Ready Player One

Really didn't enjoy this book. Found every sentence and line cringe inducing cheese. Found the 80s retro vibe to be self indulgent and too much of the author's own voice. It was very lazy in sending out its social message to the world and the villains in the piece were so two dimensional and trite. There was little emotion and the teenage romance seemed put on. I was so disappointed with this book, I'm sure Spielberg will make a halfway decent movie but for me the novel was extremely bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/books/comments/6vy7is/ready_player_one/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>finishing the book
>starting it at all
you're obviously a self-hating redditor, so just go back there. if it was so bad why didn't you stop, you piece of shit?

Seems like there's a thread saying the same thing about this book every week.
I'm glad he finished it if he's going to criticize it. I can't stand people who bitch about a work they didn't finish.

>I can't stand people who bitch about a work they didn't finish.

this

reddit.com/r/books/comments/6vy7is/ready_player_one/

Thought so.

I'm writing the sequel, Ready Player Two, at this very moment. About two chapters in. It takes place two years after the hunt and has a new cast of characters

Spielberg making an adaptation of a book so shamelessly fetishistic about 80's popular culture, which he helped create, is really fucking lame dude. At best you can consider it a director late in his career resting on his laurels, at worst it's masturbation.
I'm leaning toward the second option.

Still haven't picked up Ready Player One, but I'm sure you're exaggerating. I mean, this is the same guy who wrote "Dance, Monkeys, Dance," which is probably the most brilliant bit of poetic philosophy since Browning.

Please include more elementary concepts for my feeble mind, this time.

>I'm sure Spielberg will make a halfway decent movie

The trailer looks like total shit though. I know you should trust trailers too much, but makes a good point.

It's a great book if you want the author's morals and beliefs shoved in your face with hamfisted writing wrapped in a weak, nostalgia-dependent universe. This book presents no challenge, no fun, and nothing new.
> god = santa
> global warming ruined the world
> companies are evil
> literal example of virtue signalling "None of [our friendship] had changed, or could be changed by anything as inconsequential as her gender, or skin color, or sexual orientation."

>implying global warming isn't actively ruining the world as we speak

It'll have more 90's references. The main gist is that when the tesseracht was detonated during the battle for the final gate, it sent a ripple through the OASIS that revealed the general locations of the rest of the high end items still hidden. So a second race begins to find them as they'll be worth tons of money to those who can no longer hunt for the egg. IOI is financially failing because of Sorentos actions and his daughter who works for them proposes to share her resources with the MC to find the items in exchange for a share of the profits once they're sold. The prologue takes place on planet Minecraft. Franchises to be featured are: Pokémon, GITS, final fantasy, macross, WOW, MTG, and the music of Ministry (mostly psalm 69) there will be others but we'll just have to see how it all fits together

You're not alone.

>I'm sure Spielberg will make a halfway decent movie

I'm not. There's really nothing there other than nostalgia. This movie will be released to big fanfare and then quickly forgotten.

none of these things are bad really. it's the way cline presents all of it that is juvenile as fuck.

I think it depends on your expectations. If you want a mindless nostalgia romp with solid pacing them it's not bad. As far as any kind of message...I didn't enjoy it for that. The trailer looks good.

Why is someone a piece of shit over a book they read? Geez you're a sensitive twat.

>reading jewish authors
You asked for it

It's an abomination of a book and I say that as a sad manchild who watched forty year old children's cartoons about giant robots.

I'm so glad to hear this. I almost bought it the other day. I suspect anything popular these days is trite.

It's not as bad as Armada, though. :)

Spielberg is over the hill anyhow. I have no trust in his abilities anymore.

damn

Just read, is a wave on the 80s nostalgia sea... it will last until the last x and y generations gone. Z and next will just rage.

I don't really get the hate for this book.
It's an enjoyable read imo, but more like how a shitty sitcom is enjoyable when you're hungover.

Of course you'll be disappointed if you expect literary merit from this book, but if you take it for what it is (shallow entertainment) it becomes nice in that regard.