>Arubian princess walks up to me
>"what book are you reading?"

>tfw no one ever sits next to you anywhere and asks what you're reading

>be me
>reading nietzsche
>got a whip in my suitcase, too

those are the eyes of a man resigned to demise

so what?
That which is falling, deserves to be pushed?
He who laughs best today, will also laughs last?

Suicide

I can't decide if it's worse being asked, or not being asked. I used to think it would be easy to make conversation with someone asking about my book, but instead almost every time that scenario comes up I feel like I have no way of explaining what I'm reading, or, more likely, why I'm reading it. Anything nonfiction seems to demand an explanation as to why you're bothering, and at least for me it's tough explaining why philosophy and history are entertaining/valuable to someone who doesn't already share that belief.

i made that feel and she asked me for coffee.

>tfw a girl never sits next you
>or if they will they do not ask you anything because in your culture there exists no small talk

youtube.com/watch?v=QOBCJ_71Y4s&index=9&list=PLDamP-pfOskNegO0pIzSXjnkha52jYUSF

Shut the fuck up Durkheim

>"use your body language to make yourself available to be talked to"
>kid goes by on scooter yelling MROOOW

A few months ago I was on the bus home after work. There were a lot of empty seats but I was sat relatively near the front so I didn't think anything of it when a cute asian girl sat next to me. I was reading "The Myth of Sisyphus" which has a pretty unrecognizable cover and is pretty boring for normies, but about fifteen minutes into it she came out with, "This is so weird, but I've literally just finished reading that book!"

I didn't really know what to say, I just made a joke about how it ends (get it because it's about suicide) and she laughed. She got off the bus before me and left saying "Enjoy your heightened state of consciousness while it lasts". I didn't have a snappy retort.

never happens. they'd rather stand than sit next to me, nevermind actually start a conversation.

>tfw your culture = nothing but small talk is mandatory between people who no each other, and frowned upon between people who don't.

>tfw a girl sits next to you on the train and doesn't ask what you're reading
Nobody has ever asked me that other than my father tbqh.

>cute girl smiles at me
>instantly fall in love, imagining our future together etc etc

im such a fucking beta

>no seats left on bus so cute girl sits next to you
I miss hs bus rides

>oh, well, it's just, heh
*smirks*
>have you heard of Wallace?

same
and there is no pick up culture, you can't just approach a girl and ask for her number
it even sounds weird when you say that in my language

where are you from?

I feel like flights are the adult version of this. I seem to get very lucky with getting seats next to cute girls who are now forced by societal norms to make light conversation with me.

>All seats are taken
>Girl has to sit next to you
>Apologise to her

it has really great prose...heh...

Why is it betas fall in love with any girl that pays the slightest amount of attention to them

Because they never get attention from the opposite sex

are you a finngol by any chance?

Am I an alpha then? I don't sex women either.

for me its mostly low self esteem

>girl asks me what i'm reading
>if you want to know, tell me a book you've read first

I've gotten stephen king, 50 shades of grey(introduced her to de sade, though), hunger games and even fucking crime and punishment (highschool curriculum, met a few girls in college who've only read c&p)

>50 shades of grey
Girl told me she was reading this a while ago

what did she mean by this

>cute girl sits down next to me
>asks me what I'm reading
>ask her what's she doing in my basement
>tfw

>tfw not even your father cares enough to ask

It was me ;)

>sitting on a bench, reading
>3ft tall homeless woman comes up to me
>asks me what I'm reading
>compliments me on reading, says I'm a smart young man etc
>sits next to me and goes on to tell me about her life and how she supposedly has 3 graduate degrees, some more doctorates and masters in various fields, knows several languages yet can barely speak to me in our native language
>I'm nice to her but eventually make up an excuse and go read somewhere else

true story

I've only ever seen mentally ill looking people, drunks, crackheads, underage or turbobogans (Australian) try to talk on trains. If someone were to ever ask me I'd probably die of fright.

