Tfw you're backed up with so many religious books including gifts and loans you haven't any time for secular reading

>tfw you're backed up with so many religious books including gifts and loans you haven't any time for secular reading

Forgive me, Shakespeare

hey outis

glad to see you here

i gonna study philosophy at the university, but your posts make me think that it's empty ..

give me some recs

For philosophy? Parmenides, Heraclitus, Plotinus.

For religion, On the Acquisition of the Holy Spirit, The Ascetic Homilies of Isaac the Syrian, and The Way of a Pilgrim

what are you currently reading / planning on reading next

>tfw should read Shakespeare but too busy reading everything else

Volume 3 of Alfeyev's Orthodox Christianity. Going to read a book on Saint John of San Francisco next. Also reading the Bible heavily

I want to become a Christian. Any books you can recommend? I have so many recommendation charts, but I would prefer personal recommendations. I'm especially concerned about cultivating faith.

Kierkegaard, Girard

>Parmenides, Heraclitus
What's the point of reading these guys when what exists is highly fragmented?

The Path to Salvation, the New Testament (multiple times). Read psalms standing up and do prostrations every day

Read them and see. Or don't.

I have read them

You can read them very quickly and what survives is really interesting.

Suicide

What did you find interesting from either of them?

Interested in becoming a Muslim any recommendations bookwise?

Heraclitus' ideas of the seemingly contradictory nature of reality is cool, I especially like the aphorism about the barley drink that needs to be constantly stirred or it separated out, it's only staying in the same state when constantly moving. Or the example of the river, different water is running over you when you step into it at different times, even though it's the same river. They're like little nudges to get you thinking about how you categorise things in the world.

Parmenides is super interesting because he's one of the earliest to approach a systematic laying out of his philosophy, although in the form of a literary poem and with big leaps in logic. Namely, that he lays out an argument against the possibility of non-existence or nothingness, and extrapolates from that to say that there can't be distinct objects because there would have to be gaps between them but gaps would have nothing in them which is impossible in Parmenides' view so he proposes monism. And several other arguments lead on from that.

He was wrong about the physical world, but it's a fascinating look into early attemps to systematise arguments for a particular viewpoint.

Afraid not, except for Al G

Thanks for a great answer

The Quran

...hazali?

>interested in becoming a muslim
Depending on where you live, commit some crime and convert in jail.

Yeah, he's like a devout Muslim Hume

The Closing of the Muslim Mind.

Any books of his in particular?

Which Muslim books did you read when studying the religion?

Τι Κάνετε Ουτης I'm also orthodox and I would the say best theology book is Vision of God by Vladimir Lossky. Would you suggest any orthodox books I can read up on? Ευχαριστώ πολύ

Neat! A person that might can help me! I am looking for a thorough dissection/study of St. John's Revelation that is more literary than religious. Everything I've found (not much admittedly) comes across as a lazy conspiracy theory as opposed to a thoughtful reading. Hell, most of the barely remember to mention Daniel.

where can i find these charts?

Bump