/Manga/ thread

Been a while since we had a manga thread
ITT: post manga and other anons will suggest their Veeky Forums equivalent, I'll start
>PKD : do androids dream of electric sheep

Ushio and Tora my friends.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Haven't read it but considering its author(s) I'm heavily skeptical it's anything like PKD. What similarities did you find? Robutts also have feelings?

Monster

Not /lit.

the only manga i've ever read/purchased was junji ito, and i own all three of his english omnibus volumes plus the cat diary desu

if anyone can approach such visceral horror (and i do mean visceral) in text, i should like to read it.

Ulysses

Oh snap I'm scared now.

How about Boruto?

Are the Manga Classics any good?

the best.

DIIIIEEETAAAAHHHH

This. If there's anything that comes close to Junji Ito's work in its surrealist horror, I would love to read it.

The drifting classroom by kazuo umezu is a very good horror manga, its lord of the flies+weird horror, but it start getting heavy later on on the purely horror stuff. I think its worth it. Also panorama of hell by hideshi hino, weird as fuck and very sad considering its based on its real life. Also I would recommend anamorphosis by shintaro kago, its more of a gore thriller but its so fucking insane.
Also what are some manga with storytelling as good as 20 century boys? I really crave dat shiet

I agree to Shintaro Kago, but only his shorts are worth it imo.

Well, Monster and Billy Bat come to mind of course. But apart from Urasawa's other series I never found anything quite like it. Maybe Bokurano.

I can recommend Kaiji for easy, adrenaline heavy reading that doesn't want to be anything more and National Quiz for a beautiful Dystopia with surreal touches.

Fuck I completely forgot about "Notebook of Murder and Killing" by kago, grat title too. Also thanks for the recs. I have seen the kaiji anime and really liked it, i will definetly give the manga a shot sometimes

Fuck yeah Urasawa. I just got 21st Century Boys vol 2 today, which completes the series. Read it online years ago, but great to have it in hard copy.

Yeah, there's a lot in it about sentience. A lot of the main characters were built as weapons of war and struggle to come to terms with their actions. There's also a detective character who is pretty Deckard-esque.

who /fishbowlgirl/ here?

Is there something that's at least partly reminiscent of Kumeta Kouji's (author of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei or Joshiraku) kinda dark, quirky, fourth wall breaking, sometimes exaggerated humor that usually comes from overanalyzing lots of different things, mostly in culture or in others behaviours?

Golden Kamui

Is this any good? A friend dropped it because of its batshit insane plot among other things but I barely remember his reasons or parts of the summary I read.

Yeah, it's good as hell.

I'd like to recommend this. Its written by the same guy that did Akagi and Kaiji. It absolutely destroys me every time I read it. Its basically a character study of a 40 year old socially inhibited construction worker.
I'd like to describe it a bit more, but I cant do it justice. Just read the first couple of chapters.

I'd doubt it exists but go ahead

>called the drifting classroom
>only moves once
I read this and hoped that it would be about the school going to loads of different realities with different monsters in everyone. Still good though, just a misleading title.

I would be really grateful if someone had an idea

I really want to watch the show. Too much backlogged atm.

I don't read a lot of manga.

Maison Ikkoku
Cross Game
Nausicaa
Here is Greenwood

What should I try next? Anything similar to Mitsuru Adachi out there?

Something aesthetic please

Catch 22 maybe?
Really hard choice considering the appeal of the manga lies mostly on it's aesthetic panels rather than the plot itself, I can't think of anything but I'm really interested if someone has a book that manages to create a similar atmosphere to it

Notes from the Underground

Huh. I've been meaning to read it, just havent gotten to it.
Whats the best translation?

Yeah, Catch 22, and I think Heller generally (read a bit of Something Happened), is probably something closest I've read so far.

some good gambling novel like pic related

Children of the Sea.

I imagine the frustration lmao. Also lately i have been reading the higurashi no naku koro ni original visual novel and found it extremely good, way better than the shitty anime. Does someone know some mangas that are good psychological horror like it?

Kawabata's Thousand Cranes

Hunter x Hunter

oh shit, seconded

I've read my good portion of gambling manga and none came close to the works of Fukumoto. Kaiji reigns supreme, apart from him I enjoyed Tobaku Haouden Zero (although I found the sequel very average). I'm pretty sure I would also enjoy Akagi, but I just don't understand Mahjong.

Liar's Game is another big gambling manga, but it's basically always the same storyline over and over until it gets annoying. Two geniuses who outsmart themselves all the time and talk about game theory. Fun for the first three games, boring for the next 300.

When it comes to feeling, I'd say Battle Royale, although something very different, comes close.

Oh shit, I just read you were looking for a novel, sorry.

Try Tekkon Kinkreet

My favorite manga

Please recommend me a novel with a similar one-sided destructive homoerotic attraction as Griffith's attraction to Guts. If it has a cute twink being tortured brutally for a year, all the better.