesbian or all Gay. Trans issues maybe nowadays you might read 1 work about it. And Bi comes up never.

Just call it Lesbian and/or Gay, don't lie about including Bi and Trans.

makes sense, as the new far right is a cult made up of gay men with self loathing issues. all the major alt right figures seem to belong to the same gay clique. white supremacy is a codeword for gay tyranny.

youtube.com/watch?v=ub4qnyDusqU

I would say it largely depends on the course and the culture of your literature department.

I would make a guess that this could be less about the literature and more about pushing the LGBT cultural movement and identities... and celebrating authors and poets that subscribe to it.

But that's just a guess. And if you're fine with that, go ahead and take it.

The theme of a lit course is really far less important than what books you are studying.

At least if it's a good course, because obviously a good lit course is about the books.

I love lgbt lit because 1)helps me relate to characters and 2)creates precarious social dynamics in almost any kind of story.

I would probably give your course a shot.

if you want some sweet boypussy yeah

bump

Here is what I received in an email from the professor. Names have been removed.

I've attached a copy of the syllabus for the course to this message. You'll see it's actually not a course this time around in what we would call classic LGBT literature, but a study of more contemporary, youth-generated autobiography, persuasive essay, and short fiction about queer and trans identities in twenty-first century America. It's actually closer this time to a queer creative writing course than a traditional literature survey, and I'll spend part of the time in class on the first day explaining why I've chosen to approach the material this way.

Students who have taken 200- and 300-level ENG classes without having first completed their Composition classes on campus have generally not fared very well, -------. I don't know you and can't judge your writing without having seen it, but the course may well prove challenging if you elect to take it before or during the time you're also taking composition.

You're welcome to consider the syllabus and attend the first day or so of class if you wish to, and I can grant you permission via -----------, whom you've already talked to, but please consider all of this information carefully in deciding if this course is right for you and if it fits your expectations. Thanks again for your interest and email and best wishes,
------------

lel, yeah give it a swerve. Thank the professor and take the way out offered in the second paragraph.

Actually, it seems rather interesting. When you look at people like Harold Bloom, who seem to echo the sentiments of this forum, say that the teaching of multiculturalism in literature - to put a person's racial, ethnic, gender, or sexual identity above the canon - to say that it's a subversion of what literature should be, I think is a false dichotomy, and probably reflective of an inherent bias against those things. The reason it's a false dichotomy is because teaching these subjects to students about literature is it's own specific course; you can take a class for studying those things if you desire. You can take various things at different times of day, you don't just take one or the other.

I think it's very interesting that there's a current, modern perspective on writing. One of the reasons people like Harold Bloom call themselves dinosaurs, is because they're not willing to adapt to the changes in the world around them. Harold Bloom acknowledges this himself. He cried when the library went digital, not to begrudge him of this, I think it's cute. The fact of the matter is, addressing current issues, relevant to the current society, is ultimately a stance that a lot of conservative minds are not willing to take. Almost by definition of conservative.

sodomy is the state religion of the west.

I'm so redpilled I'm unironically convinced all gays are just leftist sjws doing it to virtue signal

god that sounds shit

t. privileged white cisgay

I'm so redpilled I'm unironically gay. Women are inferior and romantic love between two manly men is the purest thing there is.

Ancient white Greeks and Romans understood this before Jewish christcucks ruined everything.

Except that neither romans nor greeks believed any such thing.

Jew detected.

Much less concerned with studying contemporary literary approaches to lgbt issues, as much as with the focus on 'youth-generated autobiography', which sounds excruciating. Tumblr in long form. Why would you pay to subject yourself to that?

Bet you your pussyhat pic related is on the reading list.

Is this le ebin "homophobia is semitic"?

Hey, guess what.

Oh, look at this, a retreat to memes when there's no counterpoint to be made; the alt right in a nut shell.

Not him, but it's not a meme.
Sodomy is effectively part of the current religion of the west. Try making a public anti-sodomite statement, see what happens. Pretty much the same thing that would have happened to you a century ago for making anti-christian statements.

