You're going to die one day

You're going to die one day

>how does this make you feel?
>how often do you really think about this?
>is this something we should confront or ignore?
>how come you haven't killed yourself already?

what literature confronts this reality?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnosis.org/library/hermet.htm#CH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Bible

i don't believe in fairy tales

>kinda scared but more dead of the unknown than actually dying
>every couple days
>how do you confront or ignore death? nothing you can do can stop it or delay it and how you feel about it is irrelevant
>if this is all I have forever, why would I end it early?

Read some Camus

Nothing specific I'm just terrified that I'll regret my time before I die if I reach old age
a hundreds of times from 9-14, rarely if ever afterwards
Ignore
Because I believe in God and subscribe to the ontological argument. I also believe that life having a meaning is a part of God being perfect.

That's irrelevant.

>You're going to die one day
Philosopher's Stone

>what literature confronts this reality?
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

It doesn't scare me.
Not often.
Confront it.
Why the rush to death?

It's difficult to fear death when you understand that any kind of afterlife is likely outside of our comprehension.

No. We will be the first generation that will live forever, technology! I'm not gonna die, I refuse.

>what literature

You should have a basic notion of philosophy. Existentialism, rings a bell? Read a stupid wiki article. What's this: absurdism, existential nihilism - it looks more like what we're looking for. Man, these pages have everything! Concepts, critiques, authors, related books and these have their own pages as well!

Bang, you just started reaching out for information like an almost grown-up person.

Instead of asking on a Taiwanese rock trading forum.

Either I won't be around to experience being dead or there's an afterlife. Either way isn't too scary, especially because the first option is literally a paradox.

I'll live forever until proven otherwise. No need to think about it.

Clamber with a heart of steel
up on the overturned keel.
Where cold is the ocean's spray
and your death is on its way.
All who've lived have had their pay
but each must die some day!

>really really scared
>used to be more often but it's a monthly occurrence or around about there
>I go back and forth because you can't really confront it but you also shouldn't ignore it
>intensely frightening of the uncertainty of the other side

It makes me feel alive
Often enough
Neither, it is something you should be aware of, but it's not going to go away if ignored or confronted, it's inevitable, live with it.
Because it will happen on its own accord sooner or later, why kill myself?

philosophy will not make your life better, trust me, OP

>t. 16 year old

Sometimes it makes me feel helpless mostly it is what it is.
Not very.
What's there to confront?
Don't wanna.

Okay, neither good nor bad.
Often enough that I can appreciate small and fleeting things
We should confront it to be at peace with it
Why should I? I am living fairly comfortably, and for all I know after death we could reincarnate, which would effectively do nothing on my current state of being.

Define better

Women are unable to appreciate literature. All they can appreciate is the aesthetic, clearly proven by your picture, she does not care about much except that camera. I take back what I said about the aesthetic ,they only care about what men think their aesthetic is, see I was almost fooled by it too. She probably isn't even myopic and I bet her IQ is sub 120.

If you live correctly you will be ready for death as the granted rest after a life full of deeds.

If there was a God humans wouldn't know his nature. The Ontological Argument is crap

Nothing depresses me more than death. I basically use drugs to keep distracting myself from the pitch black void that is life. There's no objective meaning, and even if there were I wouldn't be able to verify it. I used to only smoke, now I drink and do cough syrup, soon im.sure I'll graduate to amphetamines and then probably meth or heroin

I know this sounds angsty and all, I just cannot cope with my reality right now

>wish I'd have died earlier in my life. The only death I truly fear is a violent one, wouldn't mind getting some disease and slowly withering away desu.
>that's up to the individual. I personally feel like you shouldn't really confront it or ignore it, just accept it. It's a part of life like everything else.
>because I'm a pussy and mostly cause of my family. I feel like it'd be a dick move to off myself after they've spent so much time and effort to put a roof over my head and keep me alive for this long. If I didn't have to worry about how they'd react then I probably would've hiked up some mountain and quietly killed myself. That's partially why the concept of a deadly disease is so appealing to me. It would take away the responsibility from my hands and it would allow them to slowly accept it as an eventuality instead of having to deal with the shock and trauma of a suicide or more violent death.