>tfw never stepped on a subway train in my entire life

whats the matter your mom wont let you leave the block

I live in a tiny town hours away from the capital of my state in my South American home-country which I never left. I don't do much traveling even inside the country, or inside the state, and the only medium cities which I do visit only have bus lines and no trains.

book a flight to nyc and never look back, it's a sanctuary city, they can't touch you

I see no reason to do that right now. I'm enrolled in university and plan to finish it, after that I could go to Europe to study.

>be me
>read at night shift
>big old russian maintenance guy passes by
>sees my ereader and asks "what's this? a book? about what?“
>greek mythology
>"Oh... argo! achilles!"
>"yes yes"
>"you're smart! very good, my boy, well done!"
>his eyes glisten, he smiles and pats me on the head

good boy

>"Hehe, you know, classic literature"

Underrated post.

What are you even supposed to say when someone asks what you're reading?

>Hey whatcha reading?
>It's Dune
>Is it good?
>Yeah
>...

I'm an autist so I don't understand this aspect of human to human communication. If you ask someone what they're reading, it's a social cue to begin a conversation, right? Particularly about books? Particularly about the book that is being read?

So why the heck do they always change the subject immediately after the initial question? Very rarely someone will actually ask me what the book is about, and I'll sit there trying to condense 400 pages of a novel into some bite-sized piece of information within an appropriately non-awkward length of time which usually comes stammered out like, "It's uh... there's a desert planet with uh sandworms and uhm this guy sees the future".

This again, is usually followed by, "...oh, do you like it?" or something similarly banal and, despite the interrogative, we quickly follow a path of non-inquisitive conversation without a wit given for the topic at hand and which swiftly proceeds to goodbye's or a conversation that has absolutely nothing at all to do with any books of any kind in part because I want to read my hecking book, and I can't help but be left with the feeling that in spite of them coming up to me and asking me a question about what I'm reading, it's actually up to ME to figure out how to turn this random outburst of theirs into a productive conversation about the book I have just been interrupted from.

All I can really say is, if you're going to ask someone what they're reading, please at least give a shit about what they're reading, or actually use it as an icebreaker for a different sort of pleasant conversation that you put effort into rather than leaving them to feel like a social idiot because they haven't carried out an entertaining circus act to answer your question like an on-demand performance monkey.

t. I read at social gatherings with friends/family and get this question A LOT

I have conversations with my body pillows too, she's a big Steven King fan.

>talk with girl for 5 days
>Already super in love with her, everything I do is with her in mind
>She ghosts me
>Depressed for months
rinse and repeat

Conversations go two ways
They initiated it and expect you to carry on, until you say something interesting enough for them to talk about something

Conversations change topic very quickly too, so just follow it and talk about anything related to what's immediately at hand
Learn the difference between a conversation and a discussion, it will help you be more social

>reading on a train
How do people do this, I can't get any enjoyment from my book unless I'm sitting in my room alone under a blanket with a hot cup of coffee and it's fucking storming outside

>introduced her to de Sade
No You didnt, you fucking liar.

A coworker told me that I look like the actor for Mr Grey
>wdsmbt

get out of my fucking brain

>go to Europe

Fuck off, we're full.

Has never happened to me. Fuck you.

i had a required speech class once and one of the speeches was to narrate something. most people brought it childrens books. i brought in sade and got an A for reading the part about fucking a little boy in his ass.

That was wholesome. Thank you for that.

Many such cases. Sad!

This

I also enjoy reading while my girlfriend sleeps on my chest and i can cuddle her and read at the same time.