There's a big bright world out there beyond the dim confines of p-in-v intercourse. Go discover--yourself!

I wish that I could post the course syllabus here, but that would go beyond the levels of anonymity I am willing to relinquish.

Religion is a meme, your post is a meme. Back to pol. This board is for discussing literature, not your frankly disgusting ideology, which you're wasting your time trying to convince me of - very pathetically I might add.

Has the "if you're against X you must be secretly X" ever been actually believed by anyone or is it just a rhetorical device?
Because I've even seen trannies do that, which is somehow even more stupid.

Religion is a meme, I never denied that. And I don't hope to convince you, you're too invested in your falsehood.

There's no empirical reason to reject homosexuality except on religious grounds, which are subjective and invalid in an argument. I don't know why you say that it's a falsehood, but I do hope that you'll be convinced of YOUR falsehood, because the world could use less these sorts of memes circulating through the heads of people such as yourself. This conversation is so unintellectual it actually hurts.

>There's no empirical reason to reject homosexuality except on religious grounds
Of course there are, you not knowing them doesn't invalidate them. We could discuss the tendency of fags to be hedonists, mentally ill and so on, we could talk do a teleonomical analysis of sex and realize that something that purposefully doesn't fulfill a feature of sex has something wrong with it but I doubt you're open minded enough to do so.

You don't catch my drift.

Have you ever received a blowjob?

I'm not sure where this is going.

Fair enough, you site your facts, but I admittedly don't want to engage in an argument with you about it. Not here, not in this style. I've had arguments with people about such issues before, but I only do so if there isn't that toxic element of spite, which seems so ubiquitous throughout THESE topics.

Yes.

/pol/ is homophobic and probably Jewish as well.

Then you're as ignorant as I suspected, sodimite.

sod·om·y
ˈsädəmē/Submit
noun
noun: sodomy
sexual intercourse involving anal or oral copulation.

It's difficult to appreciate the hatred that SJWs can have for white cis scum heteropatriarchal males until you've experienced it.

It's not as uncommon as you think for professors and students in these classes to literally hate you, to punish you through your grades, to make participation impossible through their hostility, etc. It's very possible to get stuck in a class where the professor wants to give you a B- by default, with an itchy trigger finger for a C and no chance of getting an A (ever), just because you're white and male. I've seen it happen.

The most likely outcome is that you end up getting a B from a slightly cunty teacher, whose cuntiness you could never quite explain or remedy, no matter how hard you kissed ass or tried your best on assignments, assignments that were all vague as fuck leaving a gigantic wiggle-room for a cunty teacher to spitefully grade you low on the curve.

If you want to take it, just audit it and sit in. Don't risk your GPA on it.

Lmao this post is so delusional. Dude, come on.

I didn't know musonius rufus was a jew. go figure.

homosexuality is subverting society to an unprecedented degree. they use political correctness and victimhood to shield themselves from criticism.

youtube.com/watch?v=R7tSMwLQ5PI

Does purposefully being daft ever help your point? I don't think so.

There's nothing per se wrong with queer literature, but the fact that it's being taught in college means that you'll be paying for a homily from the church of contemporary liberalism.

Take a class on something you couldn't study yourself, like mechanical engineering or ancient Greek, and then go home and read Burroughs and Genet on your own.

>i-it's only sodomy when f-f-fags do it!
>h-heh..

Anyways, my response to his, and my reasoning for why I want to take the class, are as follows.

Hi -------, thank you for your response. I read over the course objectives and assignments, among other things in the syllabus. It is concerning to hear that people who have not taken the 100 level courses haven't done well in this class. That is one of the things I talked with ---------- about; she didn't seem to think it was of much concern, which is why I decided to go ahead and ask you. But your opinion is obviously the most direct information I can get.