you sound like you're just depressed, or that some other shit is going on in your life. Often people blame their misery on philosophical problems, when it really happens to be a case of something less profound. I'm not saying "just b urself and get laid, bro," because clearly fear of death is a legitimate problem, but those who are able to capture meaning, beauty and love in their life often do not bother themselves, or feel the need to bother themselves, of the philosophical justification for the objectivity of this meaning. I suggest finding friends and a passion that you love -- only this sensation can make you feel as if life was worth it, that it was enough, and that you will be willing to let it go when the time comes.

The ontological argument is absurd. Just because you can imagine something, doesn't mean it exists in reality. I can imagine lizard people control the world's government from its hollow core, but that doesn't mean all that and more must then exist.

1.I'm fine with it. At the moment of death our consciousness ceaces to exist, that's kind of comforting. It's not like we'll be trapped in silent nothingness till the end of times.
I imagine it to be like anesthesia without getting woken up.
What's more scary is dying a painful death.
Or for the majority of people on this board who are believers of jewish mythology getting to hell.

2. Pretty often but then I conclude it will be okay.

3.Meditation is good, also you don't need to cling on to your ego. It was rather unlikely to be born as yourself in the first place. Live according to your values and when you have to go accept it.

> I'm afraid of death so I kill myself

That's some twisted logic my nigger

>it makes me more anxious then it should, already tryed to kill myself more then one time when was younger, I just didnt had sucesso because I of fear of dying, so I stopped half-way on the acts.
>i dont realy have a number of days, but sometimes, specialy when I am in a bad modo (and taking into acount the fact that lately my life has been bad modo...)
>not sure, but probably confront, because death is literaly the END LINE sign and with tech of today, we may as well soon find a way for imortality
>because I was a fucking coward, still am and because now I have people who would be bad if I died. I just most the right to die some time ago.

I dont know one book about this, but extensive reading and times of self-reflection help a little for you to accept the inevitable. The hard part of knowing that God is dead is that there is no station after the END LINE
Tho sometimes I give myself the right to hope for something.

I hate my auto-correc so much.
Stop changing it into portuguese you piece of shit.
Is mood* not modo

>Relieved
>Every other day
>Confront
>Willpower

What this guy said. Some of that is narcissism disguised as depth (pro tip; no one cares about the whole 'woe is me bullshit).

You need some purpose buddy. Pick something, anything, pick a goal with a medium term goal (~5years) and work towards that. Careerwise, personal growth, whatever, something ambitious, something stupid or pointless.

If you fail whatever, the worst that will happen is you kill yourself at the end. (Once you realise this the only two results are suicide or living life) Aim for something and you probably find a reason along the way. Thats what happened to me and yeah, I found something. Go for it son.

I've tried that. I've been dating this girl for almost a year now and I'm convinced if I ever marry someone it's going to be her. I've tried to find a passion. I used to care so much about my high school Latin program, but I was a slacker in my other classes and now the college I'm going to doesn't even have any Latin classes. I am so deeply suspicious of other people and their intentions that I barely have any ability to form connections with other people. The only reason I can even say this now is I'm too fucked up on dxm to give a shit (or , more realistically, I can use that as an excuse to justify this to myself when I feel I'm being irrational ) . I am depressed and I have no way out it seems. I know this is pretty much a blog post at this point, I'm more just vomiting words than I am trying to be coherent

Yeah I know I'm a narcissist and even though I'm pretty smart I know I'm not smart enough to live up to what I want from myself. I don't have the willpower or the creativity. I give it a year before I off myself, right now all.that's stopping me is the promise I made to my girlfriend that I wouldn't do.it without talking to her first

The maddening thing is, I know all the steps I could take to succeed and prosper. I just don't have the willpower to follow through on any of it. I am a pseud, and I loathe that about myself, but I've spent so much of my life building that image up that it's too late to.do anything else.