Public spaces suck for reading, however i did finisb a lot of books during my 4 hours of commuting a day when i was at uni

>what are you reading?
>start reading aloud until they leave

help me

>its lovecraft
>get to part about Niggerman the cat

or On the Creation of Niggers

One time while I was reading Hamlet for Uni this supermodel looking qt sat next to me and just stared at me and my book for 30 minutes
I was sweating like a fag and pretended to speedread the book because I was to anxious to understand a single word
Also I read it in English (it was a original/translated version since I'm not English) to appear like some Harold Bloom fucker
And she kept chewing some candy and the sound just made my dick diamond
:(

>cute blondie, sits fondly
>moves her lips, closer to my hips
>to peak at the cover, and finally discover
>what am I reading, she asks softly breathing

>flip to the front, and say with a grunt
>it's nothing special, I say like a devil
>hand on my lap, she's close to my sack
>as she leans forward, and I looks towards-her

>I see her warm-wet mouth, and get a hard-on down south
>petite tits, give me the fits
>as I smell strawberry scents, it keeps me bent
>ever-longing, and looking fondly

to the girl who sat next to me.

arigato gozaimasu

>reading on the train
is there anything more pretentious, more attention-seeking?

easy there bugsy..

The rabbit
He has broken his cage
Bugs
BUGS
Easy on the carrots

>tfw this happened to me while I was reading lolita

10/10

>make the cross motion from head to chests and shoulder to shoulder and mutter 'Lord save me from impure thots'
"The Bible"

"my struggle"
"no, not that my struggle"

holy fuck, the autism.

If you're reading at a family function, you're being antisocial. That person is trying to break the ice and get you involved in the party. Don't forget to live. Emerson has a line in his American Scholar speech where he indicates it's better to throw yourself into an actual experience when given the chance than hide in a book.

the dick, she wants

Oh yeah? What city then?

>tfw reading Nietzsche on the subway
>german girl comes up and asks if you've read it in German
>say I'm learning German but I'm just a beginner so I can't read it without a translation
>"Oh yeah? Say something in German"
>mfw

The madman... he posted it!

>>his eyes glisten
That's weird. Maybe you reminded him of his dead son or something

>t. Someone whose girlfriend is their cat

Honestly, she probably wasn't looking at you

jej

Yeh I know it was just my paranoia

Classic

This makes me feel really happy, thanks user

>reading mcluhan on the tube
>middle aged woman sits next to me and starts gesturing at the book
>take out a headphone, turn to her, don't say anything
>continues gesturing, almost grabbing the book
>i show her the book cover, confused
>she starts to laugh
>still havent said anything
>she gets off at the next stop

still have no idea what happened that day

>tfw this used to be me until my aunt and uncle died and I stopped seeing my extended family
Feelsbadman.desu

Why are women so scary?

I talk to them about as often as I talk to men, I even had sex with one of them, but they aren't getting any less intimidating. Does anyone have any books for this?

>even Chad has problems with girls

>She notices it's the Phenomenology of Spirit
>Oh? I heard of that before. What's it about?

PANIC

>I read at social gatherings

bugs... easy on the carrots

Jesus, you're the reason I'm hesitant to talk to other Veeky Forumsizens on PTV. I don't want to deal with some cunt sperging out and it make me look like we're mates or some gay shit.

>baby it's a book you dig?

t. literally my life

Actually happened to me. Not a good thing to read in public.

If you try to initiate a conversation on a train you are the sperg.

>family functions
>actual experiences
I'd honestly rather go to the dentist than go to a family function. Now that I think about it, I might start scheduling check ups whenever I get wind of a non-seasonal get together.

kek

>sitting on train to work
>reading Hemmingway
>girl sits next to me
>can feel her looking at my book
>suddenly starts talking about how much she loves Aldus Huxley and how her favorite book is The Island
>not sure where it came from, but sure
>spend entire time listening to her talk about how the book changed her life
>she gets off the stop before me
>think to myself how proud I am that I didn't spill my spaghetti and that I talked to a girl like a normal person
>realize fifteen minutes later I never said a word
>still my best showing while dealing with girls though

Literally today I was reading in a cafe and had to leave because a beautiful tall girl came in dressed for some black-tie type event, wearing an ankle length flowing dress with side slits halfway up her thighs. So attractive that I not only couldn't focus on my book; I even started asking myself why the fuck I was bothering with it, or with reading at all, ever.

Really demoralizing, and it happens way too often.

At least you didn't say some Nazi shit