I can say, that reading over the assignments, there's areas that I definitely think I may be strong at, and areas that I may be weak at. I haven't been to college since I graduated high school in 2012. It's been my imperative to read classic literature as of the last couple years, and I also write a lot on my blog. The fact that I have written so much, is the reason I have confidence in my ability to write my own paper in the style of various writers. What I am concerned about, is the antithesis to free form, thoughtful expression; writing according to certain guidelines. That is where I foresee difficulty, not because I begrudge these guidelines for any reason, but because I simply find it difficult to follow strict directions when writing. In fact, that is one of my chief concerns in pursuing literature; but my general love and passion for writing and reading itself prevail above these repressive doubts.

That said, I think your approach to teaching the class is very interesting, I would be willing to give it a try if it weren't for the strong caveat you mentioned, about the difficulty that new students face. I simply try to read the classics of the western canon, or works which seem analogous in substance, because I feel that I should read the best that literature has to offer us, because there is simply only so much time you have to read - to echo a sentiment of Harold Bloom, a person whose work ethos I find resonates with me. His opinions on teaching multiculturalism in literature do, ironically, contradict the sentiments of your class. But he's very old, his sentiments don't reflect mine, and he seems more resistant to change than other intellectuals of his age. That's why I said that I am interested in classic literature mainly.

(1/2)

In a second email:

I'd also like to say something more regarding Harold Bloom, and the sentiment he shares with people in general, just because he was mentioned.

When you look at people like Harold Bloom say that the teaching of multiculturalism in literature - to put a person's racial, ethnic, gender, or sexual identity above the canon - to say that it's a subversion of what literature "should be", I think is a false dichotomy, and probably reflective of an inherent bias against those things. The reason it's a false dichotomy is because teaching these subjects to students about literature is it's own specific course; you can take a class for studying those things if you desire. You can take various things at different times of day, you don't just take one or the other.

I think it's very interesting that there's a current, modern perspective on writing. One of the reasons people like Harold Bloom call themselves dinosaurs, is because they're not willing to adapt to the changes in the world around them. Harold Bloom acknowledges this himself. He cried when the library went digital, not to begrudge him of this. The fact of the matter is, addressing current issues, relevant to the current society, is ultimately a stance that a lot of conservative minds are not willing to take. Almost by definition of conservative.

(2/2)

For the love of God don't take it

You're narrativizing why you should take it, you have preconceptions about how it's going to go, and while your narrative and your preconceptions are interesting and you should pursue them (mainly that you should expose yourself to new things, while also not caving when it comes to your existing values), they will not be borne out by this class.

You will have a boring shitty time in a class with nebulous success conditions. The whole narrative you have in your head about what it means, about what you're doing, is not in the professor's head. Xe will just slam you for subjective reasons, while hiding it (even in xer own mind) behind phony professionalism and aloofness.

He probably was, but he was born after the Jew invented homophobia anyway.

Sure thing buddy. What about Cato the elder? Him too a jew I guess.

You bet. Look at the schnoz on this guy.

I was mostly just denouncing the conservative sentiment in Harold Bloom's narrative. I don't consider myself partial to any preconceived set of ideological narratives. I think an academic look at the significance of queer writing in the 21st century is very interesting. You wouldn't guess this by a cursory glance at what I've written, but I identify very strongly with the queer community; I just don't feel the need to mention that, because it's not relevant to whether or not I get accepted into the class. Plus, you can add your own take on things, that's what part of the creative writing aspect of it is about. It actually sounds quite fun.

Boy I don't care how many dicks you've sucked. Don't take bad classes.

But why is the class bad? You haven't read the syllabus. I'm genuinely curious to know why. What did his email that I posted itt reflect that indicated what you're declaiming?

>I identify very strongly with the queer community
woah so diverse and progressive

I hope my last message to the professor wasn't too stupid to answer.

lol this thread is gay

>knowing what a word means is "being daft"

All of your messages have been stupid sweetie. I don't care if someone is LGBT necessarily, it's just when they are progressive or leftists that it becomes obnoxious.