I don't really mind. Being dead isn't even bad, it's just less good. I don't want to die, but sometimes I feel like I'd be okay with it if I died soon just because I've lived a good enough life so far and even having any life at all is a wonderful thing. I don't think the finitude of life is inherently depressing unless you've been raised to believe you're going to live forever. And honestly, I think there's something romantic about the idea of having lived a complete life, being an old man on your deathbed and being able to look back on a life well lived and know that that's it, getting some closure on existence.

You sound like you are 19. Frankly grow up. You aren't special until you manifest something into actuality.

Go to gym. Eat well. Wake up early every day. The shit going on in your head is as physical as it is mental. Your body and mind are one and the same.

Those are your first steps.

I know that's what I should be doing but I can't seem to muster the willpower to do it

Well shit. If you are looking for some magical moment to change your life for the better to inspire you it will not be found on an Estonian tapestry weaving forum. Fine, get off your computer and go for a 30min walk around your neighborhood everyday. Fuck me. I can't help those that don't want to help themselves.

>Either I won't be around to experience being dead or there's an afterlife. Either way isn't too scary, especially because the first option is literally a paradox.

How did it became a paradox?

I'm not afraid of death but I am afraid of dying.

If death is really a state of not feeling anything, I see no reason to be afraid of it

But I'm scared of the possibility that some consciousness after death exists. Like a never-ending haze or something

Nothing cheers me up more than the thought of death, it's like this door that is always present to me and no matter how harsh things get I always have the choice to open it and leave this room called life, not that I actually consider doing it but just the fact that death exists makes life infinitely less miserable

My own death does not move me but I'm pretty anxious about old age.

>Really looking forward to it
>Constantly thinking about killing myself so i guess constantly?
>Confront
>I have tried in the past, i am quite committed to the cause

They'd have to be perfect lizard people for the analogy to work, but even then lizards wouldn't work because we already have the idea of lizards

>I am quite committed to the cause
>isn't dead yet
I call bullshit

>Just because you can imagine something, doesn't mean it exists in reality.

Bud... maybe just start with Kant's criticism of the argument next time.

Doesn't bother me at all.
Never.
Neither.
Never got depressed enough, no guns.

I believe I'll never die.
Except the random days where I wish to die.
Nietzsche, Shakespeare, Beethoven...
They live forever.

What I am afraid of is not dying but having wasted my life with things I don't enjoy.

Also, on the other hand, being one of the last people to die because I rather smoked and hedonisted instead of preserving my body and working on life-extension technology.

Quite the conundrum.

>Takes off pressure from the rat race or anything else that I used to be very stressed about
>Every day at least. Mostly from a big picture existential perspective
>confront, absolutely. I used to ignore it when it made me feel stressed but i had this constant stress looming around, so I confronted it
>I used to think about suicide but I came to the realization that if I dislike my current life so much i'm willing to change 100% of it. I get there are certain situations where one is in constant pain from some accident/injury and death is more pleasant, but for 99% of the people who I see being suicidal, I'd recommend just devoting the rest of your life to changing it completely, it's very empowering. A lot of the time you're too concerned with other peoples' opinions to change, or you don't have the resources, but we live in a world today where if you want to you can become very tunnel visioned by the things you care about and tell everyone else to suck your dick

Key stoic texts like Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and Letters From a Stoic by Seneca help. And In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust made me appreciate just ever existing in the first place, being proud just to have been a part in this universe.

More afraid of the process than the actual concept desu.

death is the next best thing after life
about once every few months
loaded question
I don't want to

grow up, kiddo.

>There's no objective meaning
>What is survival and reproduction
Fucking kids these days.

>being afraid of death

Think about it this way: what activity could you do for 1000 years and not get bored? Not to mention forever.

