Bourbon General

What is the best whiskey and why is bourbon?
What is the best bourbon and why is it Angel's Envy?

I love this stuff. So smooth. Taste like brown sugar and vanilla. But kinda expensive.

I settle for Buffalo Trace on a cheap night. I'm from Kentucky so I support the local economy.

Any bourbon lovers out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sazerac_Company
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_Suntory
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>he read people trashing bourbon on a whisky thread and started a pro bourbon thread.
Like i already said, bourbon is for children. It is the candy of alcohol as op described.

I've been on this board for about 2 minutes tonight. I didn't enter the whiskey thread. I just enjoy bourbon.

Bourbon is great. A true nectar of the Gods. But it's still second fiddle to scotch. That smokey peaty goodness that warms the soul and lifts the spirits will never be topped.

Personally love some malt scotch. Corn is for Mexicans.

>What is the best whiskey
Islay Scotch.
>and why is bourbon?
It's not.
>is OP a raging homosexual?
Magic 8-ball says "all signs point to yes".

>Bourbon thread
>post pic of Rye

I too enjoy a nice bourbon. Woodford and Knob Creek are good ones as well.

Islay scotch has become a meme at this point.

nah, rum is sickenly sweet. Rum is definitely the candy of liquor.

Maybe i havent had the right brands but my experience has been the opposite.

>What is the best bourbon and why is it Angel's Envy?
that's a funny way to say Blanton's, friend.

If you're a fan of Blanton's, do yourself a favor and snag a bottle of RHF. Same Buffalo Trace mashbill #2 (high rye) as Blanton's, but quite a bit burlier (still no age statement, but likely from stock a couple years older) and at 100prf it stands up to a cube better if you like you whisky with a rock or two.

Forgot image.

i'll snag some after i finish off the van winkle 12. good stuff, but it's also meme-tier on name recognition and the price reflects that.

MY FELLOW BLANTONS BOIII

>tfw trying to find Four Roses Small Batch

I like Whiskey (all forms) but all I can afford is cheap shit under $25. What do you guys recommend? I usually get Jim Beam. Sometimes I splurge for Tullamore Dew or Woodford's Reserve.

i had some four roses the other day, but i didn't get to enjoy it because i got sick and stayed sick for a day and a half. now that it's run its course, i'm thinking of trying some more. i'd already had a pint of evan, so i couldn't enjoy it at all.
if anyone has a par bourbon for a similar price, please feel free to make recommendations.

>tfw Kentucky fag and every Kentucky bourbon is right up the damn street.
I didn't actually enjoy my batch of Four Roses, the aroma and taste matched a little poorly in my opinion. I personally loved 1792. Look for Bottled in Bond or pay the extra money for the good stuff. Bad bourbon won't be expensive.

>1792
>Bottled in Bond
Are these actually what they're called? I live in suburban Massachusetts and bourbon is not much of a thing here

That stuff is like $100+ a bottle.

1792 is just another brand. It's the year Kentucky was founded.
Bottled in Bond has to do with a certain amount of time the bourbon has been held in storage under government supervision and by government regulation and shit. There's a bottle of cheap Bottled in Bond called Old Bardstown, and it's pretty damn good. But can't say I've ad too many others.

The real stuff that is... Not the "we need to get this on the shelves as soon as possible" stuff.

>I'm from Kentucky
HEY! 270? Wanna fugg?

Gotcha OK. It's been a long while since I've actively gone after bourbon, I've grown to really enjoy it over the last few months.

Well, be aware, most bourbons have been bought out by Japanese parent companies. It's all stock market bullshit. Keep a sharp eye out.

You raise more questions than you answer, user. What does that mean? I know Japan likes its whiskey but it sounds like reverse cultural hegemony based on your post

it means that chinkers are buying up large swaths of american manufacturing on our own soil and therefore have a right to say what is and what isn't "product"

Not always, but its not uncommon.
I mean, here; The Sazerac Company owns more than a few distilleries in Kentucky and their based out of Louisiana.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sazerac_Company
And it's a private company.

But here's the chaser;
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_Suntory
They own Maker's Mark

Excuse me, sir.

Call them Nips. Please get your ethnic slurs correct

yes. sorry.
it means that nips are buying up large swaths of american manufacturing on our own soil and therefore have a right to say what is and what isn't "product"
thank you for correcting me. i'm just a dumb mississippi boy.

i fucking hate the name of that company. fer resunz

omg. thank you.

Only the biggest liquor store in my town has it. I have to drive for a half hour to get there but it's worth it. Fucking delicious.

Any /ryeboys/ here? Pic related, Old Overholt, and Redemption are some of my favorites

before he died, Elmer T Lee was the best whiskey Value on earth. It was single barrel, and a liquor store had to buy a whole barrel to sell single bottles. If you could find it, you could have a bottle of bourbon for $35 that rivals Pappy itself. I know this for a fact because i blind tasted both.

But then, Elmer T Lee died. Prices for barrels started to go up (not that he had anything to do with the whiskey production - BT just named it after him) Then the word started to go up that this stuff was magic in a very inexpensive bottle. Prices went up even more. The tragedy of the commons took over, quality went down, price went up and a perfect open secret was ruined.