And if you're still not convinced: would you still be the same person after 1000 years? Consider that you most likely barely remember what you were doing 20 years ago.

Will Theists ever be able to produce an argument that does not refer to the other persons alleged young age or a certain piece of headgear?

Imagine the Bible being a two page book full of "lol u fedora or what why u ask stupid questions lmao just believe, kiddo".

I'm going to die one day...

Guess what, op?

Your parents had sex. Oh golly!

Pretty much every adult you know has masterbated. Oh my!

BIG news. Water is wet! Whoa. Deep thoughts with op. How do you deal?

>having any kind of deep thought about the meaning of life is automatically edgy
Wew, lad. You're such an adult, so grown up. No more childish thoughts at all anymore, very manly.

You might be surprised, but most intelligent people are still curios about the world, despite no longer being 16.

Being curious about the world and waxing pseudo intellectually are two entirely different things.

You're the guy from the other thread, right? You don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of a religious person that pursues faith while simultaneously being aware of its irrationality. also, you argue like a 16 year old /r/atheism subscriber. you're only here to try to feel superior to your own mental conception of a "Theist."
Maybe you're not young. You have asperger's for sure though, right? I heard autistic people have trouble understanding non-concrete ideas like faith.

>responding to an accusation of ad hominem with multiple ad hominem arguments
What if I'm the ugliest person on this planet and I shove a big black dildo up my arse every day? Do you think this changes the validity of an argument?

>faith while simultaneously being aware of its irrationality
So you believe in what you want to believe because you like it and not because you think it is a truth?

Well, you basically admited that you don't really believe in your religion and only follow it because you like it. So I shouldn't be surprised that your best defense of it is "REDIT REDIT DEDIT".
But if you really believe in things despite them being illogical then there is nothing one could argue, everything can be true if you don't care about logic.

>muh scientific truth
Scientific truth and logic created nuclear weapons faggot. Doesn't mean that creating them was the right thing to do.

It doesn't really make me feel anything in particular.
Sometimes, idly. No drama. I've been ill for the past three years, not mortally by any means, but illness just makes it more unavoidable that yes, one day my body will give up the ghost.
This meaning what? What point is there to wallow on the fact that one part of life is dying?
Why do I need to kill myself when I'm going to die eventually anyway? I'd only kill myself to avoid being an Alzheimer's patient at the mercy of others in some nursing home, but who knows, maybe one's perception changes when the brain is already going down the drain.
What is there to confront, you angsty teenage mind?

>So you believe in what you want to believe because you like it and not because you think it is a truth?

hmm "thou shall not kill", well it's not scientifically true so it's not true that killing people is bad.

Judeo-christianity is not the answer though

Scientific truth and logic have also created medicine, transportation, the medium which you're using right now to communicate. You don't seem to have a problem with those.

Thank you for that image.

>implying these are good things

Since when is truth (outside of religion) determined how we like the consequences?

Then go die of wet ass in the woods and most of all stop using evil devilish imageboards.

Mostly terrible, but sometimes the utter impotence in the face nothingness forces me into a 'nothing matters anyway' calmness comparable to the feeling of insignificance if you think about your place in the universe.
Every day, although with varying degrees of sincerity.
You're probably happier if you ignore it, but truth doesn't care about it, nor should it. Also the whole thing with the abyss. Once you know you can't go back.
Besides I really think we should oppose death and death cults and euphemisms and everyhing that presents death in any way that doesn't acknowledge its complete terror.
I'm quite fond of life even with the great nullifier staining it.
Sometimes I do think about it without any real conviction. Fear and expectations can be worse than the thing itself.

A certain sense of urgency. Like I'm wasting my life on here when I should be doing something more fulfilling while I can.
Not particularly often.
I think it's something we should confront, dying is important I suppose.
Because I'm having a good time.

Camus sounds like what you're looking for.

>would you still be the same person after 1000 years? Consider that you most likely barely remember what you were doing 20 years ago.

If that's the case, why do you think this is a problem?
>what activity could you do for 1000 years and not get bored?

It will.
But it can also make it worse if you don't start with the Greeks.

>hurr people died of cutting their finger back in the days
Maybe if you wouldn't have such inferior genes (due to modern medicine) you wouldn't die out in the real world.

>the real world

It's not a very thought provoking realization

>you're going to finish the singleplayer one day/servers go offline one day

So what

Play the game while you can you idiot

Good argument

20th century philosophy is for low iq cucks

There can't be talk of survival without continuity of the self. If tommorow you'll lose all your memories you're still going to regard that as dying, right?

Death is fine. Life would be less precious if it went on forever.

I don't think about it much anymore but did when I was a kid.

You have to confront it before you can ignore it.

Why would I kms? Life is pretty wild and theres a lot of cool stuff to do.

>Life would be less precious if it went on forever.
Would it?

Prove it.

Yes, killing is not inherently bad. Many American soldiers fought in wars and killed. According to the bible, they all go to hell.
Turns out the world is not so simple that you can have 10 laws and everything is fine and settled forever.

Beyond me how anyone could take moral absolutism as a truth, there is no simple wrong and right, it all depends on what you want.

Empty. Cold. But kind of calm.
Pretty much every time I close my eyes or put head to pillow
I think we should ignore it. I mean, if you're careful, you should be able to lead a full life without this constantly in the back of your mind.
As cliche as it sounds, because someone asked me to care about whether I I live or die (I didn't before). So now, I'm just living.

My temporal existence will end and I will again be wholly in the infinite goodness that is God. I will lay my burden down.

Every day.

To each according to his character. I daresay the educated man has no choice but to confront a fact.

Life on Earth is so short already, why would I want to cut it shorter? There's things to do, anyway.

The Bible
>>"i don't believe in fairy tales"
Then read Plato & co. The New Testament (ie that thing the Church is built from) is mostly a rehash of their theology. Just stop being a whiny baby. Be a man.

i used to experience extreme onsets of dread about the thought. Now they're toned way down. Makes me think instead of making me want to curl up and die

once or twice a month ill have an episode of dread

confront. ignoring it makes it worse

cheesy, but life is too grand and amazing to end it prematurely. theres so much to experience and do, and so many people to form relationships with.

>unironically calls the bible 'fairy tales'
>thinks his argument has any credibility

Her hairline looks bad

>Death is fine. Life would be less precious if it went on forever.
Bah. You are despicable.

gnosis.org/library/hermet.htm#CH

He answered your question correctly. Whether you LIKE what the book's approach is or not is irrelevant.

Personally, just like everything else in life, I'll face it when I get there. Sure, it would suck if I was killed 'ahead of my time', but what are you gonna do about it?
It's sort of an omnipresent thought for me, more like breathing than any sort of active thing. I'm alive, which means at any time all that can be taken away.
I don't care whether you confront it or not. It's not like I face down a gun every day or something. It's like an examination or end of week to me, something I know is going to happen sooner or later- but it's not here yet.
I haven't killed myself because I don't see why I should. If I'm sure to die, I'll die eventually. There's no need to run into Death's arms. And even if the world after is better, I can enjoy this life while it lasts.
If there's nothing beyond, I might fear nonexistence, but only on a primal level, like I fear snakes. Facing the great cold is no easy feat for any animal, with a soul or not.

that's irrelevant. literally a non-issue. a hundred billion people have died before you and will die after you. it's just a return to the Absolute.

You fell for the stoic meme
Nice job taking away personal experience and feelings for the sake of rationalizing death

The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy

>I've spent so much of my life building that image up that it's too late to.do anything else
this is the worst part.
its the expectations you've set for yourself that stop you from acting
you know the perfectionist meme; you're so afraid of failure that you'll never try in the first place

give up your expectations and go with the flow duder
I'll say the inner game of tennis is a book that should help sort you out

neat picture, mind if i have it?