2 Gingers is alright, but better for mixing than drinking straight. I've always liked Bushmills; whether or not you prefer it to Jameson is a matter of personal preference, though Bushmills will definitely be cheaper. Get Cutty Sark if and only if you wanna feel like a protagonist in a Murakami novel; it's not paint thinner bad, but it definitely isn't great (the Prohibition Edition at 100 proof is actually pretty good, but usually closer to $30)

in your experience you have been dubbed a retard

You're likely paying an import tax of some sort it's usually $55 to $60

He did say 'best', not 'affordable'.

I'm 502 boi.

Get out of here you westy.

this

I purchased that last 6 bottles available online in my country before the price hike took over

a tragedy that it isn't available anymore

best ~$20 bottle

how is Russel's Reserve 10

>buys a batch of 8 year old buffalo trace
>puts it in a different barrel with some vanilla beans for 2 years
>names it some cutsey name and says its 10 year old bourbon even though the company has only been around for 2 years

every "new" bourbon out there (i.e. the labels that have all appeared in the last 5 years or so) buy partially aged buffalo trace and then put their own spin on it. Think about it. You can't have a bourbon start-up label if it takes 12 years to make bourbon.

>Candy of alcohol
What jungle armpit of the world do you live in that you haven't seen the dozens of types and brands of flavoured vodka that are flavoured after actual sweets?

>Islay
>Muh liquid smoke
>Muh peaty flavour
Gay. Speyside or death.

Yup, I used to work at BevMo like 6 years ago and I swear the number of new bourbons available has doubled or tripled since.

I love Blanton's - it is my house bourbon actually - but I also recognize that it's not particular interesting. It is always a well made and solid quaff, and there's enough going on to always satisfy, but it's also unlikely to really wow (but it also never disappoints).

It's $55 for me. Used to be $30 before the bourbon boom.

(forgot pic - dead Blanton's corks; please ignore the meh scotch in the background; it was given as a gift years ago).

>Whiskey
>Scotch

I think you have an 'e' there that doesn't belong, friend.

If you don't mind ryes, Old Overholt is hard to beat at $15.

>Ignore the meh scotch, it was a gift
Why don't you drink it than, you unappreciative, classless loser? Someone was nice enough to buy you a bottle and this is how you show your appreciation?

It's halfway empty actually. But I have so much other alcohol though that I'm rarely in the mood to drink a scotch I don't particularly like.

I generally prefer Scottish whisky (and it is a lot more accessible here in Scotland which helps) but I really like some bourbons too. Current favourite is Wild Turkey 101, closely followed by Bulleit. Tried Buffalo Trace which everyone seems to rave about but I found it pretty bland. Jim Beam white is surprisingly good for how cheap it is, Makers is ok, and WT81 is pretty average too. Didn't like Devils Cut much but the JB double oak was good.

What should I try next?

Four Roses, if you can get it there.

Had a quick look on amazon:
>single barrel £40
>small batch £28
>yellow label £22
Which one should I get?

I've only tried the entry level Yellow Label which was very good. The small batch is highly recommended on here.

I'm kind of bored of smooth whiskey's and want something with a good kick, any suggestions?

what do you consider "smooth"? genetally speaking, anything labeled "cask strenght" will have some good kick

Johnnie Walker Black, Woodford Reserve for examples.

Can't tell if amerilard or just manchild. Might be both.

Lagavulin.

Do you want spice or smoke?

For spice, I would suggest rye or rye-mash bourbons like wild turkey or bulleit. For smoke look into islay scotches like laphroaig or ardbeg.

I prefer spice, liked wild turkey 101

Bulleit would be my next choice. Their rye is pretty good too. Also Jim Beam Black or Evan Williams Black. Old Grandad too (the spicier version of Basil Hayden’s).

Okay, so got sent here by the alcoholic thread. I know it's bourbon based but can anyone shoot me some tips about Japanese whiskey? I'm not an avid drinker but would like to start a bit of a collection and being a Floridafag makes importing kind of a bitch

Japanese Whiskeys can range pretty much from the sweetness of a bourbon to the smokiness of a Scotch. What kind of tastes are you looking for?

I'd like to be somewhere in the middle, still a bit of a kick, like a smoky warmth, but I don't have to be 85 and jaded to like it

>I liked islay before it was cool

Its still good, brotato chip. It's just more accessible.

Mars iwai Tradition seems right up your alley. get the white label version

Seconded for bulleit rye. The sniff is godly and its got that sweet sweet burn thats perfect at the end of the day.

got a bottle of this for christmas, anyone know if its good? i have a feeling my buddy got it just for the sake of the cool axe on the package
(sorry for polluting the bourbon thread with scotch but thats just how its gotta be)

Highland Park is excellent. Or it used to be, I have no idea if the quality is the same nowadays.

8/10
pls try harder
you’re not being a big enough douche

being this ignorant

>Angel's Envy
>Buffalo Trace

Holy fuck, are you me?

How's Hibiki? My mom used to drink it all the time, she was business type that drank a lot.